Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Model 3 prioritise age or mileage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would pick newer car with higher mileage my biggest fear with low miles car is someone just left it plugged in at 100% in 100 degree heat destroying the battery so doesn't matter that the miles are low
Errrrr......what?!?!?

Ignoring the fact that '100 degree heat' is quite a rare thing in the UK, I am really struggling to understand why you believe this to be the number one concern when buying a low mileage EV?!?

Reactions: father_of_6
@FatFalcon @SGPips
I guess I do keep cars a long time. Watching youtube comparisons, the intel Atom seems fine for navigation and settings, but not great for netflix/youtube/browsing. Whereas Ryzen does the lot smoothly (with a small but noticeable loss of range?) Does that chime with you? My current thinking is to go for 2021 (intel atom but with heat pump) and not blow the entire budget in case a bit of work is needed down the line.
I notice a bit more lag even on 'normal' driving tasks in at Intel car. Still 100% fine for now, but I think a few more years down the road the newer processor will have much better performance and will be much better supported by Tesla. Ryzen has gone into far more vehicles than atom I'm sure at this point, plus it's just newer with better specs so the eventual degradation should hit the user less.

I'm afraid someone might just charge to 100% and leave it there for months

They would have to ignore all the nags about daily charging limits and set the charge limit to 100%.

I would think that anyone stupid enough to ignore all the warnings would also be stupid enough to be able to keep the charge limit at 100%. But there will be exceptions I guess.

Now, leaving the car at 0%…
Check it hasn’t been long term repaired at a garage would be a good first step.

But you can always check the reported range at 100% charge, as long as you understand what that number really means as it will never be as high as many might expect, even for a brand new car.

Hi
I'm thinking of buying a used model 3 but can't decide which year and mileage to go for.
As I understand it, 2018-20 had chrome and no heat pump, both of which put me off, so am thinking 2021 (or late 2020 refresh) onwards.
Also, as far as I can tell, the most noticeable difference between a 2021 and a 2022 is the switch to Ryzen processors and the removal of sensors, but perhaps there is something else I am missing that makes a 2022 more attractive?

So my main question is this:
Am I better off with a lower mileage (say, 35k) 2021 M3 or a higher (but by no means astronomical) mileage (around 45-50k) 2022?
As far as I can tell from A Better Route Planner, the range and charging speed improvements of a 2022 M3 make all of 3 mins difference on a theoretical drive from Exeter to Edinburgh.
Also, I think I'm right in saying at 50k a car will be out of the comprehensive warranty?

Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance!
you want anything imported to UK after 4th of February 2021 (built date January 2021.
this will have Ryzen

My 2019 M3P is very low mileage, and the rated battery range is still 305 miles from 310 when new. Only DC charged once and kept below 100% except for trips. So I don't agree :)
I think DC charging is biggest killer.

I have 2 year old 50k mileage car... I lost about 5-7% of my capacity or so by now. always keeping 80% in summer and for trips upping to 90% (maybe twice went to 100%) and had couple of longs trips with 5x SCs per day.

What evidence do you have for this assertion?

There are several pages of discussion on this here is a good post from that discusses @AAKEE

@meavydev 100% is not necessarily that bad really leaving at 80% for long periods of time is worse than 100% some of the time

My 2019 M3P is very low mileage, and the rated battery range is still 305 miles from 310 when new. Only DC charged once and kept below 100% except for trips. So I don't agree :)
Care to take a picture like this, and post here?
IMG_2330.jpeg

Should include SOC, average and calculated range on the same picture.
The selection fown right need to be visible and set at ”normal range”.

What evidence do you have for this assertion?
There is a huge amount of research on this.
There is several hundred research reports available, more or less all of them comes to the same conclusions. The very few ones that differ in conclusion actually shows the same thing as the others do. The researchers just f****d up the set up or the conclusion.

So, research/science agree.

There are several tests that include actual Tesla batteries taken from cars. They age just as the others do.

For example, a test might show this:
Calendar aging, the degradation from time.
Calendar aging reduces the rate with the square root of time so any calendar aging needs four times the time to double if SOC and temperature is kept the same.

Note that 100% is not much worse than 80%. In dome cases 80% is eorse than 100%. But as a general advice, do not have the car always at 100%.
IMG_4903.jpeg

For cycles, smaller cycles wear less and in general cycles at lower SOC wear less.

Hete we can se that using 50% to 0% (ie 3.7V to 0%) cycles causes a wear of 10% for 1000 FCE ( thats actually 2000 50-0% cycles )

1000 FCE equals the range of ~ 1000 times driving 100% to 0%, so around 400K km or 250K mi.

A normal owner might do ~ 20K / year so cyclic aging will be ~ 0.5% per year with that setup.
IMG_5338.jpeg

So, cyclic aging will be around 0.5% per year for the average driver.

Calendar aging, charging to 80% will see around 5% calendar aging the first year (in a average climate)
As calendar aging reduces the rate, calendar aging will be ~ 10% after 4 years.

After eight years, the calendar aging is down to ~ 1% per year or so, but the cyclic aging still is around 0.5% per year.

After these eight years, calendar aging ate 14% of the battery but cyclic aging only ate 4%.

Reactions: gt2690b
I don't doubt that batteries degrade over time and that there are a number of variable which impact the rate at which this occurs.

Is it not the case that 'calendar' aging happens whatever (we can't stop time!) and other factors - temperature, state of charge the battery is held at for prolonged periods, frequency of DC charge etc etc will compound this further to greater or lesser degrees?

What I was questioning was the assertion that a car with a low mileage will likely suffer more battery degradation than a similar aged car which have covered more miles? Is this indeed the case?

I don't doubt that batteries degrade over time and that there are a number of variable which impact the rate at which this occurs.

Is it not the case that 'calendar' aging happens whatever (we can't stop time!) and other factors - temperature, state of charge the battery is held at for prolonged periods, frequency of DC charge etc etc will compound this further to greater or lesser degrees?

What I was questioning was the assertion that a car with a low mileage will likely suffer more battery degradation than a similar aged car which have covered more miles? Is this indeed the case?
i didnt say similarly aged car i said a newer higher mileage car will likely be better off than an older lower mileage car (which was of course the original poster's question)

Reactions: AAKEE