Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to install other Apps to Tesla? Is there something like the App store and Google store?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No.

There are various web based alternatives though, that people run by basically pointing the web browser to a specific website that is either online, or hosted by some device they have. Thats not hacking the tesla interface or installing apps on it though.
@jjrandorin , if you want some mild amusement test each of the Google web apps in your Tesla web browser, that are displayed when you click the "more apps" box
Screenshot_20230326-000344.png

Some work correctly and some don't, not surprisingly.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
You're going to have to use bluetooth streaming for those. For Waze and other apps, I have a MagSafe mount for my iPhone. It's possible some of those will be introduced in the future, but no way to know. The Tesla MCU is Unix based, so none of the existing app store apps will work (android, google, apple)

I spent more time than I'd like looking into why there's no Tesla app store. First of all, searching it gets you a lot of results for the app on your phone, which isn't relevant. For the screen in the car, the core problem is a flaw in the design of car internet access.

The car has only one internet connection, and it's an expensive AT&T Enterprise connection, which is bonded to Tesla's internal network. That means if a third-party app got on the device it would bypass the only thing really securing Tesla from these vehicles. It would also probably use a lot of data, which would be wasteful and expensive - better to use a generic, cheap secondary provider at likely half the price, that carries no security risks.

So, why don't they just add a secondary, generic cheap provider and put the app store on that? They'd need to build the car to handle 2 cell signals, which, given many smartphones do this already is trivial in a car, but beyond that I can't think of any meaningful limitations. The apps would need to be sandboxed so they can't attack the car or simple crashes don't take the car with it, but sandboxing is mature in both software and hardware, and has been a long time.

I spent more time than I'd like looking into why there's no Tesla app store. First of all, searching it gets you a lot of results for the app on your phone, which isn't relevant. For the screen in the car, the core problem is a flaw in the design of car internet access.

The car has only one internet connection, and it's an expensive AT&T Enterprise connection, which is bonded to Tesla's internal network. That means if a third-party app got on the device it would bypass the only thing really securing Tesla from these vehicles. It would also probably use a lot of data, which would be wasteful and expensive - better to use a generic, cheap secondary provider at likely half the price, that carries no security risks.

So, why don't they just add a secondary, generic cheap provider and put the app store on that? They'd need to build the car to handle 2 cell signals, which, given many smartphones do this already is trivial in a car, but beyond that I can't think of any meaningful limitations. The apps would need to be sandboxed so they can't attack the car or simple crashes don't take the car with it, but sandboxing is mature in both software and hardware, and has been a long time.
From the beginning Tesla's been pretty clear that they will not give up the interface/UI to anyone. They want to control it and the UX.

From the beginning Tesla's been pretty clear that they will not give up the interface/UI to anyone. They want to control it and the UX.
In the context of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, you are correct. But since 2012, Elon has been promising an SDK to allow people to build apps that would run in the car. Let's be honest, nearly all "apps" are just pretty front ends to a web-based application. The system is already well-sandboxed - you can reboot the infotainment system while driving and the car still drives. Of course Elon has promised many things (Wi-Fi hotspot, onboard music storage, etc) that have never been offered so YMMV. Bottom line though is that this is not a priority for Tesla so I wouldn't hold your breath.