Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in the process of purchasing a used 2022 Model X Plaid it has 27k miles with the 22” Wheel package. One area of concern is that the range was displaying 283mi at 100% charge. The range decrease seems significant to me. Is this common, or is something off with the range it’s displaying?

I’m in the process of purchasing a used 2022 Model X Plaid it has 27k miles with the 22” Wheel package. One area of concern is that the range was displaying 283mi at 100% charge. The range decrease seems significant to me. Is this common, or is something off with the range it’s displaying?
Use the percentage and not the km display. KM display is a guess and not accurate.

• Disagree
Reactions: DCGOO and Rocky_H
Use the percentage and not the km display. KM display is a guess and not accurate.
I understand that the km/mi is not accurate, but the concern is that mi range that is being displayed is low to start with at 100%. Leading me to believe the battery has degraded more than normal for a 2 year old model with 27k miles. I owned a model y and I have a 3 now. I understand that the number is realistic but when both models are charge the mi range displayed matches Teslas estimates. From what I could gather range estimates for a 2022 plaid with 22” wheels were between 313-319mi fully charged. 283mi seems like a steep drop.

I’ve never heard hard driving leads to battery degradation. Did I miss the memo?
I thought you posed an interesting question. So I did a little research, my conclusion is that rate of battery discharge is just as important as rate of charge in terms of how a battery degrades. The issues relate to thermal expansion and contraction of the cells; as well as the number of full cycles that a battery goes through. (Note that battery aging is also a factor, but in this conversation we are talking about a 2022 model year, so they are all about the same age...)

If the rate of change is an important factor, here are some numbers that provide scale for different activities:

- Charging at home, 48Amps @ 240Volts = Charge Rate of 11.5 kW per hour.
- Going 70 miles per hour @ 320wh/mile = Discharge rate of 22.4 kW per hour.
- Peak Supercharging rate @ 250kW = Charge Rate of 250 kW per hour.
- Peak Plaid Horsepower of 1020 HP = Discharge Rate of 761 kW per hour.

So, in terms of instantaneous (not continuous), amperage rates going through the battery, the highest rates are achieved when you are doing 0-60 mph time trials (or that sort of thing...)

• Informative
Reactions: fholbert