Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All US Cars capable of FSD will be enabled for one month trial this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...even on V12.3.6, drivers are split between it being wonderful and it being not worth it.

I think there is a not-insignificant number of people (myself included) who think "hey this is pretty cool and works pretty good [with certain room for improvement] but I don't see a value in it for me."

Since I have EAP, I could upgrade for just $2K US, but TO ME, it really doesn't do anything for me and my driving style. I am very happy with AP and the lane-changing and Summon that EAP adds. I rarely use NoAP as I do not like many of the lane and route choices that the car makes (for example, it still doesn't properly take into account the time saved by using HOV lane access even though I have it enabled). I do use Smart Summon on rare occasion, but it is still mainly a cool party trick

But I still feel it is pretty amazing technology none-the-less and I look forward to how it develops in the future.

Reactions: BitJam and gtae07
Software 2024.14.6 with FSD 12.3.6 installed this weekend on both cars (2022 MYLR and 2023 M3RWD). First experience with FSD but heavy AP user. Overwhelmingly positive. I'm providing settings and context for the conditions under which FSD was activated as I would expect that different scenarios would yield different results.

Settings:
  • Acceleration: Chill Mode
  • FSD Profile: Assertive
  • Automatic Set Speed Offset: On
  • Speed Limit: Relative with +5MPH offset
Summary:
  • Transformational. My wife and I were impressed with how a sub-$50K and a sub $35K vehicle could offer this level of driver assistance. I already felt next-level support with AP for highway driving especially at night) but the FSD experience significantly exceeded our expectations.
  • Approximately 250 miles across both vehicles. Used in both daytime and night. Some rain, but mostly clear. Mix of residential, suburban, and interstate driving, including parking.
  • One of my favorite benefits is being able to just focus on the road at night in unfamiliar areas, knowing the vehicle will watch the map, make the appropriate turns, and monitor a 360 view for other vehicles.
  • 95%+ of the time, it feels like a regular driver. Surprisingly smooth, but sufficiently aggressive.
  • Looking forward to the steering wheel nag being removed.
  • At $99/month, I will likely be subscribing for summer months when I will be driving longer distances more frequently as well as other months where I have long trips planned.
  • At $50/month (even $600/year paid up-front), it would be an easy decision to subscribe year-round.
  • Summon is fun to try in an empty parking lot but it is not ready for real-world use. Looking forward to trying Actually Smart Summon.
Situations Where Disengagement Occurred:
  • Debris on the road (looked like napkins and a fast-food bag), so I took control to steer around it.
  • Left turn out of a business (no traffic signal) across a busy 4-lane road (2 lanes in each direction). This was the only time we didn't feel confident that the vehicle was capable of acting safely.
  • Super slow and inconsistent navigating out of parking lots.
  • Moved too far to the right of the curb lane during a 1/4 mile stretch of county road at night with a low curb. Navigated the same stretch of road just fine in daylight the next day.
  • At the end of a trip, the on-screen message says navigation has ended, but when I put on the brakes or take control of the wheel, the vehicle sees it as a disengagement.
Interventions:
  • Used turn signals occasionally to move out of high-speed lane. Tested a few time to see how it works.
  • Had to use the accelerator to proceed with a left turn when a full traffic light was flashing red.
  • Tried both manual and automatic speed offset. I like the automatic setting, but don't like losing the ability to turn the scroll wheel to increase/decrease speed.
Other Observations:
  • Zero disengagements on a 33-mile, 40-minute trip through residential, commercial, highway (through multiple interchanges), and industrial areas. The only interventions were adjusting speed, trying out the initiation of lane changes using the turn signal, and the aforementioned use of the accelerator to get through the flashing red light. The MYLR pulled into the parking lot, and I used the auto park to back into a space. Only one disengagement on the way home at night due to the debris in the road mentioned above.
  • Multiple 10–to-20-minute drives with zero disengagements.
  • I turned off Joe Mode so I could hear the turn signal and not be surprised when the vehicle changed lanes.
  • Navigated unlined neighborhood streets and around parked cars including times when cars were coming in the opposite direction.
  • Appropriately stopped on a two-lane road for a FedEx truck blocking the lane and safely went around it when it was clear.
  • Numerous safe and comfortable left-hand turns against oncoming traffic. I would have been a bit more aggressive on a couple, but never felt like it was to a point where it would irritate other drivers.
  • Appropriately turned right on red.
  • Easily navigated a roundabout at night.
  • Appropriately waited for cars in other lane of highway on-ramp when my lane had the Yield sign.
  • Excellent acceleration and merging onto highways.
  • I like how it automatically moves out of the rightmost lane on the highway.
  • Appropriately handled complex highway interchanges and moved to the appropriate lanes.
  • Left and right turns are both made into the closest lane, then the turn signal is activated to change lanes if needed.
  • Appears to slow down to let a car into your lane if they have their turn signal on.
  • Parking was quicker and more efficient than expected. It performs much better when you first drive past the space in which you want to park.
  • No phantom braking, but I've only experienced maybe a half-dozen mild instances in over 25,000 miles of driving.

