Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Lucid Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this point, it’s beyond clear that Lucid is only about one thing: Rawlinson’s ego. One-up Tesla on specs at any price.

Rawlinson doesn’t care about keeping Lucid solvent. As long as he can shave a hair off the 0-60, it’s a win for him even if the car is twice the price and only sells a handful.

I said it before—when you’re drowning in problems and can’t sell the car you can already make for a profit, the last thing you want to do is introduce another overpriced model and overcomplicate things, especially in a high interest rate environment where demand is low.

Rawlinson is standing proudly on the bow of the Titanic as it sinks, pointing into the fog and yelling “beat ya Elon!”
Nailed it.

The luxury sedan market is relatively small. The high-end EV sedan buyer who leans tech will most likely purchase a Model S. The high-end EV sedan buyer who leans interior premium luxury will most likely go for a Mercedes or BMW.

Lucid picked the wrong car type, probably for the reasons you cited regarding Rawlinson. And they ended up being late to market.

Also, the 500 mile range is clearly NOT bringing in more buyers, but no doubt it IS pushing up Lucid's costs. The high-end EV sedan buyer who has range anxiety probably feels better about the Tesla SC network than they would about a bigger battery from Lucid.

The Gravity? Looks pretty cool, but it's almost certainly too late. And the R1S and Mercedes will be hard to displace in that market by that time.

I have turn off the ad-block here in TMC, but first time I see this. (Good job AdSense, I guess. But I don't think this apply to my area) :
pure_summer.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Electroman
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
Wait, wut?

That's over half of the revenue, but don't worry its just one one third of the loss! ; P

• Funny
Reactions: ggr
Wait, wut?

A flawed business plan and an equally flawed renumeration system..all held together by willing investors

That's over half of the revenue, but don't worry its just one one third of the loss! ; P
In 2021 Tesla had revenue of $50B and Elon's exercised options amounted to $23.5B gain.

Rawlinson's base salary is $575k.

He joined a small battery pack startup named Atieva in 2013.

Today Lucid Motors is an automaker with a market cap over $14B.

This $379M gain in exercised options puts his total 10 year compensation inline with caretaker CEOs like Mary Barra.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
In 2021 Tesla had revenue of $50B and Elon's exercised options amounted to $23.5B gain.

This $379M gain in exercised options puts his total 10 year compensation inline with caretaker CEOs like Mary Barra.
Mary works for a car manufacturing company..,Rawlingson works for a company that intends to manufacture cars

This is not the glowing approval of Rawlinson's earnings last year I believe you think it is.... 🤔

A deep dive into Sapphire and Lucid Engineering from EV skeptical auto utubbers that have been coming around. They still refer to Tesla, Rivian, Taycan, EQS, BMW i products as first generation disposable consumer goods that should be leased not purchased.

I’m sorry but an hour and a half is too long...especially when in the first minute he wonders when this technology will be available in affordable cars🤷‍♂️🤔

• Helpful
Reactions: navguy12
A deep dive into Sapphire and Lucid Engineering from EV skeptical auto utubbers that have been coming around. They still refer to Tesla, Rivian, Taycan, EQS, BMW i products as first generation disposable consumer goods that should be leased not purchased.

Good video. But watching that made me appreciate my S plaid even more. So, the Lucid overheats in Sapphire mode in temps we see for months on end here in Texas. Yes, it was on the track, but that's not a reported issue with the Tesla. So you end up with 900 hp vs 1020 hp on the Plaid.

I don't seem to understand Lucid's business model. You'd think they would be putting every ounce of their resources into building a better model 3/Y instead of trying to turn a land barge into a GT3. Down the road once they have a sustainable business model then try to build a high dollar sports car.

Good video. But watching that made me appreciate my S plaid even more. So, the Lucid overheats in Sapphire mode in temps we see for months on end here in Texas. Yes, it was on the track, but that's not a reported issue with the Tesla. So you end up with 900 hp vs 1020 hp on the Plaid.

I don't seem to understand Lucid's business model. You'd think they would be putting every ounce of their resources into building a better model 3/Y instead of trying to turn a land barge into a GT3. Down the road once they have a sustainable business model then try to build a high dollar sports car.
Without even knowing the facts, you can imagine the conversation between Rawlinson and Elon...boss, if you give me another three years I can make the Model S into the greatest limousine in the world...Elon tells him that he wants the MS got to market ASAP because the future of the company will be an affordable saloon and SUV...Rawlinson thinks that as the greatest engineer in my mind I will not sacrifice my principles for the good of the company....I quit and I will start my own company...I will use the very latest technology...which will be out of date by the time I finally build my masterpiece...you’ll only get four for a million dollars but I will never compromise.
Mind you it has made him rich even if his company sinks

1)That track day was worst case scenario for a BEV. Only way to know how they compare is to run a production Sapphire vs Plaid on the same day. Sapphire is $249k loaded.

Fully loaded Plaid with wheels/tires/brakes for 200 mph capability is $127k. So really indirect competitors.

Wealthy areas are saturated with Model S. Some like going under the radar in Plaid others will pay a premium for something rare.

2) I don't understand knowledgeable Tesla fans attacking a halo car. Tesla's first car was the Roadster that had a nowhere near sustainable business model. It is obvious to me Lucid isn't pinching every last penny because they are confident in PiF's financial backing. They can focus some on establishing the brand vs becoming profitable ASAP.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
1)That track day was worst case scenario for a BEV. Only way to know how they compare is to run a production Sapphire vs Plaid on the same day. Sapphire is $249k loaded.

Fully loaded Plaid with wheels/tires/brakes for 200 mph capability is $127k. So really indirect competitors.

Wealthy areas are saturated with Model S. Some like going under the radar in Plaid others will pay a premium for something rare.

2) I don't understand knowledgeable Tesla fans attacking a halo car. Tesla's first car was the Roadster that had a nowhere near sustainable business model. It is obvious to me Lucid isn't pinching every last penny because they are confident in PiF's financial backing. They can focus some on establishing the brand vs becoming profitable ASAP.
The problem is it’s not a halo car....they are a limousine company....not a supercar company (which have a long history of successful startups).... and not a mass market company. All their eggs are in one exclusive basket