Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For Those With "Clicking" Sounds While Turning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I just wanted to share this as an FYI. My MS was experiencing clicking sounds up front primarily when turning the steering wheel to the left. However, the issue was resolved and below are the notes from the tech.

"Test drove vehicle and verified customer complaint. Found noise coming from front sub frame skid plate. Modified skid plate and test drove vehicle, customer complaint was corrected".

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ahisaac and David99
The noise is actually coming from the steering rack to the front sub frame.. that's the specific answer. They fix it by adding a shim to the steering rack mounting points, it's a technical service bulletin and a known issue. The newer Model S has a totally redesigned steering rack that's designed in house. I forgot which vehicle the original steering rack is from but it's from another vehicle.. i want to say range rover but I can't remember. I had the same issue as well and I'm very close to the techs and engineers at Tesla and was inquiring about that hehe.

-Larry

The noise is actually coming from the steering rack to the front sub frame.. that's the specific answer. They fix it by adding a shim to the steering rack mounting points, it's a technical service bulletin and a known issue. The newer Model S has a totally redesigned steering rack that's designed in house. I forgot which vehicle the original steering rack is from but it's from another vehicle.. i want to say range rover but I can't remember. I had the same issue as well and I'm very close to the techs and engineers at Tesla and was inquiring about that hehe.

-Larry

Good to know that your info aligned with what the tech diagnosed with my car, it makes me feel better that this is a known issue and not a "one off".

Ahh, glad I found this thread. Have noticed increasingly frequent but somewhat random clicking sounds, almost knocking, coming from R front of car, usually when first starting to drive, when hitting minor bumps or turning left. Sounds like the OP's problem. Will check with service tomorrow.

-Larry

Good to know. I had them test drive mine a while back and was told it was "In spec". Any chance someone has the TSB number so I can call and be ready for them?

Data point - P85D.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share this as an FYI. My MS was experiencing clicking sounds up front primarily when turning the steering wheel to the left. However, the issue was resolved and below are the notes from the tech.

"Test drove vehicle and verified customer complaint. Found noise coming from front sub frame skid plate. Modified skid plate and test drove vehicle, customer complaint was corrected".

I'm experiencing the same issue. I took it in on Thursday last week and have an Appt for this Tuesday. I'll have more details once the work is underway / completed.