Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you just buy a Tesla from Hertz Car Rental?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently Hertz has ~470 Tesla for sale; not 100,000 not 20,000 ... less than 500.

Hertz is not listing all the cars for sale at once; flooding the market will just depress prices. Either way, this so-called EV replacement is just part of a regular sale of used cars with high mileage. The articles say Hertz is selling 1/3 of their EV fleet. This is because Hertz sells 1/3 of their fleet every year to replace with new vehicles. Nothing Hertz is doing is specific to EVs, much less Tesla.

And Hertz is definitely not desperately trying to sell their Teslas ... their listed prices are on par with the prices on the Tesla website of cars with FSD and equivalent mileage.

By the way, anyone who is buying a Hertz Tesla need not be stressed about battery warranty. The Model 3 has been around for 6 years now with very few reported cases of battery failure. Those who have had a battery replaced did so at around 300k miles. The Teslas that Hertz bought are around 2 years old now. If you buy one with 80k miles, you still have another 10 years of use out of the original battery.

By the way, anyone who is buying a Hertz Tesla need not be stressed about battery warranty. The Model 3 has been around for 6 years now with very few reported cases of battery failure. Those who have had a battery replaced did so at around 300k miles. The Teslas that Hertz bought are around 2 years old now. If you buy one with 80k miles, you still have another 10 years of use out of the original battery.
I wouldn't be so confident about that. Of course we don't have stats for a large population, only Tesla has that but there for sure have been Model 3 pack failures within and outside of pack warranty.

My battery failed after only 3K miles - unclear of model

You can find more here by Googling for these:
site:teslamotorsclub.com "model 3" pack failed
site:teslamotorsclub.com "model 3" pack replaced
site:teslamotorsclub.com "model 3" battery failed

Here are some more that didn't make it to even 200K miles: My battery failed after only 3K miles,

I'd be concerned about costly drive unit and pack failure once their warranties are over. Here are some Model 3 drive unit failures that I collected by 2021: Tesla 3: Second drive unit failure in under a year.

Let's see if any of these buyers of Teslas from Hertz are still on the pack and drive unit that came with their car 9 years from now. Hope they're still around to report back.
Hertz is not listing all the cars for sale at once; flooding the market will just depress prices. Either way, this so-called EV replacement is just part of a regular sale of used cars with high mileage. The articles say Hertz is selling 1/3 of their EV fleet. This is because Hertz sells 1/3 of their fleet every year to replace with new vehicles. Nothing Hertz is doing is specific to EVs, much less Tesla.
Do you have a source for your bolded claim?

As for "Nothing Hertz is doing is specific to EVs, much less Tesla", that seems incorrect. See their own SEC filing at SEC Filing | Hertz Global Holdings, Inc. on this. It's the Jan 11, 2024 filing from SEC Filings | Hertz Global Holdings, Inc..

Some key quotes:
"Hertz Global Holdings, Inc. (the “Company” or “Hertz”) has made the strategic decision to sell approximately 20,000 electric vehicles (“EVs”) from its U.S. fleet, or about one-third of the global EV fleet. These vehicle dispositions, which were initiated in December 2023 and are expected to take place in an orderly fashion over the course of 2024, will cover multiple makes and models. EVs held for sale will remain eligible for rental within the Company’s fleet during the sales process. The Company expects to reinvest a portion of the proceeds from the sale of EVs into the purchase of internal combustion engine (“ICE”) vehicles to meet customer demand.
The Company’s decision to reduce its EV fleet
The Company expects this action to better balance supply against expected demand of EVs. This will position the Company to eliminate a disproportionate number of lower margin rentals and reduce damage expense associated with EVs.
It is expected that the planned reduction in the EV fleet and reinvestment in additional ICE vehicles will improve Adjusted Corporate EBITDA across 2024, as vehicles are rotated, and in 2025, by which time all of the vehicles included in this plan are expected to be sold. "

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so confident about that. Of course we don't have stats for a large population, only Tesla has that but there for sure have been Model 3 pack failures within and outside of pack warranty.

