Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In 2023, who's making the best all-weather, all-season tires for the Tesla Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any concerns about a local tire shop installing vs Tesla dealer?
I always have my tires shipped to my local tire dealer from tire rack. They are a tire rack designated installer. I also ask them before buying the tires at tire rack if they can match the price, 50% of the time they match the price and the rest of the time they are so close so I’d rather give the business to local people.

When talking all season tires, there are performance and touring versions. For the best of both, the performance ones have better steering feel and better grip in the dry and wet, but the touring ones have a better ride and are quieter. The all weather tires are similar to the touring all season tires, except they have better grip in snow and ice. Following are the tires I have personal experience with.

All Season Touring - Michelin MXM, stock Model 3 18" version, have decent handling in the dry, are okay in the wet, and poor in ice and snow. They are fairly quiet, very efficient, and mediocre ride. They also have a reduced tread depth from new and durability is worse than average.

All Season Touring - Continental RX, stock Model 3 19" version, a little better handling than the MXM in the dry and wet, and slightly better in the snow, although still a long ways from good. Fairly quiet, mediocre ride, less efficient than the MXM, slightly more durable than the MXM.

All Weather - Michelin Cross Climate 2, good handling dry and wet, in the 18" version that I had, they were comparable to the 19" Conti RX, very good in the snow pretty close to a performance winter tire. Noise comparable to the Conti RX, medium ride, didn't have them long enough to get a good feel for efficiency, very little wear in the limited time I had them.

All Weather - General 365AW, overall handling dry similar to the MXM, wet more like the RX, and very good in snow and ice like the Cross Climate. Quietest and smoothest riding of all the all season and all weather tires I've had, comparable efficiency to the MXM, good to very good durability.

All Season Performance - I've had Michelin AS4, Conti DWS06+, and Vredstein Hypertrac, all three are much better than any of the above for handling feel and traction in the dry, and I think they're somewhat better for wet traction as well, but that's closer. All three of them are better on snow and ice than the MXM or RX above, but not as good as the CC2 or 365AW. For noise, they're pretty comparable to the Cross Climate 2. Between the 3 performance tires, the AS4 and DWS06+ are a teeny bit better in the dry than the Hypertrac, they're so close in the wet that I can't pick one over another, and on snow and ice the Hypertracs have a small edge. I think the Hypertrac is a bit more efficient than the other two as well, pretty comparable to the Conti RX.

The biggest differences are that there's a pretty big gap in steering feel between the all season performance tires and the others, almost as big a difference in dry handling, and the all weather tires are significantly better than any of the all seasons on snow and ice. Personally, I wouldn't bother with an all season touring tire;. There's pretty much no negative to going with an all weather tire by comparison and you get much better griop in ice and snow. If you want performance, get an all season performance tire. You give up a little in ride and noise, but the difference in handling is substantial.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SalisburySam