Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Revenue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first NEVI funded Supercharger site has opened in Maine:

So, Supercharging expansion might not cost as much going forward, as some sites are getting significant NEVI funds to help with the costs.
OmG, The government just throws our tax money around. 1.2 Trillion dollars!! This is crazy. The American tax payers are the ones that need help.

1714596221019.png

I've been thinking about this shift of emphasis.

Part of it is general cost cutting and reprioritizing, part of it is expecting fewer EVs to be sold in some regions than earier projections.

But I think part may also be the Biden Admin's rejecting of funding for a Megacharger highway.

Tesla may have realised that they need to fund Megacharger sites themselves, sites have to be very carefully selected and the Megacharger build out will be expensive.

I expect many Megacharger sites might have a co-located Supercharger site with a lot of stalls, there is not much point in building a new Supercharger site now 50 miles from a future Megacharger site.

So I think they need to work out where the Megachargers are going, finalise the costs and the budget and give them clear priority over regular Supercharger expansion.

IMO they should be in locations close to highways but well away from city centres. in cities I think Semis will recharge at warehouses. Tesla may be better off buying the land.

Getting it right and getting the right site design is a challenge, especially for that first few sites, and the trucking industry needs to be consulted on site selection.

The ramp of the Semi will need Megacharging and I think Supercharging at the same site can help pay for what may initially be lower Megacharger utilisation.

I think Tesla is juggling some potentially big chunks of capex expenditure:-
  • AI compute
  • Megacharging
  • Gen3 Factories
Megacharging may even delay Gen3 factories a bit longer. IMO AI compute is mostly a "one time" spend and after the first 10 Megachargers are built Megachaging can help fund Megacharging expansion.

Never can tell with Musk public comments.

We are a 1/3 of the way into the year.

Is the $500m he cites just completed/already committed projects or represents $X for new projects not completed or in the pipeline?

My take on this is that $500m per year is only $125m per quarter on average.

And if they spend $200m Q1 it is only 100m on average for the next 3 quarters.

We can speculate that they might be spending as little as $50m per quarter Q3 & Q4, and for future quarters.

We can also speculate that previously $300m-$500m per quarter may have been a more typical spend.,

However, in addition to lower capex there are fewer staff salaries and less office space coming out of that say $300m, so I think the lower amount is being spent more efficiently.

Expansion will still happen, it will just be a lot slower for a while.

The budget increasing again to say $300m per year in say 2027 would not surprise me, but I expect it to grow at a very slow rate, so perhaps $150m-$200m by 2027.