Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside Rear Door not opening 2013 Model S P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 Model S Tesla P85+ The external door handles all work. However the rear door handles dont open the door on either side from the inside. The silver handle pulls but normally theres this quick motor sound that allows the door to open but isn't doing it. This is on both rear doors. I have tried to reset the car, pulled the 5a fuse under the hood, Toggled the child lock on and off, and that didn't work. My Tesla service center is trying to rob me for $1300 for a bunch of what I feel are unnecessary parts. Why would they add the external handle (which works) and the internal handle (which pulls but doesn't open the door) in the estimate?

Ive had a truckload of shady experiences with them and to name one.....they tried to send me a quote for $3500 for two headlight bulbs. When I messaged them thru the app they wanted to replace the entire headlight assembly when the repair specifically said just the bulbs. Only the left one was malfunctioning but in my experience when 1 goes soon the other will go to.

I wish there was a way for me to fix it but looking through YouTube but all searches are for the external door handles not the internal ones.

I have a 2013 Model S Tesla P85+ The external door handles all work. However the rear door handles dont open the door on either side from the inside. The silver handle pulls but normally theres this quick motor sound that allows the door to open but isn't doing it. This is on both rear doors. I have tried to reset the car, pulled the 5a fuse under the hood, Toggled the child lock on and off, and that didn't work. My Tesla service center is trying to rob me for $1300 for a bunch of what I feel are unnecessary parts. Why would they add the external handle (which works) and the internal handle (which pulls but doesn't open the door) in the estimate?

Ive had a truckload of shady experiences with them and to name one.....they tried to send me a quote for $3500 for two headlight bulbs. When I messaged them thru the app they wanted to replace the entire headlight assembly when the repair specifically said just the bulbs. Only the left one was malfunctioning but in my experience when 1 goes soon the other will go to.

I wish there was a way for me to fix it but looking through YouTube but all searches are for the external door handles not the internal ones.

Can you post the invoice?

My best bet would be the child lock because it's almost impossible that there are 2 identical defects on both sides but you already checked.

When checking the wiring you can see left rear inner door handle X361 is connected to ground and left front door module. You can test it for continuity and if switched ground reaches front door module then you can rule that out.

Could be wiring under rubber door grommets is bad

Screenshot_20240511_080155_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Can you post the invoice?

My best bet would be the child lock because it's almost impossible that there are 2 identical defects on both sides but you already checked.

When checking the wiring you can see left rear inner door handle X361 is connected to ground and left front door module. You can test it for continuity and if switched ground reaches front door module then you can rule that out.

Could be wiring under rubber door grommets is bad

View attachment 1046115
Here’s the invoice they sent to me for approval

I’ve also noticed some weird *sugar* happening. Im having to redo my Sideview mirrors every time I get in and out of the car.

As far as my expertise goes with the technical aspects of my car, getting into the wiring diagram, other than looking at a schematic that identifies what fuses are that’s about as far as it goes.

Lastly my car is also doing something weird. I noticed that when I came out of the car today and it was still charging normally the car turns off with the display inside and they were on. I also noticed that if I get out of the car to do anything leaving the door open and then get back in and shut the door and I’m sitting in the driver seat The car turns off. I also noticed that this may be in conjunction with the rear doors not opening and may be connected somehow. My car doesn’t have like child protective locks for the doors It just has locks for the window only.

Attachments

• tesla_invoice5e3b3f56-98ec-47ab-8ed0-f2d392e05389.pdf
    78.5 KB · Views: 20
Here’s the invoice they sent to me for approval

I’ve also noticed some weird *sugar* happening. Im having to redo my Sideview mirrors every time I get in and out of the car.

As far as my expertise goes with the technical aspects of my car, getting into the wiring diagram, other than looking at a schematic that identifies what fuses are that’s about as far as it goes.

Lastly my car is also doing something weird. I noticed that when I came out of the car today and it was still charging normally the car turns off with the display inside and they were on. I also noticed that if I get out of the car to do anything leaving the door open and then get back in and shut the door and I’m sitting in the driver seat The car turns off. I also noticed that this may be in conjunction with the rear doors not opening and may be connected somehow. My car doesn’t have like child protective locks for the doors It just has locks for the window only.

Try slamming your seat cushion when screen doesn't go off when you close the door

OMFG I didn’t even know that was there…..the doors work now. I never turned that on and it’s been off for entire time I have owned the car….year and a half….doors in rear work now….ok so I’m a huge pessimist like for life but I do enjoy 1 offs THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Reactions: Gtech