Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV lane bug still in V12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a vehicle support representative on the 800 national support line. The highway "stack" currently has significantly different behaviors from 11.4.9.
It does have some modifications but it is still V11 Occupancy Network and not end to end NNs like V12. I hope Tesla is training V12 for highways and it comes in the next update (12.4.x) or so. But it also could be a while and maybe until V13.x. Also just to add we need parking lots/ASS/Banish added to V12.

I've discovered that the old HOV bug in FSD still exists in V12, and it's actually nastier than in V11. The problem arises when the vehicle is in FSD on a freeway, a route has been mapped involving a right lane exit, and the vehicle is moving in an HOV lane on the left with a single-white-line separating the HOV lane from the leftmost regular freeway lane.

In V11, the vehicle running FSD in the HOV lane would blithely cruise right by the exit needed to continue the planned route, no turn signal and no attempt to change lanes, and Nav would come up with a new right-side exit & route to compensate. The vehicle would also ignore that exit while it remained in the HOV lane.

In V12, the vehicle seems to go into a conflict between what the route demands and what FSD will allow. The vehicle in the HOV lane will turn on its right turn signal as if to change lanes a mile before the exit, but will not leave the HOV lane. The vehicle slows down by 10-15 MPH. But when it starts to pass the exit, the vehicle slows way down to 40 MPH or less, and this with busy traffic behind doing 60-70 MPH. I took over at that point, sped up and cancelled FSD.

This seems to be a very reproducible problem. I observed it now three times on I-5. In one of the situations, the vehicle had its turn signal on and was slowing down about 1/4 mile from the exit, when there was a break in the white line lane boundary, probably due to some accident that scraped off the paint from the pavement. The vehicle immediately left the HOV lane thru the "hole" in the HOV lane boundary, but it was then too late to make three more lane changes & exit as planned.
we believe the issue is the software's overreliance on cameras. while the map program knows it needs to move over to exit, the cameras are showing a solid "do not cross" white line. the software eventually chooses its "safest" solution, which is to stay in its lane, and misses the exit. theoretically this would continue until the line broke or the battery died. we have had occassional success with commanding FSD to change lanes using the turn signal. but the greatest risk here is the speed reduction while FSD tries to determine what to do, creating a collision hazard. if you go to an auto salvage auction and look at FSD accident Teslas, the vast majority have been rear-ended due to an unexpected deceleration. in early FSD versions this was the 'phantom braking" phenomenon. hopefully this gets fixed, because overreliance on cameras is an issue in many navigation errors. for example when FSD changes to the faster left lanes even though it needs to take the exit on the right in less than a mile or when it becomes confused as to where to go even though the map shows the road structure perfectly on the screen.