Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y RWD is now long range (May 3) in the US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_4708.png

Not sure if this is a mistake or newly available configuration, but was browsing the Tesla website and saw this.

It seems to be the SR RWD US version which now has the software unlocked for the full 2170 battery pack capacity.

Reactions: petercc9
Yesterday, I ordered a RWD Model Y standard range after much contemplation. Just amazing value overall and better value than the LR.

Well, today, Tesla removed the RWD standard range and replaced it with RWD long range while upping the price 2,000$.

So much for the battery not being the same (I did order RWD assuming it is software limited).

SR MY is an amazing value. My december 23 edition not only came with premium interior but also sits in the faster charging zone of the battery pack. But what is more remarkable is that unlocking extra range may not really buy you all that much. In a sense if you are going really long distance per ABRP planner, you end up not using the locked part of the range as the best strategy is run low and charge faster…

Personally I'd still try and stick with an AWD version but I'm in the snowbelt so I'm biased.
It may even help with tire wear by redistributing the force.
I wouldn't expect AWD to even out tire wear a lot unless you jackrabbit off of every green light. Looking at the individual motor power numbers via the S3XY buttons dashboard app, my MY LR AWD seems to act as a rear-wheel drive car most of the time. Most of the time the front motor isn't putting in much, if any, power, and the bulk of the regen comes from the rear motor in my experience.

I also have a M3 SR+ and the tires wear pretty evenly. It probably helps that I drive in chill mode most of the time.

Reactions: gsmith123
Sooo, I guess I was right, could be a good idea to listen and think, before quoting "articles"

Here is the proof from Musk himself

We had our 2013 Model S 85 rwd for over 11 years and loved it. We purchased our 2024 AWDYLR in March at the end of the quarter, and with EOQ discounts, it ended up being less than the new RWD. Plus, we were able to transfer over our free for life supercharging.

But, without the discounts, we would probably been happy with the new RWD. Also to note I's the RWDLR and the AWD versions are specked the same, as far as stereo, etc here in the US. Not so in Europe.

Reactions: StT4R
SR MY is an amazing value. My december 23 edition not only came with premium interior but also sits in the faster charging zone of the battery pack. But what is more remarkable is that unlocking extra range may not really buy you all that much. In a sense if you are going really long distance per ABRP planner, you end up not using the locked part of the range as the best strategy is run low and charge faster…
I did a test. Our MY RWD (from Mar 2024) supercharged from 20%->80% in 20 minutes
It kept over 100kW until 66%
1715024868656.png

I purchased my 2024 MY on 3/31. It was $32,530.00 after the tax rebate, $34,170.00 after destination and order fee, and $38,020 after tax title registration etc.
Overall, I felt like I was getting a great value. Not it's even better imho.
MSRP was $43,990.00 discounted at almost $4K.
Not the MSRP is $44,990.

I'm then assuming that we will have the upgrade option at around $1,000 to long range?

Reactions: voom500
I was thinking the same. If the battery is the same and software is stopping at 81.250% (260/320); and doing 80% of that; means that I’m charging up to 62.5% of my battery.
If my logic and math correct I can safely charge up to 95% and be around 80%.

Good for my battery life.

I wonder if the inevitable degradation comes out of the “locked away portion” or the “available portion” or a split between the the two? If it’s the first one, then this software-locked battery is the best deal going!

I don't think think there is a hidden part. They just use a battery slightly larger than the reported specs. So when you charge it to 100% it is actually charged in the 90s somewhere. Think of it as a 6GHz CPU intentionally underclocked to 5.5GHz for a laptop to make sure it doesn't overheat. The battery is simply not charged to the real 100%.

Last edited: