Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP/FSD related crashes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously. FSD Supervised on my car won't even cross train tracks when traffic is backed up ahead.
Both incidents happened at different railroad crossings, where I was the first car at the tracks. I have a 55-mile commute one-way each morning, and 98% of the time, the FSD does exactly what it’s supposed to do. Since an update about a month ago, the car has been setting the speed on the rural state route (with a 55 MPH speed limit) to around 61 to 63 MPH, which is consistent with normal traffic flow and what I would usually set cruise control at in other cars.

This is not an attempt at "insurance fraud." It is very concerning to me that the FSD system has failed to recognize a train crossing twice.

Could you point me to the specific warning in the manual? I understand that as the driver, I'm ultimately responsible for the vehicle. However, my issue lies with the FSD system's failure to recognize the train. I was attentive and aware during the incident. I expected the system to brake for the train, as it should, based on previous experience where the FSD system is typically more cautious than a regular driver in many situations.

After using the FSD system for a while, you tend to trust it to perform correctly, much like you would with adaptive cruise control. You assume the vehicle will slow down when approaching a slower car in front, until it doesn’t, and you’re suddenly forced to take control. This complacency can build up over time due to the system usually performing as expected, making incidents like this particularly concerning.
Yes, automation complacency is a big issue with these systems. Looking in the manual I'm surprised they don't have specific warning for large vehicles going across the path of travel. There have been quite a few fatal collisions where people have hit the side of trailers (train cars seem very similar). There are of course generic warnings like "Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may not detect all objects and, especially when cruising over 50 mph" and warnings about weather conditions (fog).

This is from 2016:
Full Self-Driving Hardware on All Teslas: The person in the driver's seat is only there for legal reasons. He is not doing anything. The car is driving itself.
Being charged with homicide is a legal reason not to use it unsupervised...
Though I do agree that the implication of that advertisement is that FSD was close to complete.

Both incidents happened at different railroad crossings, where I was the first car at the tracks. I have a 55-mile commute one-way each morning, and 98% of the time, the FSD does exactly what it’s supposed to do. Since an update about a month ago, the car has been setting the speed on the rural state route (with a 55 MPH speed limit) to around 61 to 63 MPH, which is consistent with normal traffic flow and what I would usually set cruise control at in other cars.

This is not an attempt at "insurance fraud." It is very concerning to me that the FSD system has failed to recognize a train crossing twice.
FSD is not L4 or L5 autonomy, it is L2. That means it is a convenience feature, and you must remain fully ready to take over at any time. Clearly you did not do this, you waited far too long to take over. Since it happened once and you were not fully prepared the second time this happened, you were not demonstrating the full attention required when using it.

That’s at the core of why no lawyer will touch this. Between the fog and your prior experience with this condition, there is no real excuse for allowing the FSD system to continue into the accident as you did.

Question: what version of FSD was running with this accident? Pre- or post- version 12?

FSD is not L4 or L5 autonomy, it is L2. That means it is a convenience feature, and you must remain fully ready to take over at any time. Clearly you did not do this, you waited far too long to take over. Since it happened once and you were not fully prepared the second time this happened, you were not demonstrating the full attention required when using it.

That’s at the core of why no lawyer will touch this. Between the fog and your prior experience with this condition, there is no real excuse for allowing the FSD system to continue into the accident as you did.

Question: what version of FSD was running with this accident? Pre- or post- version 12?
From the video, it seemed pretty obvious it wasn't going to stop and there was plenty of time to intervene. Instead the wheel was turned, which seems more like the driver wasn't paying attention and had to swerve instead.

There was also dense fog and very poor visibility, so I would expect FSDS to have further warnings on the screen.

