Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California HOV decal delays?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same question as above. I purchased in Sept 2018. Have yet to apply for a HOV sticker (did not need it).

Moving to a new house in Oct where I can benefit from HOV access.
Can I simply wait until Jan 1 2020 to then get the new sticker good until Jan 1 2024?

Random thought: EVERYONE knows what a Tesla is. Do you really need these stickers? What CHP is going to pull you over for not having one?
So, indeed, the CHP knows what an EV is, and knows the rules for HOV lanes. The problem is when an ICE/non-carpool driver is stuck in traffic in lane #2, and a solo driver speeds by in the passing/HOV lane. The idea is that maybe the p*ssed off driver might see the stickers and regain composure. The problem is when the driver does not see stickers and calls 911 to complain. This is an extra non-urgent call that CHP must respond to. The CHP officer is p*ssed off as well, and if he/she sees that you don't have the proper stickers, then they are compelled to give you the big ticket. So indeed the CHP will pull you over, especially if the got a call. But also they are supposed to ensure compliance with the HOV lane as there are Federal rules on road congestion and state use of HOV lanes.

Random thought: EVERYONE knows what a Tesla is. Do you really need these stickers? What CHP is going to pull you over for not having one?
The stickers have an expiration date now and M3's have been around long enough that some might have already passed that date and no longer qualify to get into the HOV lanes. If it hasn't happened already I think this Jan 1 there will be a lot of EVs that no longer will be eligible, i.e. their stickers expire.

The stickers have an expiration date now and M3's have been around long enough that some might have already passed that date and no longer qualify to get into the HOV lanes. If it hasn't happened already I think this Jan 1 there will be a lot of EVs that no longer will be eligible, i.e. their stickers expire.
Right on. I’m not a CHP officer but it seems like a massive waste of time to pull over a Tesla for not having a “clean air” sticker. I think I’ll take my chances during the handful of times a year I need to use the lanes solo.

So, indeed, the CHP knows what an EV is, and knows the rules for HOV lanes. The problem is when an ICE/non-carpool driver is stuck in traffic in lane #2, and a solo driver speeds by in the passing/HOV lane. The idea is that maybe the p*ssed off driver might see the stickers and regain composure. The problem is when the driver does not see stickers and calls 911 to complain. This is an extra non-urgent call that CHP must respond to. The CHP officer is p*ssed off as well, and if he/she sees that you don't have the proper stickers, then they are compelled to give you the big ticket. So indeed the CHP will pull you over, especially if the got a call. But also they are supposed to ensure compliance with the HOV lane as there are Federal rules on road congestion and state use of HOV lanes.
I do not disagree with your statement but I think you’re making a lot of assumptions. That scenario has all of the Swiss cheese holes aligning and you falling through into a ticket.

Those stickers look like ass and I do not want to give California any more money. I also don’t drive freeways frequently enough during peak traffic times. Thanks for the response!

Those stickers look like ass and I do not want to give California any more money. I also don’t drive freeways frequently enough during peak traffic times. Thanks for the response!
$22 for up to 4 years of HOV access hardly seems like a money grab to me. And if you had a commute every day where this helped, then an ass-looking sticker to give you an hour of your day back is a small vanity price to pay.

And as other posters have said, access is only valid for 3 years + the remainder of the year you received it. The Model S has been out for almost 10 years now, and the first Model 3s started expiring this past Jan, so they can't just assume all Teslas have access now.

I wish they could go by one of the stickers on the license plate. Just make the year sticker a certain color if your car has access to HOV.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
I do not disagree with your statement but I think you’re making a lot of assumptions. That scenario has all of the Swiss cheese holes aligning and you falling through into a ticket.

I am making no assumptions. This is what I have been told. You don't have to believe it...it's your nickel & risk. Enjoy. Not sure how much commute driving you do (as you noted, infrequently), but I do see CHP enforcement especially on the Bay Bridge.

$22 for up to 4 years of HOV access hardly seems like a money grab to me. And if you had a commute every day where this helped, then an ass-looking sticker to give you an hour of your day back is a small vanity price to pay.

And as other posters have said, access is only valid for 3 years + the remainder of the year you received it. The Model S has been out for almost 10 years now, and the first Model 3s started expiring this past Jan, so they can't just assume all Teslas have access now.

I wish they could go by one of the stickers on the license plate. Just make the year sticker a certain color if your car has access to HOV.
Sticker on license plate already denotes the year, so you can tell if tags are expired from a distance by color.

Sticker on license plate already denotes the year, so you can tell if tags are expired from a distance by color.
CHP needs to able to quickly/easily identify if the car has access while they could be in the #2 lane stopped and the HOV lane is going by at 70+. That's why there's a sticker on the front (can see it in the side view mirror) in addition to the big ones on the rear sides.

CHP needs to able to quickly/easily identify if the car has access while they could be in the #2 lane stopped and the HOV lane is going by at 70+. That's why there's a sticker on the front (can see it in the side view mirror) in addition to the big ones on the rear sides.

THAT’S the reason for the front stickers !

I only ever see them come up from behind. Not parked on the side looking at the front.

In my area there isn’t “always” room for them to park on the side. Freeway and location depending.

I'm not sure what you are referencing here.... Vehicle reg stickers in california go on the rear only unless it is a commercial vehicle above 10k GVWR in which case they go on the front only. The sticker color already denotes the year the tag is. HOV stickers are totally different. Someone was referencing using the stickers on the license plate to denote HOV access, which is what I replied to

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
I'm not sure what you are referencing here.... Vehicle reg stickers in california go on the rear only unless it is a commercial vehicle above 10k GVWR in which case they go on the front only. The sticker color already denotes the year the tag is. HOV stickers are totally different. Someone was referencing using the stickers on the license plate to denote HOV access, which is what I replied to
I meant to reply to the other post w/some info about why just a sticker on the license plate is probably a no-go.

Reactions: Trekker_