Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slight modification to your statement:

The current version of FSD (current version in normal people's hands) is no solved.

Glad there's 12.4 coming in a week or two on almost completely new training data, with 12.5 and 12.6 in various forms of testing right behind it.
i.e. FSD is not solved.

Elon posted this a few days ago, when he referenced 12.5 and 12.6 as well.

Elon said "completely retrained models" but you say "on almost completely new training data".

models != data

I don't know much about Tesla training FSD, but I work at company that mostly does deep learning on images and and videos. We keep retraining models on the the same data, or most of the same.

Maybe Tesla had to switch to videos captured with HW4 and discard everything they had from HW3 but I doubt it. It's crazy to do without all the cases they had collected on so many miles.

I wonder if things have changed... Dealers get kickbacks from the finance companies. Someone at work recently leased a Rav4 Prime with the intention of immediately buying it out. (Just to get the $7,500 tax credit they otherwise wouldn't qualify for.) The dealer told them that if they don't make at least 3 payments the dealer gets nothing, and paid them $1,000 to not buy it out immediately.) Maybe Tesla accepts a smaller kickback to get lower rates.
Actually that fits the mold. Dealer ‘participation’,( I.e. their finance profit ) derives primarily from markups on loans and leases. Those are technically rebates to dealers which are often, not always, conditioned on asset performance. Very early lease termination, for example, can trigger eligibility limits by lessor. If, as in this example a lease is terminated prior to stated minimum performance conditions, the originating dealer becomes directly liable. Toyota Financial Services is known for consistently applying dealer f

Is this difference in perspective all that surprising when one is that of a shareholder and the other is that of someone who sold most/all of their shares? 🤷‍♂️

You made your choice, what is to be gained by trying to justify your decision to those who held through the bottom?

Since the time when you sold, your posts have sounded more and more like it is really you whom you want most to be convinced.

Apologies for the absence of confirmation bias being offered here. It seems unlikely that making more posts like these will change this.
I’m a shareholder and also worry about what will move the needle… too many demos when many things still haven’t been delivered on is concerning (e.g., 500 miles MS Plaid, Roadster, 500mile CT…. Granted Covid happened but no mention of this type of range; Mexico factory, FSD still evolving, etc).
Don’t get me wrong, still a lot of promise but need to see more results less talk.

Mod: It was only a week or two ago that head mod @AudubonB issued an instruction not to clog the thread with discussion about trolls, ignoring, disagreeing, and proposals for changing software (which I remind you all that mods have no say in). I had to take action today against particularly egregious behavior (posts gone now, as is the member temporarily). I don't like wasting my Mother's Day moderating. Of course the more annoyed I get, the more heavy handed I can sometimes be. I recommend all y'all tread lightly for a while.

1715535613935.png

--ggr

I’m a shareholder and also worry about what will move the needle… too many demos when many things still haven’t been delivered on is concerning (e.g., 500 miles MS Plaid, Roadster, 500mile CT…. Granted Covid happened but no mention of this type of range; Mexico factory, FSD still evolving, etc).
Don’t get me wrong, still a lot of promise but need to see more results less talk.

Worrying about anything that is completely out of my control has always seemed a total waste of a good worry. But, a lot of people put much effort into doing that sort of thing, so maybe I'm just not doing it right.

Trying to tally up wins and losses against expectations and disappointments doesn't seem like a good method of telling the future, but I've also never come close to mastering that skill either.

If you are good at those things and they bring you joy in life, more power to you.

My experience has indicated it is better to see what unfolds, and act upon that, rather than to make one wrong guess after another. If what I want to happen hasn't happened yet, and the facts indicate there is little reason it shouldn't happen, it seems best to keep waiting a little longer.

In the mean time, I'll glance at the fundamentals found in the quarterly reports and leave the worrying to those who feel they have more experience and success with making that a vital part of their investment strategy.

I very much appreciate anyone who shares a balanced opinion on what they interpret from the facts. "Balanced" meaning it might lean this way or that from post to post, but over the long run doesn't tip the Bear/Bull teeter-totter full tilt in either direction. This sort of information is usually worth taking the time to read.

