Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivered yesterday, today $7500 discount rolled out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is a 'problem' with steps in prices. all the people trying to wait until next year to get tax credit hurts this year. tesla pulls in an equivalent credit but there is still an 'edge'. you get a similar effect at on/off peak superchargers: last night my wife observed more than half of a 12 stall supercharger occupied by teslas parked at charging stalls... but waiting until 8pm to plug in to get the lower rate.

#nostealershipmodelsftw
Can you clarify? Are you saying that this incentive models feels like a regular dealership model? If so, I agree.

I took some time to think about these incentives since I missed out on all 3 ($3750, 10K and the additional $3750). Nov delivery. Car was in the shop for 4 weeks, picked it up in Dec.

On one hand, I can't complain that we're able to own this car. On the other hand, all the wait due to rubber banding EDD, questionable delivery experience due to build quality, now the icing on the cake, value drop, makes it feel like I'm back dealing with an old school dealership but with less interaction or anyone I can actually complain to, lol.

Took delivery on Dec 10th... only got the $3750.
Asked them about the 10k free supercharging miles and got a "you don't qualify! thank you!"

Funny if you reply back to their reply and say "Hey, it's me again, so do I qualify for the new incentives?" lol.

Honestly, I really don't think their system is even able to do any retroactive discounting and that's why the sales advisor tells you to talk to your service advisor. The service advisor can potentially $0 out parts, services, etc. but I don't think anybody have the ability to give actual $$ back. At least not the folks that we usually deal with.

It's not like a regular dealership where you can walk in and talk to the Manager and pull a Karen/Ken, lol

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Daekwan
I totally understand the frustrations of those who just took delivery and missed out on the additional $3,750, but this really isn't that different from buying stuff on Amazon (or other places) sometimes. I sometimes buy an item on Amazon and discover a day or two later that the price had dropped, sometimes significantly from when I bought it. It pisses me off when that happens but I also know I run the risk of having the price go up or the item selling out if I didn't buy at the point I bought the item at a price I could accept. I don't fault Amazon when that happens, and I don't think Tesla is obligated to retroactively offer the new discount. That said, it's certainly not awesome to miss out on bigger savings, and I'm sympathetic to those who took delivery just before this bigger discount was offered.

Reactions: Electroman
The Tesla order page says delivery between Dec and March. The $7,500 discount reads like a 'maybe' to me, since it requires delivery before the end of the year. It is possible that deliveries delayed into 2023 will be eligible for a federal tax credit but that is not certain either.

Those that took delivery earlier this month and gained a $3,750 discount played the safe bet. 'A bird in hand is worth two in the bush' comes to mind.

Last edited:
I totally understand the frustrations of those who just took delivery and missed out on the additional $3,750, but this really isn't that different from buying stuff on Amazon (or other places) sometimes. I sometimes buy an item on Amazon and discover a day or two later that the price had dropped, sometimes significantly from when I bought it. It pisses me off when that happens but I also know I run the risk of having the price go up or the item selling out if I didn't buy at the point I bought the item at a price I could accept. I don't fault Amazon when that happens, and I don't think Tesla is obligated to retroactively offer the new discount. That said, it's certainly not awesome to miss out on bigger savings, and I'm sympathetic to those who took delivery just before this bigger discount was offered.
Although I understand your analogy, utilizing Amazon is not a good play. They probably have one of the better return, price match policy compared to most retailers. If there's a price drop within the return period, just go to their customer service portal and ask for a partial refund. If not, you can simply return and buy it at the updated price (That's what one CS rep instructed me to do).

Although I understand your analogy, utilizing Amazon is not a good play. They probably have one of the better return, price match policy compared to most retailers. If there's a price drop within the return period, just go to their customer service portal and ask for a partial refund. If not, you can simply return and buy it at the updated price (That's what one CS rep instructed me to do).
That is true. I was actually thinking more of Amazon Japan, and the items I buy there tend to be collectible items, so I don't think return/price match is easy to do, if even possible, as someone who does not live in Japan. But anyway, that was what came to mind because there have been a few times I bought something there and was kicking myself a few days later when I saw the price drop.