Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

for those that transferred their FUSC <March 31, 2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
I'm looking to get an interim car with SC01 FUSC (Free Unlimited Supoercharging) and Tesla warned me even if Tesla re-introduces FUSC transfers, I might not be able to transfer to a new MS as she thought it only applied to the original owner. This doesn't sound right, just thought I'd check with you guys...

Thanks!

I'm looking to get an interim car with SC01 FUSC (Free Unlimited Supoercharging) and Tesla warned me even if Tesla re-introduces FUSC transfers, I might not be able to transfer to a new MS as she thought it only applied to the original owner. This doesn't sound right, just thought I'd check with you guys...

Thanks!
The 3 previous quarterly FUSC transfer offers did not require one to be the original owner. That's not to say any future offers would. Tesla call the shots.

Reactions: easyev
Upvote 0
The 3 previous quarterly FUSC transfer offers did not require one to be the original owner. That's not to say any future offers would. Tesla call the shots.
That’s what I was thinking thank you very much! My wife thinks I should get over my obsession for free supercharging and just pick a better car and not worry about that. 🤔

Upvote 0
That’s what I was thinking thank you very much! My wife thinks I should get over my obsession for free supercharging and just pick a better car and not worry about that. 🤔
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about FUSC. I've got it and it probably saves me a couple hundred dollars a year...definitely less energy and less money saved compared to my 4.8kW solar array. However, the term "better car" has me curious. In my mind, a better car is a car that is reliable. I'm not so keen on the newer Teslas as it just seems like a roll of the dice as to whether or not there will be problems. I'd rather deal with the devil you know rather than the devil you don't know. 10.5 years/140K miles in our old S85 with about $10K (DU, TPMS, & rear defroster) in warranty repairs has worked out pretty well for us so far.

Upvote 0
Actually, Tesla confirmed it’s SC01 according to the dealer they bought a lucid so it didn’t get (obviously !) transferred
Is the car currently owned by Tesla? I'm not sure how to interpret your last comment and whether the "dealer" refers to the local Tesla service center or a 3rd party dealer that currently has the car. If the car is back in Tesla's ownership, then there is no guarantee that when the sell the car to you that they will leave SC01 on the car. It's been widely understood that any time the car goes back through Tesla's hands that they will strip off SC01. So I would be very reluctant to bet on gettin SC01 unless you have a chain of ownership from the prior owner to you that does not go through Tesla in any way.

Upvote 0
I hear what you’re saying but my 2015 had sc01 and was transferred to a new owner through a third-party dealer. He reported back no credit card needed. He has free supercharging and premium connectivity.

Concerning the 2016 it’s at a Chrysler dealer. I I drove it to a supercharger, plugged in without a credit card and it charges perfectly.

Then I went to Tesla with the VIN number and they confirmed it has SC01 free supercharging and MCU1 and recommended the 12 V battery might need replacing.

Do you have any personal first-hand experience with this type of transaction? Ie did you purchase a car and lose the supercharging?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hear what you’re saying but my 2015 had sc01 and was transferred to a new owner through a third-party dealer. He reported back no credit card needed. He has free supercharging and premium connectivity.

Concerning the 2016 it’s at a Chrysler dealer. I I drove it to a supercharger, plugged in without a credit card and it charges perfectly.

Then I went to Tesla with the VIN number and they confirmed it has SC01 free supercharging and MCU1 and recommended the 12 V battery might need replacing.

Do you have any personal first-hand experience with this type of transaction? Ie did you purchase a car and lose the supercharging?
I've purchased both of my cars new through Tesla, including transferring my SC01 FUSC over to my new 2023 MS LR in end of 2023. If the car went from the first owner sold directly to the local 3rd party dealer, then there is a good chance you are OK, but no way I can guarantee that. Does the current Chrysler dealer have access to the car via the Tesla app, meaning the ownership through Tesla was transferred to them? If so and it still has SC01, then that gives me more confidence you'll be OK, but it's so hard to be 100% certain on SC01 transfer unless your are dealing directly with the prior owner that I always hesitate stating conclusively that you will be OK.

My suggestion is if this car is one you'd buy at the current price even if it didn't have FUSC, then go for it. If you still get FUSC, great, that's just a bonus.