My battery failed after only 3K miles - unclear of model

You can find more here by Googling for these:
site:teslamotorsclub.com "model 3" pack failed
site:teslamotorsclub.com "model 3" pack replaced
site:teslamotorsclub.com "model 3" battery failed

Here are some more that didn't make it to even 200K miles: My battery failed after only 3K miles,

I'd be concerned about costly drive unit and pack failure once their warranties are over. Here are some Model 3 drive unit failures that I collected by 2021: Tesla 3: Second drive unit failure in under a year.

Let's see if any of these buyers of Teslas from Hertz are still on the pack and drive unit that came with their car 9 years from now. Hope they're still around to report back.

Do you have a source for your bolded claim?

As for "Nothing Hertz is doing is specific to EVs, much less Tesla", that seems incorrect. See their own SEC filing at SEC Filing | Hertz Global Holdings, Inc. on this. It's the Jan 11, 2024 filing from SEC Filings | Hertz Global Holdings, Inc..

Some key quotes:
"Hertz Global Holdings, Inc. (the “Company” or “Hertz”) has made the strategic decision to sell approximately 20,000 electric vehicles (“EVs”) from its U.S. fleet, or about one-third of the global EV fleet. These vehicle dispositions, which were initiated in December 2023 and are expected to take place in an orderly fashion over the course of 2024, will cover multiple makes and models. EVs held for sale will remain eligible for rental within the Company’s fleet during the sales process. The Company expects to reinvest a portion of the proceeds from the sale of EVs into the purchase of internal combustion engine (“ICE”) vehicles to meet customer demand.
The Company’s decision to reduce its EV fleet
The Company expects this action to better balance supply against expected demand of EVs. This will position the Company to eliminate a disproportionate number of lower margin rentals and reduce damage expense associated with EVs.
It is expected that the planned reduction in the EV fleet and reinvestment in additional ICE vehicles will improve Adjusted Corporate EBITDA across 2024, as vehicles are rotated, and in 2025, by which time all of the vehicles included in this plan are expected to be sold. "

For sure there have been instances of battery failures - there have been millions of Model 3 vehicles sold at this point. It's just a fact.

Rental car companies like Hertz typically keep their cars for about 2 years. So every year they replace 1/3 of their fleet with new vehicles.

Reactions: FatM3 and XCare EV

And Hertz is definitely not desperately trying to sell their Teslas ... their listed prices are on par with the prices on the Tesla website of cars with FSD and equivalent mileage.

Hertz is selling 1/3 of their EV fleet and not replacing them with EVs for now. The cost of the EVs were higher than ICE and the demand was less. They said they were too early, but still think EVs can play a role with rentals later.

Hertz also never purchased 100,000 Teslas, they order 50,000 and stopped, now they are removing a group of those.

Ok! I got some really good info to share. I was able to get my Tesla transferred to me! This only applies if you bought a Tesla from Hertz.
I'll go through what worked and what didn't.

What didn't work:
1. The Hertz Car Sales people are useless. They don't know anything.
2. The Hertz Emergency EV support line tried their hardest. But they don't have access to vehicles that are not currently an active rental.
3. Fidelity (the after-sales support company that Hertz uses) is more than useless. They don't know anything about Teslas, let alone how to transfer ownership. And they take forever to answer your call.
4. Adding a vehicle through the Tesla.com website did not work because it required me to change the vehicle name to a 3-letter code at the last step. Because Hertz locked my car in Guest mode it did not allow me to change the vehicle name. As such, the last step can never be completed. If you are able to change your car's name, maybe it'll work for you and you don't have to go through all the steps below.