Last edited:
Software 2024.14.6 with FSD 12.3.6 installed this weekend on both cars (2022 MYLR and 2023 M3RWD). First experience with FSD but heavy AP user. Overwhelmingly positive. I'm providing settings and context for the conditions under which FSD was activated as I would expect that different scenarios would yield different results.

Settings:
  • Acceleration: Chill Mode
  • FSD Profile: Assertive
  • Automatic Set Speed Offset: On
  • Speed Limit: Relative with +5MPH offset
Summary:
  • Transformational. My wife and I were impressed with how a sub-$50K and a sub $35K vehicle could offer this level of driver assistance. I already felt next-level support with AP for highway driving especially at night) but the FSD experience significantly exceeded our expectations.
  • Approximately 250 miles across both vehicles. Used in both daytime and night. Some rain, but mostly clear. Mix of residential, suburban, and interstate driving, including parking.
  • One of my favorite benefits is being able to just focus on the road at night in unfamiliar areas, knowing the vehicle will watch the map, make the appropriate turns, and monitor a 360 view for other vehicles.
  • 95%+ of the time, it feels like a regular driver. Surprisingly smooth, but sufficiently aggressive.
  • Looking forward to the steering wheel nag being removed.
  • At $99/month, I will likely be subscribing for summer months when I will be driving longer distances more frequently as well as other months where I have long trips planned.
  • At $50/month (even $600/year paid up-front), it would be an easy decision to subscribe year-round.
  • Summon is fun to try in an empty parking lot but it is not ready for real-world use. Looking forward to trying Actually Smart Summon.
Situations Where Disengagement Occurred:
  • Debris on the road (looked like napkins and a fast-food bag), so I took control to steer around it.
  • Left turn out of a business (no traffic signal) across a busy 4-lane road (2 lanes in each direction). This was the only time we didn't feel confident that the vehicle was capable of acting safely.
  • Super slow and inconsistent navigating out of parking lots.
  • Moved too far to the right of the curb lane during a 1/4 mile stretch of county road at night with a low curb. Navigated the same stretch of road just fine in daylight the next day.
  • At the end of a trip, the on-screen message says navigation has ended, but when I put on the brakes or take control of the wheel, the vehicle sees it as a disengagement.
Interventions:
  • Used turn signals occasionally to move out of high-speed lane. Tested a few time to see how it works.
  • Had to use the accelerator to proceed with a left turn when a full traffic light was flashing red.
  • Tried both manual and automatic speed offset. I like the automatic setting, but don't like losing the ability to turn the scroll wheel to increase/decrease speed.
Other Observations:
  • Zero disengagements on a 33-mile, 40-minute trip through residential, commercial, highway (through multiple interchanges), and industrial areas. The only interventions were adjusting speed, trying out the initiation of lane changes using the turn signal, and the aforementioned use of the accelerator to get through the flashing red light. The MYLR pulled into the parking lot, and I used the auto park to back into a space. Only one disengagement on the way home at night due to the debris in the road mentioned above.
  • Multiple 10–to-20-minute drives with zero disengagements.
  • I turned off Joe Mode so I could hear the turn signal and not be surprised when the vehicle changed lanes.
  • Navigated unlined neighborhood streets and around parked cars including times when cars were coming in the opposite direction.
  • Appropriately stopped on a two-lane road for a FedEx truck blocking the lane and safely went around it when it was clear.
  • Numerous safe and comfortable left-hand turns against oncoming traffic. I would have been a bit more aggressive on a couple, but never felt like it was to a point where it would irritate other drivers.
  • Appropriately turned right on red.
  • Easily navigated a roundabout at night.
  • Appropriately waited for cars in other lane of highway on-ramp when my lane had the Yield sign.
  • Excellent acceleration and merging onto highways.
  • I like how it automatically moves out of the rightmost lane on the highway.
  • Appropriately handled complex highway interchanges and moved to the appropriate lanes.
  • Left and right turns are both made into the closest lane, then the turn signal is activated to change lanes if needed.
  • Appears to slow down to let a car into your lane if they have their turn signal on.
  • Parking was quicker and more efficient than expected. It performs much better when you first drive past the space in which you want to park.
  • No phantom braking, but I've only experienced maybe a half-dozen mild instances in over 25,000 miles of driving.
Some vastly different experiences and levels of satisfaction have been reported by different people in this thread. For example, my experiences, mentioned somewhat earlier, were not nearly so positive. And I was far from alone. But the good experience of ajstan quoted above also has parallels in the accounts of certain others. I don't yet have a good explanation of the different impressions. I suggested earlier that FSD might be better in some geographic areas than others, but I don't know if that is the real cause of the varying accounts.

Reactions: ajstan and BitJam