Anyone who makes no effort to get the see-saw to balance in their posts probably hasn't processed the information well enough to be discussing the topic in public.

Last edited:

I agree it will be a short term hit on morale but a lot less than most large organizations where layoffs can drag on for months even years... in a couple weeks those still at Tesla will be solving the next problem and this will be in the rearview mirror ... the CT rearview mirror;)
I doubt it was a hit to morale at all, probably just the opposite.

All the rest of the people who are busting their humps no doubt resent slackers whose weight they have to carry and will have been glad to see the slackers jettisoned.

Haven't seen this mentioned here. I saw it first on Solving Modey Problem YT-channel. In nutshell, Hyundai is retreating from robotaxi development.

"Hyundai Motor Group's joint venture Motional announced staff reductions and a two-year delay to its driverless taxi service plans last week, following the group's 1.29 trillion won ($941 million) injection into the startup earlier this month, reflecting growing industry pessimism about the viability of self-driving cars.

Hyundai established Motional with Aptiv in the US in 2020 and launched its Ioniq 5-based robo-taxi service with Uber and Lyft last year. However, the rollout of the second-generation, fully autonomous service based on the Hyundai Ioniq 5 has now been postponed to 2026 -- two years later than initially planned.

This delay includes halting current operations such as taxi services in Las Vegas and delivery services for Uber Eats in Santa Monica, all of which currently require a human safety operator. According to the company, the services have completed more than 100,000 rides in Las Vegas and food deliveries in Los Angeles.

"Hyundai Motor Group's joint venture Motional announced staff reductions and a two-year delay to its driverless taxi service plans last week, following the group's 1.29 trillion won ($941 million) injection into the startup earlier this month, reflecting growing industry pessimism about the viability of self-driving cars.

Hyundai established Motional with Aptiv in the US in 2020 and launched its Ioniq 5-based robo-taxi service with Uber and Lyft last year. However, the rollout of the second-generation, fully autonomous service based on the Hyundai Ioniq 5 has now been postponed to 2026 -- two years later than initially planned.

This delay includes halting current operations such as taxi services in Las Vegas and delivery services for Uber Eats in Santa Monica, all of which currently require a human safety operator. According to the company, the services have completed more than 100,000 rides in Las Vegas and food deliveries in Los Angeles."

I agree. Cruise had the same issue, except worse. Anyone who thinks Tesla will magically avoid these costs is delusional. Tesla has great AI tech "for a car company", but not compared to Google.

Tesla could still win by cracking the business model. Waymo has no entrepreneurs. They are almost genetically incapable of finding and exploiting market niches, attracting valuable customers and driving utilization rates up. Nothing Musk says indicates he has the first clue about this market, but he's a fast learner and can iterate very rapidly until he finds customers and a working business model. Unless he loses interest and moves on to something "even better".

That's a joke about Google, right? History is littered with examples of large companies with "better" tech, R&D, etc. being left in the dust or completely destroyed by start ups or more nimble companies.

I agree. Cruise had the same issue, except worse. Anyone who thinks Tesla will magically avoid these costs is delusional. Tesla has great AI tech "for a car company", but not compared to Google.
Tesla will initially have the same monitoring and intervention costs as Waymo. But it's not at all delusional to see that Tesla's end-to-end system is technically superior to Waymo's heuristics and hd-maps approach. This is why Tesla's system will quickly start to turn a profit while Waymo is stuck in the stone age of self driving.

Reactions: wtlloyd and Robertj
Elon said "completely retrained models" but you say "on almost completely new training data".

models != data

I don't know much about Tesla training FSD, but I work at company that mostly does deep learning on images and and videos. We keep retraining models on the the same data, or most of the same.

Maybe Tesla had to switch to videos captured with HW4 and discard everything they had from HW3 but I doubt it. It's crazy to do without all the cases they had collected on so many miles.

Yeah, I misspoke from memory. I went and found the post later and updated the reply with it.

Also, as has been proved in these last few point releases, most Teslas are uploading massive amounts of data (much more than in the past), so it would seem obvious that they're incorporating in more data though with each iteration.

