Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Trial Really Messed Up Speed Limit Detection!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my MS since 2017 (with EAP). For what EAP does, it's been pretty flawless.
I activated my FSD Trial and now my car is actually worse than EAP in some ways...
It no longer detects any 70MPH zones. If I enter such a zone - it seem regardless of where on the map I am - the speed will not change from where it was. For example, when the speed changes from 55mph to 70mph, the speed limit displayed will continue to show 55mph.
Same with changing from 65mph to 70mph, or any <from> speed to 70mph.
I have a daily commute that includes a 22mi stretch of 70mph and pretty much FSD won't pick up the change and I have to manually set the max speed.

I really don't think this is a map issue, since this will happen anywhere!

Thoughts?

Don't know why it works differently on FSD than EAP, and it doesn't seem like it should, but you can always disable FSD and revert to EAP if you're not comfortable with it.

I'm curious to hear if others are seeing the same issue. Which software version do you have now?

Speed limit detection seems to be very unpredictable with FSD lately. In fact, speed limit signs don't even render on the display for me anymore. In my estimation, when I go past a speed limit sign that changes the speed, FSD adjusts the max speed about half the time. Most of the time on city streets this is fine because it somehow adjusts the speed. It's probably a little to cautious (slow) for me, but I suppose that's better than being too aggressive. I just wish it would respond when I increase the max speed using the scroll wheel.
Others having similar experiences, or know how it determines the speed if it's no longer reading speed limit signs?
2020 Model 3 SR, FSD 12.3.6

I started noticing this issue before I got the FSD trial with version 2024.8.* (all 3 updates). It started missing the signs on a local highway going form 60 to 65 and then 65 to 70. THrough a bit of trial and error, I found that if I turned off the highway and right back on, it would pick up the 70MPH limit, but it seemed to be coming from the map data because I never saw the sign show up on the display like it normally does.

Once I finally got the FSD trial, it still has the same issue, but at least in FSD it will let me manually push it up to 70MPH when it thinks the limit is 60. In auto-pilot, it will only allow 5 over on a 2 lane county highway. Hoping they get this fixed. It has worked just fine for the past 2 and a half years since I've had my Y.