Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 12 reading interstate minimum speed sign

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got 12.3 on my Model S hw3 vehicle. Seems great but on a long interstate drive this morning it repeatedly dropped the speed to 40 mph after seeing road signs for “Minimum Speed 40 mph”

Took once or twice to figure out what was happening and then I could anticipate. This was I-20 between the Georgia line snd Atlanta.

Anyone else seeing this. I was able to disengage/report once I figured it out.

Just got 12.3 on my Model S hw3 vehicle. Seems great but on a long interstate drive this morning it repeatedly dropped the speed to 40 mph after seeing road signs for “Minimum Speed 40 mph”

Took once or twice to figure out what was happening and then I could anticipate. This was I-20 between the Georgia line snd Atlanta.

Anyone else seeing this. I was able to disengage/report once I figured it out.
I just had this exact experience also on I-20 between Lake Oconee and Atlanta. I've driven this stretch of road hundreds of times and this is definitely new behavior.

I can't remember exactly what its called, but in autopilot settings, check the box for "auto adjust speed" - makes a ton of difference. It consistently goes 10 sometimes even 15 mph OVER the speed limit and is generally very smooth and intuitive.

I’ve been on a road trip the last 2 days, heading ftom FL to New England, and I’ve experienced the misreading of 40mph minimum speed signs as speed limits. I’m using 2024.3.25 which has FSD v12.3.6. When this happens, the car says something like “maintaining speed for traffic flow” so it doesn’t slow down drastically when this happens.

Ironically, the car consistently fails to read multiple 65mph speed limit signs that are prominently displayed on both sides of the road, and continues using the previous 55mph (or lower) speed limit.

Note that the automatic speed limit offset mentioned in the previous reply isn’t used on the highway, when FSD reverts to the v11 stack, so it doesn’t help there. I do use that setting elsewhere and it’s very helpful.

Here in California I have been complaining for some time that FSD picks up the tow vehicle or truck speed limit even though it had picked up the correct speed limit sign first. Sometimes it will continue at the speed you set but it's frustrating for sure. Wish the car would put up a photo of the sign it saw so I could use my judgement to override it. By the time the car is dropping the speed it's already too late for me to read the sign that my brain ignored as I am not a truck driver or towing a trailer. Perhaps it's a construction sign that I missed, or perhaps it's just another AI hallucination