As @Papafox has shown us over 60% short trading over multiple sessions this past week, we ought to see these numbers continue to creep upward. The latest short interest reports up to 4/30/24 bringing short interest to a nearly ATH, paradoxically near a relative minimum stock price - per usual for TSLA. Makes perfect sense, right? Nothing to see here folks.
View attachment 1046443
The SP closed at $183.28 on 4/30 with that near record short interest—that’s solid.

Seeing the riotous short action in @Papafox ’s posts since, TSLA is holding up quite well.

Fascinating. Hilarious too and we haven’t even gotten to the punch line. 😉

Haven't seen this mentioned here. I saw it first on Solving Modey Problem YT-channel. In nutshell, Hyundai is retreating from robotaxi development.

This delay includes halting current operations such as taxi services in Las Vegas and delivery services for Uber Eats in Santa Monica, all of which currently require a human safety operator. According to the company, the services have completed more than 100,000 rides in Las Vegas and food deliveries in Los Angeles.

This delay includes halting current operations such as taxi services in Las Vegas and delivery services for Uber Eats in Santa Monica, all of which currently require a human safety operator. According to the company, the services have completed more than 100,000 rides in Las Vegas and food deliveries in Los Angeles."

This, along with a steady warming for Tesla in South Korea, with last year's deployment of FSD Beta there, and this year's Tesla being eligible for carbon credits, continue to support a theory that Hyundai could become an FSD license partner with Tesla sooner than later.

Last edited:
I doubt it was a hit to morale at all, probably just the opposite.

Multiple posters, including myself, have posted reports/first/second hand accounts from employees saying otherwise. Both among those fired because of something a manager 2 levels above them did wrong and are now debating if they're willing to accept a rehire offer or not after being treated that way, and among those still there who now have to worry not just are THEY giving everything possible- but that they might be fired anyway because some boss they rarely interact with higher up might not. And including the former head of new product launches who publicly stated he quit (post-layoffs) specifically because of what this did to morale at the company.

I know the uberbull answer would be anyone who doesn't want to give everything possible regardless of constantly living in economic fear of job loss no matter how well you personally do your job is someone the company doesn't need and that is....certainly an opinion.

We only differ in what we see happening. You see something coming, and have no confidence in when. I see the same thing, but NOT soon. And I "see" retail investors abandoning Tesla for months to come.

And come on man? A "demo" by Elon make "investing" in TSLA more likely? No. Flat out "NO." Elon and Tesla don't move the needle with a demo any longer due to the failure of the demos ever becoming a reality. How many YEARS ago did Tesla "Demo" the cyber(NOTA)truck? 4680....hahahahahahaha. No one that knows Tesla (or is going to consider investing long term) will invest in Tesla because of a Tesla Demo. Next week, Next Month, Next year..or the year after, or the year after that. or that....
My point was that you never know how the street will react or when. But when a breakthrough technology finally looks "real" to investors, they all pile on.

The fabled "Chat GPT moment" came about because of what was essentially a demo version of Chat GPT. And related stocks like MSFT and NVDA shot up accordingly.

The same will happen with Tesla and FSD. We just don't know what the trigger will be.

Multiple posters, including myself, have posted reports/first/second hand accounts from employees saying otherwise. Both among those fired because of something a manager 2 levels above them did wrong and are now debating if they're willing to accept a rehire offer or not after being treated that way, and among those still there who now have to worry not just are THEY giving everything possible- but that they might be fired anyway because some boss they rarely interact with higher up might not. And including the former head of new product launches who publicly stated he quit (post-layoffs) specifically because of what this did to morale at the company.

I know the uberbull answer would be anyone who doesn't want to give everything possible regardless of constantly living in economic fear of job loss no matter how well you personally do your job is someone the company doesn't need and that is....certainly an opinion.
Performing on an Olympic team level is not necessarily comfortable for anyone and is certainly not for everyone.

Speak to most people who work in finance. The hatchet will fall for less of a reason than "my bosses boss screwed up". If the directive comes from the top that costs need to drop you'll be collecting your box of personal items from HR without ever going back to the building.