Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I update from my 2021.4.18 since I have FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m still sitting on an old 2021 version pre-V11 because I love not being wheel and camera nagged. However, I do have FSD and it’s come a long way.

The majority of my driving is SoCal freeways and it would stink if I can’t be as casual as I am today going up and down the freeway.

Can I use regular auto pilot while blocking the camera and STILL do freeway lane changes with autopilot on like EAP? I don’t use the automatic lane change just when I engage it.

Are the wheel nags ridiculous now compared to V10?

1. you don't actually have FSD, you have an FSD compatible tesla. I bought my car in 2020 but the first real version of FSD I received was V10.12.2 (part of 2022.12.3.20) in June of 2022. What you have is basically Enhanced Autopilot (so lane change when you signal and Navigate on Autopilot) and summon. Don't know if your summon still works. I used to be able to use mine to back in tight in my parking spot but I can't do that not because of an update that requires the car to be able to see a satellite and I park underground.)

2. if you update you will get stuff and you will lose stuff. You'll have to do all the reading to figure out what but if your radar is still working, it will stop. On the other hand, you'll be pleased to know the fart sounds still work! Your user interface will change dramatically. I can't remember if you still have your defrost button and wipers on the main screen automatically. I had to wait months for the option to return them. If you are happy with how your wipers work on auto DO NOT update. Your maps would be updated which could be a good thing. On the other hand, they don't seem all that well integrated into V12.3.x and it will often completely ignore the speed signs and speed up/slow down to the number that corresponds with the highway number. This means I can't use FSD for 2/3 of my 3 hour drive 2x per month.

3. if you have been so incurious as to not update your car to at least see what each version of FSD is like (they were all bad to various degrees) why would you be considering updating now? V12.3.x of FSD(s) may be the closest version to not sucking completely, but if your logic was you were only going to update when your car when it was truly autonomous, this is not the time to update.

4. yes, the nags are worse, both in FSD and AP (don't know if you can cover the camera or not but I think I read somewhere that if you do, you get more frequent wheel nags.) We don't find them intolerable and have never had a strike, let alone been locked out, but they are definitely worse than before the December 2023 updates.

You sound like someone completely happy using AP illegally (i.e. with a defeat device) and pretending you own an autonomous car. You will lose that if you upgrade.

How did you manage to dodge the updates for 3 years? I’m 6 months into dodging the recall update and I get daily “schedule installation” popups.
I have a 2019 and the development cycle was so rapid back then I would frequently get exposed to random regressions upon update so I stopped updating once I had a solid version that was stable and predictable on the freeway. Initially it was a temporary pause as I would read user opinions before updating, which then caused me to permanently stop when I couldn’t even get wipers, seat warmers, etc. on the main screen with the initial V11 update.

Then the recall happened, interior cam nags, and other nonsense made me think my V10 version might be an appreciating asset haha!

1. you don't actually have FSD, you have an FSD compatible tesla. I bought my car in 2020 but the first real version of FSD I received was V10.12.2 (part of 2022.12.3.20) in June of 2022. What you have is basically Enhanced Autopilot (so lane change when you signal and Navigate on Autopilot) and summon. Don't know if your summon still works. I used to be able to use mine to back in tight in my parking spot but I can't do that not because of an update that requires the car to be able to see a satellite and I park underground.)

2. if you update you will get stuff and you will lose stuff. You'll have to do all the reading to figure out what but if your radar is still working, it will stop. On the other hand, you'll be pleased to know the fart sounds still work! Your user interface will change dramatically. I can't remember if you still have your defrost button and wipers on the main screen automatically. I had to wait months for the option to return them. If you are happy with how your wipers work on auto DO NOT update. Your maps would be updated which could be a good thing. On the other hand, they don't seem all that well integrated into V12.3.x and it will often completely ignore the speed signs and speed up/slow down to the number that corresponds with the highway number. This means I can't use FSD for 2/3 of my 3 hour drive 2x per month.

3. if you have been so incurious as to not update your car to at least see what each version of FSD is like (they were all bad to various degrees) why would you be considering updating now? V12.3.x of FSD(s) may be the closest version to not sucking completely, but if your logic was you were only going to update when your car when it was truly autonomous, this is not the time to update.

4. yes, the nags are worse, both in FSD and AP (don't know if you can cover the camera or not but I think I read somewhere that if you do, you get more frequent wheel nags.) We don't find them intolerable and have never had a strike, let alone been locked out, but they are definitely worse than before the December 2023 updates.

You sound like someone completely happy using AP illegally (i.e. with a defeat device) and pretending you own an autonomous car. You will lose that if you upgrade.

Sweet thanks, I guess I’ll sit tight until FSD gets better. The only defeat device I’ve used is a wheel weight when solo driving super long straight freeways.

Definitely not a good idea to use defeat devices on LA freeways as construction and randomly ending lanes is bonkers.

Check out this video. I have not checked on regular AP, lane keeping since I have been on FSD Supervised all the time. Apparently Tesla have been updating the base AP, EAP portion of the code also. It's really unthinkable to not update just because of the fear of the "nag" which may not even matters.

Elon has mentioned that they are close to releasing a new version of FSD that will use the central camera instead of occasional steering wheel bumps to confirm driver engagement. That sounds like it would solve your concern.

occasional steering wheel bumps
Maybe this is the "problem". I get the feeling that people that complain about the nags are using it in this fashion: hands off, and then occasionally "bump" the wheel, which sometimes causes a disengagement.

Any reason why people aren't just lightly holding the wheel and offering a slight amount of resistance to AP/FSD's steering? What else do you have to do with your hands? This is how I use it and I almost never get a nag.

Same with camera nags. If you actually are looking up (even out the side window is okay), you will almost never get a nag. It's not until you look down that the system warns you, and even then it has to be more than a quick glance. I look down at my music tile to look at song titles all the time and that's not enough. I think the nags are when people are actually spending a few seconds to check that notification on their phone, which is exactly the kind of behavior that the nag is trying to eliminate!

Reactions: E90alex
Any reason why people aren't just lightly holding the wheel and offering a slight amount of resistance to AP/FSD's steering? What else do you have to do with your hands? This is how I use it and I almost never get a nag.
If you're gonna do all this, you might as well just drive normally without any AP/FSD features. The whole point of driver assist systems is to reduce fatigue... constantly holding the wheel and actively applying resistance for the entire length of the drive defeats the purpose.

Since I'm still on 2023.44.1 and have an anti-nag chip installed, I don't have nag issues and can always cover the cabin camera if it becomes a problem. Luckily the camera is still very generous on pre-recall software versions.

If you're gonna do all this, you might as well just drive normally without any AP/FSD features. The whole point of driver assist systems is to reduce fatigue... constantly holding the wheel and actively applying resistance for the entire length of the drive defeats the purpose.
I agree with the fact that you might as well drive your car yourself, at least on local roads. FSD is not ready for prime time there, and I would not classify it as a driver assistance system on surface streets. It does seem pointless to me there.

But the "constantly holding the wheel and actively applying resistance" is hyperbole. Especially on the highway, where I will be generous and allow its classification as a driver assistance system. Resting your hand on the wheel with a light grip does not induce fatigue by any stretch. Again, I maintain that if it is, you are not doing it correctly. And the bonus is that if a situation does come up where you need to quickly take control (object on the road, etc.) your hand is already at the ready.