Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guess who just got pulled over??? This loser!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage to me as the driver of having a front license plate, other than avoiding tickets?

No advantage to you as a driver except it's the law - just like with having a plate at all and registering the car. It gives the police or other interested parties more chance to read your plate number in more situations, if they should happen to be looking for it for some reason.

Reactions: cwerdna
How about I continue to be a (mostly) law abiding citizen, pay my registration and insurance, be responsible for all my actions involving my vehicle and I will keep my front plate off...

As always, you're free to take any action that you choose, provided you're prepared to accept the consequences that society's (often questionable) judgement deems appropriate.

Amazing how so many states don't have front plate laws and how anarchy hasn't gotten a foothold in any of them.

In most if not all states, plate and tint discrepancies are considered secondary - which is to say you can't be pulled over for them. However, I too am surprised the officer referenced in the OP didn't step up for the $300 stop sign ticket. Pleasantly surprised, as this indicates that the officer used what we call *discretion*, to his or her credit. If they had to enforce every law, and they certainly do not, all they would do is write tickets all day every day and, believe it or not, that's not the primary goal of "traffic enforcement" or of "law enforcement" - especially in Los Angeles.

The officer wrote the ticket essentially to write the ticket as a result of the stop, but didn't lower the boom for what sounds like could have been close to $1000 in tickets overall. The tint ticket cost varies widely from county to county and even by municipality, as do the almost completely unavoidable administrative fees for any ticket except the fix it ticket and some parking tickets, as I recall. It's just gotten out of hand in that regard.

The latest kerfuffle in the Beach Cities has to do with curbing wheels if an incline exceeds 3%. The attempted "They're just enforcing the law" argument was of course shot down immediately and now discussions are underway to find a balance between education and selective revenue generation. If I had to prognosticate an outcome, it would be a halving of the ticket cost and a significant increase in periodic enforcement all over town(s) so that awareness stays at an acceptable level.

The police have far better things to do with their time and generally won't go crazy writing tickets unless a) the driver is a Richard, or b) it's time for a grant-funded "zero enforcement" session, in which case everybody gets some overtime and it's a ticket-writing free-for-all (cue J. Geils).

Last edited:
That's not the point. They are the ones who have to enforce the law. If you want to respect the police, don't break laws, even if you think the laws are dumb. The police may think the laws are dumb too, but they still have to enforce them.

The police have no obligation to enforce every law nor do they have an obligation to protect or serve. These are aspirational items, not part of what defines them.

U like black cars. I'm ok with this - but it is kind of weird.
Have a look at my cars - not black - no hint of being a royal or russian mafia or drug dealer or whatever. Just an ordinary person.
beggebiler.jpg

U like black cars. I'm ok with this - but it is kind of weird.
Have a look at my cars - not black - no hint of being a royal or russian mafia or drug dealer or whatever. Just an ordinary person.
View attachment 292152

Nice pic. It could be the lighting where I'm sitting - but please tell me - are those both silver or the briefly-available titanium colour? Too light to be midnight silver/steel grey... Aha - is the Model S that original dolphin grey?

The police have no obligation to enforce every law nor do they have an obligation to protect or serve. These are aspirational items, not part of what defines them.

Enforcing a law on every violation is different from enforcing the law generally. They have discretion, they can't refuse to enforce.

As I said, if you want to show respect to the police, you won't break the law.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
Nice pic. It could be the lighting where I'm sitting - but please tell me - are those both silver or the briefly-available titanium colour? Too light to be midnight silver/steel grey... Aha - is the Model S that original dolphin grey?
For some inexplicable reason the titanium colour of the model S is very similar to my Citroen C4 Picasso from 2011. I love both cars but should really sell the Citroen. I just can't because they're so good together. Same colour inside and out. Piano black, beige alcantara/leather etc.

Ok, It finally happened. We rolled a stop sign and they got us for no front plate. Nothing about tints but have to go show them that I put the plate on. So, heres the plan. Gonna go there with the plate on with adhesive, pull out of the police station and immediately pull it off while parked outside of the precinct. Glad they didn't get us for tints because they are dark and don't want to take em off. Running one plate on both the X and 3. People, be respectful to the police, they are just doing their job. Heres some beauty shots of my two front plateless beauties.
ZackView attachment 292056
View attachment 292054View attachment 292055
It is also the camera angle, and the X looks massive since it is lowered and it sits almost at the height of the 3 because the 3 is pretty high. From this angle the 3 looks bigger
View attachment 292070
From this angle you can see the real size.View attachment 292068
looks nice mate! may i inquire who did your tint, dechrome, and wheels in Los Angeles. Im in the area too, and looking for reputable shops to complete the work.