Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard emergency brake for plate in the road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They were doing some gas line work on my street and when I drove around the site there was a steel plate covering the hole in the road. The car decided it was a problem and did a tire-screetching stop to avoid going over it. The cop and the construction workers looked at me as though I was insane. No harm otherwise, I was going maybe 20 mph. Just be warned that it can happen.

Reactions: Kupe
They were doing some gas line work on my street and when I drove around the site there was a steel plate covering the hole in the road. The car decided it was a problem and did a tire-screetching stop to avoid going over it. The cop and the construction workers looked at me as though I was insane. No harm otherwise, I was going maybe 20 mph. Just be warned that it can happen.
Unfortunately, this kind of thing isn’t limited to Tesla. My (traded in) Honda HR-V with sensors would do the same thing when it “detects” a plate. My guess is the sensors and even “Vision” in Teslas can’t ready be sure what the object is, since it can’t be sure it’s not a car, it’s better to come to a stop.

Was this on autopilot?

What is the status of the car I drove the other day? It put up graphical representations all along the way of items of interest roadside such as "road worker holding stop sign" in US style. Even though it was not that shape it had read STOP. I did not think to test it out by proceeding!