Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Founder's Powerwall Installation Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice.

I don't see what the transfer switch does for you.

If you don't have solar production, you can pull from the PW or the grid, right? Isn't that the normal function of the PW anyway?

What is it switching between?
I would imagine that in the event there is no solar or grid power and the batteries are drained you hook up a generator to run the the circuits on the transfers switch. It sounded like he had the system before he installed the PW and solar which is usually generator fed.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Oh, I agree about that -- but he didn't mention anything about a generator alternative.

So the case is:
1. No solar production
2. Power outage
3. Batteries drained
===> use transfer switch to switch to generator power.

Also, as far as I know about solar (from my own Solarcity install), you still need grid power (or now PW2 battery power) to energize the solar inverters to get power from the solar panels. So in the situation there's no grid power, your solar system can still work powered by the PW2s (for a while). That's a nice benefit, but in the video, he mentioned the specific case when there was no solar.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Oh, I agree about that -- but he didn't mention anything about a generator alternative.

So the case is:
1. No solar production
2. Power outage
3. Batteries drained
===> use transfer switch to switch to generator power.

Also, as far as I know about solar (from my own Solarcity install), you still need grid power (or now PW2 battery power) to energize the solar inverters to get power from the solar panels. So in the situation there's no grid power, your solar system can still work powered by the PW2s (for a while). That's a nice benefit, but in the video, he mentioned the specific case when there was no solar.

You are correct. I have a portable generator that I will use in the case where my batteries are drained and I have no access to Solar power due to lack of sun (winter Months when the panels are covered with snow).

TL;DR: I was unable to get founders powerwall 2s earlier even with the prospect of signing solar contract with Tesla.

I had heard about the push to 2019 also, so I tried a different angle about a month ago...

I was in the process of deciding on a solar installer for my house. I had it narrowed down to 2 companies including Tesla. I told them if they could get me my 2 Founders Powerwall 2's at the time of solar installation I would go with them.

Ultimately I did review a contract from Tesla, but they could only commit to getting solar installed within 12 months. That's no good considering that Oregon solar discounts are reducing about every 2 weeks right now and the Federal ITC will be dropping in about 15 months.

Tesla's bid was also 14% higher on a price per watt basis. Tesla offered to price match, but they were forcing me to disclose the name of the other company. I provided them with the bid with all identifying information blacked out. That wasn't good enough. I was actually insulted that I got such a high bid from Tesla. I wonder if they assumed I would pay the premium just to use Tesla. No way...not when we're talking about thousands of dollars of a premium.

Moral of the story was I could not leverage anything to get those Powerwall 2's sooner. YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD
TL;DR: I was unable to get founders powerwall 2s earlier even with the prospect of signing solar contract with Tesla.

I had heard about the push to 2019 also, so I tried a different angle about a month ago...

I was in the process of deciding on a solar installer for my house. I had it narrowed down to 2 companies including Tesla. I told them if they could get me my 2 Founders Powerwall 2's at the time of solar installation I would go with them.

Ultimately I did review a contract from Tesla, but they could only commit to getting solar installed within 12 months. That's no good considering that Oregon solar discounts are reducing about every 2 weeks right now and the Federal ITC will be dropping in about 15 months.

Tesla's bid was also 14% higher on a price per watt basis. Tesla offered to price match, but they were forcing me to disclose the name of the other company. I provided them with the bid with all identifying information blacked out. That wasn't good enough. I was actually insulted that I got such a high bid from Tesla. I wonder if they assumed I would pay the premium just to use Tesla. No way...not when we're talking about thousands of dollars of a premium.

Moral of the story was I could not leverage anything to get those Powerwall 2's sooner. YMMV.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having so many issues with your local Tesla Energy Reps. I had both my solar installations performed by local companies (I like spending my money on local businesses). Since Tesla cannot expedite the installation of the Powerwall I would just go with whomever will give you the lowest bid for the installation to take advantage of the tax incentives. Good Luck

I'm sorry to hear that you are having so many issues with your local Tesla Energy Reps. I had both my solar installations performed by local companies (I like spending my money on local businesses). Since Tesla cannot expedite the installation of the Powerwall I would just go with whomever will give you the lowest bid for the installation to take advantage of the tax incentives. Good Luck

This is precisely what I did. Thanks for the feedback.

Anyone with more updated news on the Founders Powerwall 2’s? Heard rumors that they might let us exchange the prizes for “Tesla credits” that could be used to add extended service plans, buy accessories, add FSD etc. is this true? Anyone know how to go about this?

Anyone with more updated news on the Founders Powerwall 2’s? Heard rumors that they might let us exchange the prizes for “Tesla credits” that could be used to add extended service plans, buy accessories, add FSD etc. is this true? Anyone know how to go about this?

I haven't heard of the swap for credits for the Powerwall, for the Solar Roof yes. I still think we're waiting for end of spring for the referral Powerwalls to restart.

To the original poster, NYEVdriver, have you tried to use your backup generator yet? I have the same exact setup and have a portable gas generator for a depleted battery/no solar scenario. I have not yet tried using my generator since the solar/pw install was completed. Do you know if I am supposed to flip the 4 breakers for the solar and pw's off? I have a subpanel of circuits that was previously installed and it has 2 main breakers to switch from Grid to generator power. Prior to my Tesla install, in the event of a grid outage, I would just flip the 2 breakers in the subpanel, then start my generator. Thanks for any insight you can provide.