Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Durango, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4/03/24 Update - two sets of geotechnical borings have been completed at the project site. No real construction, but it's an interesting development.
1712190165534.jpeg
IMG_2776.JPG

@bmah , when you get a chance, could you remove the "(Pending final city approval)" from the title of this location? The install was approved by the city council in January, and the title is a legacy from my initial post in the Southwest Supercharger forum.
Thanks!

Done, although for future reference, it's probably better to do a report on some post in this thread. That's a nice looking site to put a Supercharger!

Bruce.

Reactions: 85Drew
With the Alamosa SC in place, at least you can now get to Durango from a SC to the east. Only 149 mi, so all but those with the most degraded batteries can make it. :cool:
I spend the night and use a hotel L2 charger in Durango - long drive from Tucson but I hate driving to Denver through NM, just returned from there that way. The wind blows like hell all the time and the bathroom facilities at Las Vegas NM and Trinidad CO are disgusting. Before Alamosa was put in I did the Poncha Springs to Santa Fe stretch (216 miles) returning from Glenwood Springs a couple of times and it was brutal, nothing out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepBlueMN
I spend the night and use a hotel L2 charger in Durango - long drive from Tucson but I hate driving to Denver through NM, just returned from there that way. The wind blows like hell all the time and the bathroom facilities at Las Vegas NM and Trinidad CO are disgusting. Before Alamosa was put in I did the Poncha Springs to Santa Fe stretch (216 miles) returning from Glenwood Springs a couple of times and it was brutal, nothing out there.
Yep, Trinidad and Las Vegas are our least favorite charging stops. With CCS adapter we don’t do I-25 or I-40 nearly as much! We overnight at the nice Holiday Inn Express right on the river in Durango, and charge at the transit center. Lots to do and see around Durango (great scenic drive up to Silverton, for example.)
We still Supercharge in Gallup, CCS in Durango and Pagosa Springs, Supercharge in Poncha Springs or Alamosa, depending on our route into Colorado Springs.

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
Yep, Trinidad and Las Vegas are our least favorite charging stops. With CCS adapter we don’t do I-25 or I-40 nearly as much! We overnight at the nice Holiday Inn Express right on the river in Durango, and charge at the transit center. Lots to do and see around Durango (great scenic drive up to Silverton, for example.)
We still Supercharge in Gallup, CCS in Durango and Pagosa Springs, Supercharge in Poncha Springs or Alamosa, depending on our route into Colorado Springs.
Yes, we did the train ride to Silverton last Sep - very cool and I like Durango (L2 overnight at the SpringHill Suites). I’ve stopped at the Trinidad Charger a couple of times, last time a week ago, and it was as nasty as the time prior 2 years ago. Garbage bags over the urinals, all surfaces dirty, the store portion filthy… worst I’ve seen and I’ve hit chargers all over the west. How anyone can eat at the Wendy’s inside I’ve not a clue. Follow this with the worlds worst Comfort Suites in Las Vegas NM - at least they’re putting in a new Maverick Nextdoor now. Anyway, still fresh in my mind 😵‍💫, will avoid that stretch at all cost going forward.

Yes, we did the train ride to Silverton last Sep - very cool and I like Durango (L2 overnight at the SpringHill Suites). I’ve stopped at the Trinidad Charger a couple of times, last time a week ago, and it was as nasty as the time prior 2 years ago. Garbage bags over the urinals, all surfaces dirty, the store portion filthy… worst I’ve seen and I’ve hit chargers all over the west. How anyone can eat at the Wendy’s inside I’ve not a clue. Follow this with the worlds worst Comfort Suites in Las Vegas NM - at least they’re putting in a new Maverick Nextdoor now. Anyway, still fresh in my mind 😵‍💫, will avoid that stretch at all cost going forward.
There should be a thread to vote on the best and the worst SC stops.

... the bathroom facilities at Las Vegas NM and Trinidad CO are disgusting.
I wonder if something has changed because I hit the Las Vegas NM station in Sept 2022 and it was next to a Comfort Inn whose restrooms were super clean. Nobody but me and the front desk person were around.

Trinidad, though, was and still is a different story. Restrooms were pretty bad in 2022 and the whole scene was not the most inviting unless you like truck stops. Had to stop there this year on the way back from the solar eclipse in Dallas. Trinidad has a nice visitor center that's also close to I-25. That would be a better location.

Now I avoid I-25 between Denver & Santa Fe/Albuquerque and go via 285. It's shorter and more scenic. The road in northern NM has been in sad shape, but they're been repaving it. In 2023 I stopped at the Poncha Springs Supercharger, and the little store there has Mabel's Deli, which has great tamales. This year I repeated the trip, and I didn't need the Poncha Springs Supercharger because Alamosa is now live, but I stopped for the restrooms and tamales again. This time I got some green chili on top. Yum! Poncha Springs restrooms continue to be clean and large.
There should be a thread to vote on the best and the worst SC stops.
Agreed. I will put Quanah TX down at the bottom. On the way back from the solar eclipse in Dallas in April, had to Supercharge in Quanah and it was raining hard with high water in the streets and mud everywhere. The station is in the parking lot of a Sonic, which was closed. They had a sign that said they had a sewer problem. There were brown lumps in the parking lot, and we were wondering if those were just mud... Also had to wait about 20 minutes because there was a line to charge, maybe because of the going-home-from-the-eclipse traffic.

Haha impressive rant.

I actually don't hate the Trinidad stop, but all of the urinals being "out of order" on my last stop there did raise an eyebrow. The convenience store has a nice selection of my favorite beef jerky so I have to give them a pass. It's called Santa Fe Trail or something like that. It's the very dry New Mexico style, which is an acquired taste, but I've grown to like it.

I stayed at the Las Vegas, NM Comfort Inn once and it was, um.... interesting. The first room I got didn't have a functional curtain. And it had one of those insane flood lights blasting right into the room so trying to stay in there was not an option. Fortunately, they were able to move me to another room, and while I don't remember it being nice, I don't remember it being completely terrible either, so there's that. I can't remember if he explicitly told me or not, but something gave me the strong impression that the guy working the front desk late at night had just gotten out of prison. (The guy at the Wheatland, WY supercharger host hotel specifically told me this on a recent stay lol!)

I wonder if something has changed because I hit the Las Vegas NM station in Sept 2022 and it was next to a Comfort Inn whose restrooms were super clean. Nobody but me and the front desk person were around.

Trinidad, though, was and still is a different story. Restrooms were pretty bad in 2022 and the whole scene was not the most inviting unless you like truck stops. Had to stop there this year on the way back from the solar eclipse in Dallas. Trinidad has a nice visitor center that's also close to I-25. That would be a better location.
Re the Comfort Inn bathroom…
You just happened to visit right after the monthly cleaning! :)
Actually, the bathroom there is usually not too bad, and I have never been hastled about using it (which is a plus), though during COVID I recall it wasn’t always so good.
The issue is the hotel itself… It would be a perfect location for filming a slasher horror movie!

The Trinidad location has been bad since at least 2019. My wife won’t even go into the parking lot with me; I have to drop her at the Holiday Inn Express (which is actually pretty nice and clean).

My biggest issue with the Trinidad location is the folks who pull up next to me at the V2 chargers and nerf my sweet, sweet 85 kW charging when there are plenty of available V3 chargers. It's amazing how many people still don't know the difference (it doesn't matter for me in my 2015 MS - I can't pull a peak charge rate above 128 kW regardless of battery level, temperature, charger version or current Tesla Supercharger Team employment levels).