Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from 2024.3.25 to 2024.14.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I couldn’t find the answer, so I’m hoping someone could explain how updates work with so many branches. I’m on 2024.3.25 in a ‘23 MYLR but I like many of the updates in the latest 2024.8.x branch (one time charge limit, wiper fluid anywhere along the wipe, new directional arrows, etc.) Once I get the 2024.14.x update, will it also include all the updates on the 2024.8.x branch? TIA

Yes updates are cumulative so the higher versions will include things that were changed or added in a lower version.

But who knows if the 2024.3.x cars will even get 2024.14.x or if they won’t get updated until a future higher version.

2023.14.x does not appear to have built in FSD. It’s possible that it is just a bonus UI feature set that sits on top of whatever version of FSD you have. So once either branch updates to 2024.14.x, I imagine the vehicle will still have the same version of FSD as it did before the 2024.14.x update. I was confused by some of the answers here, since I don’t believe 2024.8.9 contains everything from 2024.3.25 even though it is a “higher number” update. Guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

2023.14.x does not appear to have built in FSD. It’s possible that it is just a bonus UI feature set that sits on top of whatever version of FSD you have. So once either branch updates to 2024.14.x, I imagine the vehicle will still have the same version of FSD as it did before the 2024.14.x update. I was confused by some of the answers here, since I don’t believe 2024.8.9 contains everything from 2024.3.25 even though it is a “higher number” update. Guess I’ll just have to wait and see.
FSD is separate but also tied to the base firmware version. You cannot upgrade just the base firmware and leave the FSD part of the software on the car ”as is”.

All firmware versions have some form of FSD now, but it may not be the latest FSD version.

Right now the latest FSD version is on 2024.3.25.

FSD is separate but also tied to the base firmware version. You cannot upgrade just the base firmware and leave the FSD part of the software on the car ”as is”.

All firmware versions have some form of FSD now, but it may not be the latest FSD version.

Right now the latest FSD version is on 2024.3.25.
Since I no longer have FSD (my trial expired and I’m not subscribing ATM) would I still get to upgrade from 2024.3.25 to 2024.14.x or am I 💩 outta luck? Don’t care what version of FSD I wind up with since I don’t use it. I just want the features of the 2024.8.x and 2024.14.x updates.

Since I no longer have FSD (my trial expired and I’m not subscribing ATM) would I still get to upgrade from 2024.3.25 to 2024.14.x or am I 💩 outta luck? Don’t care what version of FSD I wind up with since I don’t use it. I just want the features of the 2024.8.x and 2024.14.x updates.
FSD is still embedded in the firmware whether it’s active or not, so you’ll have to wait until they release a new version with the UI updates that has FSD v12 baked in.

FSD is still embedded in the firmware whether it’s active or not, so you’ll have to wait until they release a new version with the UI updates that has FSD v12 baked in.
So what is the version embedded in 2024.14.3? Is it FSD v11 or V12 or simply a UI only update? According to notateslaapp.com 2024.14.3 does not seem to have FSD embedded. It says it is a UI update. It doesn’t show either version of FSD, and there is no mention of any type of FSD/Autopilot/Autopark/etc. in the release notes. But my original question was: Will going from the 3 branch to the 14 branch give me the latest updates to the 8 branch along with the new 14 stuff? Previous TMC comments may have been best guesses when I’m looking for a definitive answer. If anyone has updated to 2024.14.x from 2024.3.25 - in addition to the UI updates of 14, did you also get the abilities to set one time charge limit and to spray washer fluid anywhere along the path of the wipers instead of just at the bottom position?

So what is the version embedded in 2024.14.3? Is it FSD v11 or V12 or simply a UI only update? According to notateslaapp.com 2024.14.3 does not seem to have FSD embedded. It says it is a UI update. It doesn’t show either version of FSD, and there is no mention of any type of FSD/Autopilot/Autopark/etc. in the release notes. But my original question was: Will going from the 3 branch to the 14 branch give me the latest updates to the 8 branch along with the new 14 stuff? Previous TMC comments may have been best guesses when I’m looking for a definitive answer. If anyone has updated to 2024.14.x from 2024.3.25 - in addition to the UI updates of 14, did you also get the abilities to set one time charge limit and to spray washer fluid anywhere along the path of the wipers instead of just at the bottom position?
TeslaFi and Not a Tesla App don’t show the FSD version for 2024.14.3 yet, but they will show that eventually. Every update has some version of FSD built in, updates never “keep” whatever version of FSD you already had. In other words, everyone who installs 2024.14.3 will have the same version of FSD, regardless of what they had before.

Someone who installed 2024.14.3 can confirm what features are included, but in general, other than the FSD version, an update includes all the features from earlier builds, though there have been exceptions. Bear in mind that some features are only applicable to certain model configurations, so you might not get the same 2024.14.3 features that someone else gets.

I'm in a similar spot. Currently on 2024.3.25 with FSD 12.3.6, 2021 M3LR, waiting for the UI updates coming in 2024.14.6 - anyone know if this update will be offered to us? Or too early to tell?
TeslaFi now shows that 2024.14.6 has FSD v12.3.6, same as what you have now, so your FSD version isn't preventing you from getting the newer build. Our two Teslas are still on 2024.3.20 and 3.25.

According to TeslaFi, almost everyone who received 2024.14.6 was on 2024.8.9 (FSD v11.4.9) previously. Maybe Tesla is prioritizing cars that are still on FSD v11.

I'm in a similar spot. Currently on 2024.3.25 with FSD 12.3.6, 2021 M3LR, waiting for the UI updates coming in 2024.14.6 - anyone know if this update will be offered to us? Or too early to tell?
I agree with what @EVRider-FL guessed on the post above: I think priority update to 2021.14.6 is given to 2024.8.9 cars so that they can get to experience the FSD V12 along with the free one-month trial.