"Visibility is critical for Full Self-Driving (Supervised) to operate. Low visibility, such as low light or poor weather conditions (rain, snow, direct sun, fog, etc.) can significantly degrade performance."
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-E5FF5E84-6AAC-43E6-B7ED-EC1E9AEB17B7.html
"Use Full Self-Driving (Supervised) only if you will pay constant attention to the road and be prepared to act immediately, especially around blind corners, crossing intersections, and in narrow driving situations."
"Warning
NEVER make assumptions and predict when and where Full Self-Driving (Supervised) will stop or continue through an intersection or road marking. From a driver's perspective, the behavior of Full Self-Driving (Supervised) may appear inconsistent. Always pay attention to the roadway and be prepared to take immediate action. It is the driver's responsibility to determine whether to stop or continue through an intersection. Never depend on Full Self-Driving (Supervised) to determine when it is safe and/or appropriate to stop or continue through an intersection."
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-2CB60804-9CEA-4F4B-8B04-09B991368DC5.html

Reactions: rlsd
I am looking for information on incidents involving Tesla's Full Self-Driving (FSD) mode. I have owned my Tesla for less than a year, and within the last six months, it has twice attempted to drive directly into a passing train while in FSD mode. The most recent incident occurred on May 8, 2024, and I have dash cam footage from that event.

I am trying to obtain the telemetry data from these incidents. Additionally, I am looking for similar cases or incidents. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a lawyer willing to take my case due to the lack of significant injuries—only backaches and a deep bruise on my right elbow, which didn’t require medical attention.

I attempted to upload the dash cam footage but was unsuccessful. Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

> sees car going full speed ahead at a train
> claims to be fully aware and attentive
> does nothing
> car gets damaged
> “i am looking for lawyers”

💀💀💀💀💀💀

Could you point me to the specific warning in the manual?
Not specific on trains but it's a generic warning in the manual, under Autopilot, Full Self-Driving:

What you bought is:

1) not a collision warning system

or

2) not a collision avoidance system.

How much more specific would you want it to say?

1716151335615.png

I understand that as the driver, I'm ultimately responsible for the vehicle. However, my issue lies with the FSD system's failure to recognize the train.

2 deaths on autopilot collided with the left-turning semi-truck in front of those 2 Tesla cars.

Countless Tesla automation systems are involved in collisions and injuries. Only deaths get some attraction. Collisions could happen at any speed, slow or high. From a parking lot summon to the highway.

As mentioned above, if your case goes to court, historically, jurors only blame you for not driving. They don't hold Tesla's faulty collision avoidance technology at all.

The last case didn't go to court, and it settled out of court. This is probably because the lawyers focused on the inadequate driver monitoring system instead of the faulty collision avoidance system.

You are focusing on the faulty collision avoidance system and the jurors will rule against you if they take heed from the history.

Last edited:

Hey there, my name is Ben Goggin, I’m a tech journalist at NBC News. Would you mind sending me an email at [email protected] or a DM on Twitter (@benjamingoggin) , would love to chat with you about your experience.

It was FSD to the best of my knowledge
Does the car automatically stop and make turns for you at stop lights and stop signs or not? If it does, then FSD is enabled, and if it doesn’t, then you’re only using Autosteer. Even though all Teslas come with FSD “capability”, and even if you purchased or got a trial of FSD, that doesn’t mean it was enabled. You have to enable it in settings.

Last edited:
Does the car automatically stop and make turns for you at stop lights and stop signs or not? If it does, then FSD is enabled, and if it doesn’t, then you’re only using Autosteer. Even though all Teslas come with FSD “capability”, and even if you purchased or got a trial of FSD, that doesn’t mean it was enabled. You have to enable it in settings.
Yes, it drives itself, making all stops and turns. Only have 2 issues on the normal commute to work. First, is the merge from a State Route (4 lane Hwy) onto the Interstate (6+ lane Hwy). It does not recognize that only the rightmost lane NOW exits to the interstate. Use to be 2 lanes going to interstate, but the traffic pattern was recently changed in the area. Second spot it normally has issue is on the interstate where 4 southbound lanes merge into 3 lanes to go under an underpass. I force into the 3rd lane, but if a car is in front (slower) than it tries to change lanes back into the lane that is ending to pass the slower car.