Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Let the mods begin...our new MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I would document the changes to our new MYLR purchased the end of March. We were gone for the past 3 weeks, so this week is really my first week behind the wheel. I'm 68, and have always been a car guy, and still am. I have been fortunate enough to have had several articles published in automobile magazines, and am a past president of one of the BMW Car Club of America chapters.

We just came out of a 2013 Model S we owned for 11+ years. Loved the S, but wanted something a little easier to get in and out of. The boxes are starting to come in, and the wife says I need to slow down on the ordering! :)

Yesterday I cleaned and clayed the Y in preparation for a full ceramic coat. I also debadged the hood T and rear DUAL MOTOR emblems. Ceramic coating was accomplished using Wolfgang Concours-Series PROFI Ceramic Coating, which i have used before with excellent results. When Ceramic coating a vehicle, it has to stay inside 24-48 hours for it to fully cure and not get wet.

Our Y had the 20 inch wheels which i liked, but there was something about the esthetics I was not crazy about. Being somewhat "Old School", I was just not crazy about the center cap on the wheels. So, I purchased a set of black lug nut covers and center caps. I was concerned that when I removed the center caps that there would be a stepped recess on the lip for the cap, which would look unsightly, but was pleasantly surprised to find the edge slightly rounded. Attached is the result which is a simple change and totally reversible, and I like it much better. The wheels were ceramic coated as well.

Other things on the list include:
- mud flaps
- new front grill and black out
- fog light trin
- rear spoiler
- center console wood trim
- mini front display
- wheel lip trim in body color
- front spoiler

I am also thinking of adding a swivel adapter to the center screen.

I will keep this thread updated as I progress. Hope everyone enjoys the progress...

20240426_114018.jpg

Thought I would document the changes to our new MYLR purchased the end of March. We were gone for the past 3 weeks, so this week is really my first week behind the wheel. I'm 68, and have always been a car guy, and still am. I have been fortunate enough to have had several articles published in automobile magazines, and am a past president of one of the BMW Car Club of America chapters.

We just came out of a 2013 Model S we owned for 11+ years. Loved the S, but wanted something a little easier to get in and out of. The boxes are starting to come in, and the wife says I need to slow down on the ordering! :)

Yesterday I cleaned and clayed the Y in preparation for a full ceramic coat. I also debadged the hood T and rear DUAL MOTOR emblems. Ceramic coating was accomplished using Wolfgang Concours-Series PROFI Ceramic Coating, which i have used before with excellent results. When Ceramic coating a vehicle, it has to stay inside 24-48 hours for it to fully cure and not get wet.

Our Y had the 20 inch wheels which i liked, but there was something about the esthetics I was not crazy about. Being somewhat "Old School", I was just not crazy about the center cap on the wheels. So, I purchased a set of black lug nut covers and center caps. I was concerned that when I removed the center caps that there would be a stepped recess on the lip for the cap, which would look unsightly, but was pleasantly surprised to find the edge slightly rounded. Attached is the result which is a simple change and totally reversible, and I like it much better. The wheels were ceramic coated as well.

Other things on the list include:
- mud flaps
- new front grill and black out
- fog light trin
- rear spoiler
- center console wood trim
- mini front display
- wheel lip trim in body color
- front spoiler

I am also thinking of adding a swivel adapter to the center screen.

I will keep this thread updated as I progress. Hope everyone enjoys the progress...
If you're looking into a front spoiler, JDP engineering is nice! I say that because I have one as well.

The last things I finished yesterday was installing the rear spoiler, and putting on the rear hatch metal protection straps. When I put on the straps I decided to place 2 small screws per side for additional retention. I thought the straps were aluminum when I ordered them, but was pleasantly surprised to find that they are stainless steel.
20240504_180226.jpg

Here are the protective straps. You can also see the trunk mat I tool out of the Model S as it was like new. It is interesting to note that the trunk footprint is almost exactly the same in the S and Y.
20240504_175600.jpg