Actual savings from FUSC is so variable based upon you specific use case, but if you want to do some work, you can figure out what FUSC has saved you on your current car. Download all your charging history off the Tesla app. If you do that as .csv files, you can then pull those into something like excel. It will show you what the unit cost ($/min or $/kWh) for each station along with the number of minutes/kWh. While it will show zero cost, you can use that rate data to calculate what the cost would have been if you had paid. That's the most objective way to see what FUSC actually has saved you.

Good luck on your decision.

• Love
Reactions: easyev and aesculus
Upvote 0
I bought my '15 MS from a Toyota dealership a couple of yrs ago. The FUSC (SC01?) and Premium connectivity DID transfer to me.
I had to add a CC in the Tesla app just to transfer ownership, but I've never been charged for supercharging.
Do most of my charging at home, so my savings would be minimal. I've probably saved more overall from the free connectivity than charging.
I can't speak to the reliability of how/when FUSC is transferrable. But from the leftover settings that were in my MS when I first bought it, it didn't look like the Toyota dealership had reset anything. So if their ownership of the car was strictly "on paper", and they never set up a new account through the Tesla app, then an educated guess would be that from Tesla's view, it would appear to be an owner-to-owner transfer, leaving the FUSC intact. But that's just a guess. I don't have an example of a dealership setting up an app account, then selling the car to compare my experience to.

Upvote 0
I've purchased both of my cars new through Tesla, including transferring my SC01 FUSC over to my new 2023 MS LR in end of 2023. If the car went from the first owner sold directly to the local 3rd party dealer, then there is a good chance you are OK, but no way I can guarantee that. Does the current Chrysler dealer have access to the car via the Tesla app, meaning the ownership through Tesla was transferred to them? If so and it still has SC01, then that gives me more confidence you'll be OK, but it's so hard to be 100% certain on SC01 transfer unless your are dealing directly with the prior owner that I always hesitate stating conclusively that you will be OK.

My suggestion is if this car is one you'd buy at the current price even if it didn't have FUSC, then go for it. If you still get FUSC, great, that's just a bonus.

Actual savings from FUSC is so variable based upon you specific use case, but if you want to do some work, you can figure out what FUSC has saved you on your current car. Download all your charging history off the Tesla app. If you do that as .csv files, you can then pull those into something like excel. It will show you what the unit cost ($/min or $/kWh) for each station along with the number of minutes/kWh. While it will show zero cost, you can use that rate data to calculate what the cost would have been if you had paid. That's the most objective way to see what FUSC actually has saved you.

Good luck on your decision.
I really appreciate your detailed reply and help with my decision, sorry I'm taking to long to get back to you.

The P90D with FUSC is an okay car but not a great one. I like the colour, but the paint needs a fair bit of work. Lots of chips and scratches. The Nav keeps spinning trying to connect for updates etc but won't connect. It's MCU1 and tesla says the only fix is upgrading to MCU2 for C$3100 + tax. I had a similar problem with my 2015 and remember it being a memory chip issue or something that was covered by warranty but I opted for the new MCU. like I said the car is OKAY but not great. Losing the free supercharging would be a big letdown that's for sure. The car charged to 373KM at 90%, is that good? it was supposed to be ~426 at 100% when new.

I did some rough math on the SC savings and think I've saved about $1500 at most over 8 years. It really isn't a lot and my wife keeps reminding me we have chargers at work, home, and most hotels we visit, so, forget about the free charging and buy something newer with FSD upgradeability, sentry mode, and other nice features. She's probably right, but the price is great on the '16, and yes, I'm still stuck on the idea of free (albeit slow!) supercharging, in hopes of transferring to a newly redesigned (48V low volatage system like Cybertruck etc) Plaid in 2025 or so. She wants me to get the new Taycan. Neither are in the cards for me financially atm.

I'm looking at a 2017 P100D that looks pretty nice, no FUSC but man it's quick, but has the yellow bars on screen and to fix it permanently Telsa said it's "time for a new screen" which I think is included with MSC2.0? I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm looking at a 2017 P100D that looks pretty nice, no FUSC but man it's quick, but has the yellow bars on screen and to fix it permanently Telsa said it's "time for a new screen" which I think is included with MSC2.0? I'm not sure.
You said MSC2.0. Did you mean the MCU2 upgrade? If it's upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2, then yes, both the main screen and the instrument panel screen above the wheel get replaces as a part of that fix. Otherwise not sure what you mean by MSC2.0 or if that includes a screen replacement or not.

Upvote 0