What did work:
0. Make sure you already have a Tesla account. You don't need to have any cars or anything in your account. Just create an account at Tesla.com first if you don't already have one. Make sure you are connected to WiFi (tap the antenna icon at the top/right corner and connect to your home WiFi). Hertz Teslas do not have premium connectivity, so the car will not have access to celluar data. Anything that Tesla does on their side needs to be received by your car. So your car must be on WiFi to receive that.
1. Call Tesla's support line at 1-888-518-3752.
2. Choose vehicle support.
3. Explain that you bought a used Tesla from Hertz (3rd party) and your vehicle is in Guest Mode. You want to transfer ownership of the vehicle from Hertz to you.
4. The Tesla agent will ask for your Tesla account email, the car's VIN, and other information. They will send you an email requesting some more information, such as the VIN again, email address, home address, phone number, and you will need to attach photos of your driver license and bill of sale/registration/something that shows you own the car. Tip: Take good pictures with your phone. Don't send dark, fuzzy, out of focus pictures. Do it right the first time so you don't have to do it again.
5. Reply to the email and send all requested info to Tesla. The case number is in the subject line of the email, so don't change anything in the subject line.
6. The agent should receive it right away and start the process.
7. Shortly after you should get an automated email from Tesla saying that a vehicle was added to your account. For me, it took maybe 5 minutes and I got the email. I verified at Tesla.com that the car with my VIN was in fact in my account.
8. Thank the agent and continue to the next step inside your car.
--------
9. On the touchscreen, tap the car icon at the bottom/left corner.
10. Tap Control - Service - Factory Reset (you may have to scroll down if your screen is set to Large Text).
11. It'll ask for your Tesla login. Enter the email and password for your Tesla account.
12. The screen will go dark for a couple of minutes. Then you'll see the "T" logo as the computer starts up and eventually you'll see the main screen.
13. Since everything was reset, you might need your Key Card/Key Fob (your phone key was reset) and you can begin to set everything up again. Don't forget to set up WiFi first. While I was changing some settings, the screen blinked and the "T" logo came up like it just rebooted. I thought that was kind of strange. I don't know why it did that, but everything was fine afterwards.
I'm quoting you for attention and a direct question.
1. Did your Tesla qualify for the $4000 EV "tax credit"/refund?
2. If yes, then was it POS?
3. If no, was it over $25K or do you not qualify for income reasons?

Thanks!

Reactions: Skavatar and IdaX
I’ve been searching, tagging, and watching sub-$25k 2021s and 22s on Hertzcarsales.com and they tend to disappear 8-24 hours later.
Someone is buying these cars.

I don't see why not. A 2022 Tesla Model 3 with 80k miles is going to be a really good car for another 10 years. 2022 is the best model year for the Model 3 IMO.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and IdaX
Any Tesla that's on Hertz website is likely already sold because they only update the site over night.
The best way to get a Tesla is to find one that is not yet available, but is available for "Rent to Buy". Then you set the earliest day to rent it. You can keep the rental for 3 days at $65/day. When you turn in your rental, you can decide to buy it or not. If you buy it, the $65/day is part of your down payment.

And here I thought they all needed a $20k battery the day after the warranty expired.

…or they are good for a million miles.

At least, that’s the impression I get on YouTube and this forum.

Nobody knows if some batteries may actually survive a million miles. No one is crazy enough to drive 150k miles/year for 7 years straight yet ...

The highest mileage Model 3 units I've heard of are mentioned in this thread: High mileage check-in

NO I did Not! Gota be lacking brain matter to by a rental car.
thanks for your expert level advice.
Agreed, had a rental 3 from Hertz and it was beat. There's a possibility you can find one that hasn't been destroyed, a small chance but a chance nonetheless lol.
door panel replacement via eBay. Center console? Glove box? seat? steering wheel that people replace with carbon units anyway?

This seems like a rather cheap way for someone to end up with a nice car. 🤷🏿‍♂️

What do I know. 😂

I never understood the stigma with rental cars. All the dozens of cars I have rented over the years were in great shape, except one that had the suspension shot for some reason - I had to drive it right back for a replacement vehicle. Knowing what I know about Tesla, I would love to get a high-mileage 2022 Model 3 at a big discount. If anyone has a 2022 Model 3 with 100k miles, I'll buy it from you for $20k, assuming normal wear and tear.

Dents, scratches, curbed wheels, headliner stained, peeling steering wheel, awful smell.

That’s just a small portion of what was wrong lol.

Thanks for sharing. Frankly, I have not rented from Hertz much, but the few times I did rent from them their cars were flawless. If I ever got a smelly car from a rental company I would request another car immediately. A smelly car is just unacceptable.

Reactions: buckets0fun