Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hypothetically what would be worse for my battery longevity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So from doing my research I've seen that charging your battery above 80%, keeping your charge below 20%, and supercharging can all take a toll on Tesla's car battery longevity.

So my question is since I drive anywhere between 150-250 miles a day what would be worse for my battery: Charging it to 90% every night and possibly not having to supercharge during the day or instead charging it to 80% every night and supercharging it some time during the day for 5-10 minutes to "top off" so I don't go below 20% before I get home.

I'm absolutely loving my M3P so far, and I plan on having this car until it can no longer run, so any input about how to maintain my car's battery health would be much appreciated. Thank you!

MY understanding. BETWEEN 80-20% -- (rule of thumb for most all Li-Ion batteries)

When charging to max. start driving (don't let the battery sit at max.) Leave town to beat traffic, then SuperCharge when needed. get it?

Constant improvement means you should READ your manual for when your car was built. (you can see I'm not an owner)

So from doing my research I've seen that charging your battery above 80%, keeping your charge below 20%, and supercharging can all take a toll on Tesla's car battery longevity.

So my question is since I drive anywhere between 150-250 miles a day what would be worse for my battery: Charging it to 90% every night and possibly not having to supercharge during the day or instead charging it to 80% every night and supercharging it some time during the day for 5-10 minutes to "top off" so I don't go below 20% before I get home.

I'm absolutely loving my M3P so far, and I plan on having this car until it can no longer run, so any input about how to maintain my car's battery health would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Even 80% is too high. If you can keep it below 70% or preferably 60%.

In your case I would just charge to 90% since you're not staying at that high SOC very long based on the amount of driving you do. Just make sure it's not charged to 90% until right before you leave in the morning.

Assuming you plan to sell the car before you reach the end of the battery warranty period, don't worry about it. But:

• Supercharging puts the most stress on the battery due to the very high inrush of power
  • I would avoid charging to 100%. But if you are heading out of a long trip absolutely charge to 100% before you leave!
  • And NEVER let the SOC drop to 0%!

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch

I’ve had my X for 6 years and have done a ton of super charging, always charged to 90, have charged to 100 a bunch for longer trips, and have had the battery down to 0 countless times. Not to mention over half my almost 100k miles have been while pulling an extremely large and heavy trailer. After all of this my degradation is on par with everyone else with an X of the same age with similar mileage. So all in all stop worrying about how to charge the car just plug it in whenever your home and charge it to 90 so you still have regen available .. I’ve said this a bunch on this forum but for some reason Tesla owners seem to have extreme anxiety over things about their cars. Don’t be like the rest.. just enjoy the car! That’s what it’s meant for!

MY understanding. BETWEEN 80-20% --
Nope. Thats a forum truth. People have been misinterpreted the information Tesla gives.
(rule of thumb for most all Li-Ion batteries)

No, its not like that.

There is a ton of research on this and the research results is very consistent on this.
In a few cases the conclusions is ”wrong” because of that the test setup was not good, or the conclusions was faulty because the research test setup did ”hide facts”

More or less any lithium battery is more happy at low SOC.
As Tesla has a 4.5% buffer in the bottom 0% on the screen is about 4.5% and very safe.

Lithium batteries degrade from calendar aging (time) and cyclic aging (charge/drive cycles).

For most Tesla users, the main degradation factor is calendar aging for the first five years or so. Calendar aging lessens with time.
Calendar aging increases with SOC and temperature.
Calendar aging is the degradation that most people confuse with battery lottery.

64DA2F6F-722B-4C3E-BF0C-800564B0B240.jpeg

0% in research and these tests is the minimum discharge voltage the battery cell manufacturer sets. Thats 2.5 Volts for NCA like Panasonic 2170. (100% SOC is the maximum voltage in that spec.)

Cyclic aging is the other part and the research show us that small cycles is better. Also the lower down in cycle the SOC range, the better.

If you use full cycles, 100% to 0%, the battery would hold for 500-1000 cycles before it have lost 20% (this is constant cycling, without calendar aging).
This would be some 300.000km or 200.000 miles ( -ish).
The average driver will drive about (Roughly) 1/20 of this range each year.
This means cyclic aging will cost us about 1% per year, or less.

Calendar aging with 70-80% average charge would eat some 4-8% the first year depending on the average ambient temperature.

Instead of pointing to one spefific research report, I recommend googling for lithium battery + calendar aging and or cyclic aging (or both). Try to stay away from battery universe for this as they actually have some myths in the material( otherwise, they are good). Use real research reports.

Attachments

• F6E92385-FC47-4867-B85F-F333FADB516B.jpeg
    F6E92385-FC47-4867-B85F-F333FADB516B.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: Cobe and outdoors

If you charge to 80% and don't SuperCharge during the day, how much will you come home with? Or will you run out before getting home?

Coming home at lower than 20% should be fine, as long as it is not so low that you risk running completely out of charge because you used a little more heat or AC or took a small side trip. Although if you occasionally miscalculate, an occasional SuperCharge should be ok.

In general, minimizing the time at high state-of-charge and keeping SuperCharging to just what is necessary for longer trips will be best for battery health. So (at least for NCA batteries that your Performance car has) set your nightly charging to finish just before you leave at a target state-of-charge that is just enough to complete your day's driving comfortably.

We have one M3P 2021 in a Swedish forum that drives long drives daily so he charges to 90%. Arrives at home in the end of the day with 10-25% or so.

He set the charge to be finished shortly before the next days drive ie the car stands for most of the night with 10-25%.

Last time I heard report from the owner the car had done 69K km and the range was 475 km at 100%, out of 507km new.
A energy screen calc gave 76kwh nominal full pack.
There is a lot of other M3P 2021 around with similiar range despite low miles.
This car has very low calendar aging as it sleeps the night with low SOC, but it probably has a little more cyclic aging than the other cars.
It will probably hold up good despite big cycles as the calendar aging is low.

Reactions: Park2670