Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrogen vs. Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you say 'same amount', are you talking cost? If you are talking energy value (therm, kWh), the heatpump should use much less... as in only 25-35%.

Yeah, probably.
Although I bet MN weather leads to a fair amount of resistance heating for thaw cycles and I would not be surprised in the winter COP is < 2.0 during heat pump operation.

Reactions: JohnSnowNW
When you say 'same amount', are you talking cost? If you are talking energy value (therm, kWh), the heatpump should use much less... as in only 25-35%.
I'm talking kWh. The heat pumps and new furnaces/airhandlers use as much energy as our old furnaces' blower motors, apparently.

Though, that's not the entire picture, as we also replaced our electric water heater with a heat pump water heater, in June, so some of the electricity savings can be attributed to the water heater replacement.

Our big boss once asked us to think about hydrogen transport by pipelines. That made me giggle thinking of how much hydrogen will escape thru the walls of regular pipes on its way from Houston to LA. Well, we could make pipes of thick-wall SS or some Titanium alloys... so a few people in Houston and LA can get new Bentleys and Ferraris.

One estimate put hydrogen infrastructure leakage at 2.9% to 5.6%.

EPA says nationally methane leaks are 1.4% of production, although leaks at production sites could be as high as 9%.

Just for sake of free thought…..what if they use the 75MW put it into the grid in a state with some of the highest energy costs and the most instability during peak demand, relieving a natural gas powered electric plant of its use for natural gas and in turn using the natural gas to be reformed to hydrogen by facilities that already exist. Ohhhh never mind that wouldn’t be “green” enough, as in money lining pockets

Just for sake of free thought…..what if they use the 75MW put it into the grid in a state with some of the highest energy costs and the most instability during peak demand, relieving a natural gas powered electric plant of its use for natural gas and in turn using the natural gas to be reformed to hydrogen by facilities that already exist. Ohhhh never mind that wouldn’t be “green” enough, as in money lining pockets
Based on a quick look at the company profiles, this is a laundering operation of some sort. The companies consist of a bunch of old white men with no education in technology and some basic education in business, finance, and jurisprudence. A funny fact, the boss of Electus has the last name Greene, like James Bond's Dominic Greene villain character who was using hydrogen and green energy to shell criminal operations.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and mspohr
Based on a quick look at the company profiles, this is a laundering operation of some sort. The companies consist of a bunch of old white men with no education in technology and some basic education in business, finance, and jurisprudence. A funny fact, the boss of Electus has the last name Greene, like James Bond's Dominic Greene villain character who was using hydrogen and green energy to shell criminal operations.
It’s amazing what can be seen when you look, nice work 😆

Reactions: mspohr
Let's look at it from a First Principles approach.

What's the problem? Is it Hydrogen? No. It's Carbon. So why are we talking about Hydrogen if Carbon is the problem. Mother Nature already solved the problem of transporting Hydrogen - attach it to Carbon. We already have a Hydrogen economy.

Stop pointing at Hydrogen because we need to focus on what to do with Carbon. In other words, stop misdirecting, please.

Your point is wrong. It would help to listen to people who have been following this for a long time and know a thing or two about Physics and engineering of H2 as a fuel.

Installing a charging station and installing an H2 filling station is an order of magnitude more expensive and complex, that the physics and cost do not check out. You can't overcome the physics of efficiency of extracting H2, compressing it, transporting it and then finally pumping it to the car. Also H2 is a very leaky gas.
I was purposely trying to be simplistic and only discussing the stations, but you are right about all of the other challenges with hydrogen. I think green hydrogen is a good thing but for industrial applications and as a replacement for hydrogen derived from fossil fuels.

Last edited:
This is a surprising move by Honda, Hydrogen-Powered Honda CR-V to Be Built in the U.S. Starting in 2024 . I wonder if this is more about the Japanese government continuing to push Hydrogen versus Honda believing in Hydrogen as a viable fuel source.

For whatever reason the Japanese companies seem to be only dipping their toes into the EV space and as I’ve read elsewhere customers have been responded by leaving their brands for other options.

Reactions: Electroman
This is a surprising move by Honda, Hydrogen-Powered Honda CR-V to Be Built in the U.S. Starting in 2024 . I wonder if this is more about the Japanese government continuing to push Hydrogen versus Honda believing in Hydrogen as a viable fuel source.

For whatever reason the Japanese companies seem to be only dipping their toes into the EV space and as I’ve read elsewhere customers have been responded by leaving their brands for other options.
fun fact from a rural area , within 100 miles of my home there are multiple refineries that produce copious amounts of hydrogen but there is no way to fill a vehicle.
Within that same 100 miles there are approximately 35 DCFC stations (all brands) at least 20 RV camping facilities with 100’s of camping sites collectively with 50 amp service approximately 25 L2 charging sites available to the public.
It amazes me that they are going that route but we will see how it works for them.

Reactions: mspohr and 21EV
If it works, it could lead to lots of cheap electricity which could be used to generate hydrogen.
However, thermal generation of electricity is fairly inefficient and then you have the inefficiencies of electrolysis, transport, storage, compression, etc.
IMHO while it would allow hydrogen for chemicals and steel, but it would kill current hype of hydrogen as long term storage for renewables

Reactions: mspohr