Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all--

My wife's 2020 White Model Y was totaled while parked and unoccupied last week and she's ordered a black-on-black replacement. I'm looking at ceramic window tinting to reduce heat transfer and a ceramic coating on the car to help keep it clean. Want to know anyone's experience w/ these mods, if its worth the money and extra points if you have a shop recommendation in Denver.

Thanks in advance!

Ceramic coating will probably help keep it clean, similar to a good wax. But it won't protect from damage. PPF (paint protection film) provides mechanical protection from chips and even small dents, AND it helps keep it clean. Not cheap though. I got 100% PPF coverage on my '22 MYLR, and that was about $6k. That was overkill but the car does look good!

Welcome D-Hause! You've come to the right place for Tesla information.

You will find dozens of threads that address your question, with plenty of discussion about ceramic and PPF.

Do an "Advanced Search". It's easy, and MUCH quicker than waiting for responses here. :)

Ceramic coating will probably help keep it clean, similar to a good wax. But it won't protect from damage. PPF (paint protection film) provides mechanical protection from chips and even small dents, AND it helps keep it clean. Not cheap though. I got 100% PPF coverage on my '22 MYLR, and that was about $6k. That was overkill but the car does look good!
Did you get it done in Denver? What shop?

i pretty much did everything you mentioned in your post.

got the ceramic tint on all the glass (roof, front, back and sides)

did a complete clear ppf and the ceramic coating to keep the black looking shiny.

i am happy with my decision. it is pricy and not for everyone.

living in texas, any type of protection from heat is necessary to me.

Xpel XR Plus is their top line. Like $900 to do a Y all sides/back, and windshield. No moonroof. It doesn't need it IMO. It is already around 15% from what I can tell and does a good job of heat/sun. I live in FL. But I also park in a garage day/night. Windshield is $300 alone. So $600 for high-end Tint in FL YMMV. But it helps a lot and looks the best of all the top tier, 3M ceramic, wife's BMW has that, it is very good. But has a metallic look almost to it. Xpel has a black/flatter look their XR Plus.

I've had ceramic done by a detailer I know. He uses IGL, it's a 5yr, they do the wheels, interior and windshield with a treatment. Plus a full paint correction and do the ceramic. Like $1K. Ceramic won't stop rock chips but makes cleaning real easy/fast, but over time it still gets contaminants in it, even PPF does and you have to treat it to return it back to slick/ice like.

If you want more protection, the front bumper/hood/mirrors would be good with a clear Xpel film..but that is likely $2k these day for just that. And then do a ceramic over top. My detailer, if I put a PPF after his ceramic, will do the new parts again for free...give him a tip...but he is different and not thief like a lot of places. I've had the same Xpel XR Plus tint quoted at $1100 from another place. So shop and call around and see their work. They mostly like to post their work on socials and have good reviews.

Last edited:
Hello all--

My wife's 2020 White Model Y was totaled while parked and unoccupied last week and she's ordered a black-on-black replacement. I'm looking at ceramic window tinting to reduce heat transfer and a ceramic coating on the car to help keep it clean. Want to know anyone's experience w/ these mods, if its worth the money and extra points if you have a shop recommendation in Denver.

Thanks in advance!
Totally worth it. I have 2023 MX with ceramic tint 15% on side windows and 50% on front. I live in S. Fla. Yesterday was 109 with Heat index. I did not realize how good it worked until I took the car in for service and they gave me a loaner not tinted. I literally ran the AC at full blast constantly and it was still hot in the car.

Beware, not all ceramic tints are the same. Look closely at the specs of the brands you're considering. It seems like Xpel Prime Nano-ceramic has the best heat rejection that I've found. I haven't put tint on my MY that I got last fall, but come summer time that's probably what I'll go with.
I have Xpel Prime and the warranty is pretty long at 10 years. Since labor is a big part of tint installation also consider the lack of durability of cheaper dyed film options

Reactions: DrDiesel1
Hello all--

Thanks in advance!

Welcome D-Hause! You've come to the right place for Tesla information.

You will find dozens of threads that address your question, with plenty of discussion about ceramic and PPF.

Do an "Advanced Search". It's easy, and MUCH quicker than waiting for responses here. :)
And welcome to Pianewman who tells all the new members about the search feature. ;)

I'm in the Denver area and got ceramic tint and full PPF at Mile High Customs. Expensive, but oh so nice.
Auto Window Tinting | Mile High Customs | Custom Vinyl

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240313-171000.png
    Screenshot_20240313-171000.png
    544.1 KB · Views: 5
go with Authorized installer for Xpel PPF and ceramic, negotiate price, you will be very happy with the results
def do xpel tint all windows, got into my fried in the sun MYP today and the tint def takes the edge off the captured temp, worth it

Reactions: fredzos