Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue vs White Paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard a lot of people on YouTube and Tiktok say to get the white paint to help with the heat of the car when it’s left outside in the sun. However, it seems like everyone in my town has a white Tesla so I was thinking about the blue paint. Does anyone know if the blue car gets just as hot as a black or gray car?

I have heard a lot of people on YouTube and Tiktok say to get the white paint to help with the heat of the car when it’s left outside in the sun. However, it seems like everyone in my town has a white Tesla so I was thinking about the blue paint. Does anyone know if the blue car gets just as hot as a black or gray car?
I go with @jhonnycnote, get the color you want. It all gets hot in the summer. I have a black MY that stay outside in FL.

Though,
Invest in a GOOD roof sunshade. That matters.
If you have the wood dash, keep it oiled with a good furniture polish.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
I got the blue and love it! My overheat protection does go on while I am at the gym if I don’t put up the sunshade but the car doesn’t get that hot inside here in Colorado - which is saying some. I think if you live somewhere like AZ?

I would get what you want. I would be too worried about white panels not matching. There is always a trade off with Tesla so just enjoy the color 😎😳

What about Silver?

The blue is harder to keep clean but I am very happy with the choice. Join the blues 😀

Upvote 0
I have blue and love it. Get what you want
+1. There are WAY too many white ones around, since that was the no upcharge color for many years. Worst case white vs black is 125º vs 135º - hot either way. Blue is probably a couple degrees cooler than black. I'd get the color you want to look at, what's 10ºF for summer only. Might be a benefit in winter.

"The Mythbusters experiment can be a good example when comparing the temperature in white cars vs black cars. They pitted a white car against a black one and put a thermometer inside them. After a certain time, the white car’s temperature reached 125°F and the black car’s temperature was 10 degrees more than that."

Upvote 0
I go with @jhonnycnote, get the color you want. It all gets hot in the summer. I have a black MY that stay outside in FL.

Though,
Invest in a GOOD roof sunshade. That matters.
If you have the wood dash, keep it oiled with a good furniture polish.

Cheers!
Never thought about oiling the wood dash! Will do it this weekend when I wash the car!

Upvote 0
Not on Ys, but having both colors I can say go white; Tesla's paint is garbage and blue will show imperfections a lot more. Unless you are meticulous with keeping the car clean or plan on paying extra to have the paint protected, bird poop, tree sap, etc. will destroy the paint. Better have a heat gun ready; you'll need to do this to correct paint issues if you leave crap on the paint too long:

Upvote 0
In some more 'Musky' moments of inspiration, I was thinking about having my artist friend do a PPF mask design for the front-end with a design that looks like a lizard (Think "Toothless" from HTTYD franchise with a chameleon tongue) with a large dragon-fly like insect in its mouth (bumper concavity being the mouth) and headlights as eyes. Quite likely the idea is better in the imagination than in real life, but still...

Here in FL, we're going through the semi-annual 'love bug' season, which really makes a mess of leading edges of the car - with the bug guts having a potential to destroy paint if not promptly removed. The black-ish color of bug splats makes a white car a major PIA after driving through a swarm of the critters. Darker colors are much less noticeable with the splat army attack.

Upvote 0
get the blue bro 😎 stunning !
Beauty of it is that in sunlight it looks like a deep ocean blue and in cloud or dusk it has a darker hue. 2 tone tbh.

IMG_2938.jpeg
IMG_3066.jpeg

Reactions: Chris89topher
Upvote 0