Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Wall Connector Position? Front or Side?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
Guys, thinking of adding a wall connector for my wife's Y, rather than running the mobile connector under the garage door. What do you think the best mounting location would be? Front of Garage, on Pillar, or side, on brick? Thanks for weighing in!
Overview - Copy (2).JPEG
Front Pillar - Copy.png
Side of Garage - Copy.png

Done ✅

OK charge connecter installed, original one moved to proper side. Thanks for pointing this out guys. Turns out the best position for wife’s charger is not front or side (of house) but inside 😃

Still need to do a little drywalling and patching up, but much better than having to sneak between the car and garage door to get at the charger, holding my breath the whole way as to get through there!

IMG_0011.jpeg
IMG_0012.jpeg

Upvote 0
Here's a drywall trick: When you cut out the plug, instead of cutting perpendicular to the surface, cut at a 45 degree angle, pointing the saw into the plug you're about to remove. That way, when you are ready to reinstal the plug [1] just butter up the edges and offer it up to the hole and it should fit fairly nicely and be held in place by the draw angle of the cut you made.

Also, don't try to cut a square, but cut some kind of raggedy-assed shape - that way you'll easily be able to tell which way you should mount the plug. If it's a square, it won't be and you only have a one in four chance of getting it back correctly.

[1] I see you put a batton behind the plug - the 5 gallon paint stirrers at Home Depot are good for that

Upvote 0
Thank you for the drywall tips believe me I need all the help I can get. I’m a bit of a fanatic for good drywall, which probably holds me back lol

Really not crazy about the look of this center mount but definitely so much more convenient to plug in the car.

My wife’s Gen 3 charger on the other hand has much smaller cable and looks way easier to deal with. Definitely thinking of replacing mine with the newer one, if only for the more flexible, lighter cord Wi-Fi, and replaceable face plates. Mine is screaming out for the deep metallic blue cover!

Upvote 0
Well, it’s been 13 years and I haven’t done it yet! I’m just so on the fence on things like this. I read somewhere painting, the inside helps keep the outside in better shape by keeping the moisture and better sealing the door. Then there’s all that door hardware. Hmmmm. I definitely want to deal with that cord mess in the middle.

Reactions: Dracaris
Upvote 0
Here are 2 suggestions for you.

1. Use this horse washing boom from Tractor Supply to get you charger cable up and out of the way. It's cheap, around $45 and if you don't have a local Tractor Supply you can order to ship.

You can put the charge cables inside the pipe. I just zip tied it to the outside.

2. Skelly Box: Put a couple cheap Harbor Freight furniture dollies under it to make it easy to move around AND put an old door on top of it and call it a WORK BENCH!

The battle with my garage continues. Current score CARS - 0. JUNK - 100

Attachments

• 20230105_152324.jpg
    20230105_152324.jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230105_152337.jpg
    20230105_152337.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230105_152356.jpg
    20230105_152356.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230105_152251.jpg
    20230105_152251.jpg
    632 KB · Views: 22
Upvote 0
I’ll catch up soon sorry for not replying your great responses. My wife single-handedly dismantled Skelly box and dragged the whole thing downstairs while I was working out, I was amazed! Too big to fit through the doors!

We did it! If it wasn’t for one of you guys saying clear the garage out and park the car (!) you would not be looking at this picture now. Thanks!

IMG_0171.jpeg

Upvote 0
Sweet! BTW, speaking of Skelly, just today in my neighborhood I saw one of his bros in front of a home, wearing a Santa hat and a big white beard. I thought of you guys! :)
Appreciate it! I often find myself recalling these posts, especially when navigating our Tessys—in parking situations to dodge curb rash! Given how close Halloween is to Christmas, it makes sense to maximize usage. I came across a video of someone stealing one, so, as my grandfather wisely said, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." I took precautions by wrapping a bicycle lock around the base. :)

Reactions: Dracaris
Upvote 0