Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the mods begin...our new MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I would document the changes to our new MYLR purchased the end of March. We were gone for the past 3 weeks, so this week is really my first week behind the wheel. I'm 68, and have always been a car guy, and still am. I have been fortunate enough to have had several articles published in automobile magazines, and am a past president of one of the BMW Car Club of America chapters.

We just came out of a 2013 Model S we owned for 11+ years. Loved the S, but wanted something a little easier to get in and out of. The boxes are starting to come in, and the wife says I need to slow down on the ordering! :)

Yesterday I cleaned and clayed the Y in preparation for a full ceramic coat. I also debadged the hood T and rear DUAL MOTOR emblems. Ceramic coating was accomplished using Wolfgang Concours-Series PROFI Ceramic Coating, which i have used before with excellent results. When Ceramic coating a vehicle, it has to stay inside 24-48 hours for it to fully cure and not get wet.

Our Y had the 20 inch wheels which i liked, but there was something about the esthetics I was not crazy about. Being somewhat "Old School", I was just not crazy about the center cap on the wheels. So, I purchased a set of black lug nut covers and center caps. I was concerned that when I removed the center caps that there would be a stepped recess on the lip for the cap, which would look unsightly, but was pleasantly surprised to find the edge slightly rounded. Attached is the result which is a simple change and totally reversible, and I like it much better. The wheels were ceramic coated as well.

Other things on the list include:
- mud flaps
- new front grill and black out
- fog light trin
- rear spoiler
- center console wood trim
- mini front display
- wheel lip trim in body color
- front spoiler

I am also thinking of adding a swivel adapter to the center screen.

I will keep this thread updated as I progress. Hope everyone enjoys the progress...

20240426_114018.jpg

Thought I would document the changes to our new MYLR purchased the end of March. We were gone for the past 3 weeks, so this week is really my first week behind the wheel. I'm 68, and have always been a car guy, and still am. I have been fortunate enough to have had several articles published in automobile magazines, and am a past president of one of the BMW Car Club of America chapters.

We just came out of a 2013 Model S we owned for 11+ years. Loved the S, but wanted something a little easier to get in and out of. The boxes are starting to come in, and the wife says I need to slow down on the ordering! :)

Yesterday I cleaned and clayed the Y in preparation for a full ceramic coat. I also debadged the hood T and rear DUAL MOTOR emblems. Ceramic coating was accomplished using Wolfgang Concours-Series PROFI Ceramic Coating, which i have used before with excellent results. When Ceramic coating a vehicle, it has to stay inside 24-48 hours for it to fully cure and not get wet.

Our Y had the 20 inch wheels which i liked, but there was something about the esthetics I was not crazy about. Being somewhat "Old School", I was just not crazy about the center cap on the wheels. So, I purchased a set of black lug nut covers and center caps. I was concerned that when I removed the center caps that there would be a stepped recess on the lip for the cap, which would look unsightly, but was pleasantly surprised to find the edge slightly rounded. Attached is the result which is a simple change and totally reversible, and I like it much better. The wheels were ceramic coated as well.

Other things on the list include:
- mud flaps
- new front grill and black out
- fog light trin
- rear spoiler
- center console wood trim
- mini front display
- wheel lip trim in body color
- front spoiler

I am also thinking of adding a swivel adapter to the center screen.

I will keep this thread updated as I progress. Hope everyone enjoys the progress...
If you're looking into a front spoiler, JDP engineering is nice! I say that because I have one as well.

The last things I finished yesterday was installing the rear spoiler, and putting on the rear hatch metal protection straps. When I put on the straps I decided to place 2 small screws per side for additional retention. I thought the straps were aluminum when I ordered them, but was pleasantly surprised to find that they are stainless steel.
20240504_180226.jpg

Here are the protective straps. You can also see the trunk mat I tool out of the Model S as it was like new. It is interesting to note that the trunk footprint is almost exactly the same in the S and Y.
20240504_175600.jpg