Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone mentioned one ear, this definitely affected my left ear more with out e-tron and I still have trouble with that ear to this day (almost 3 years from selling it). There is this annoying bass sensitivity and pressure feeling.

We rented a Q5 the other day and it was so uncomfortable due to booming. Anyone else drive that car recently? Even my wife was fatigued by it. We regularly drive in a 2-3 other SUVs and hatchbacks zero booming issue.

At least ilovecoffee developed a solution for the Y. Just wanted to add that this is not just a problem with the model y!

Wow! This is "exactly" what mine sounds like! And yes - wet weather definitely dampens the perceived noise - very odd isn't it?

At first I thought it was the tailgate. I've removed all trim, felted, secured wires, 8mm tubing, adjusted hatch stops, installed solid stops etc. if anything - correctly adjusted lower stops make it significantly worse - I run them full in now.

As in my post linked above I carefully removed all hatch and trunk trims. I rode in the back to locate the source of the noise. You would not believe how loud it sounds with all the trim removed! The noise is coming from a very specific section of the trunk. Exactly where the lower left hatch stop makes contact. Photo in attached

Tesla SC are unable/incapable/unwilling to fix whatever is causing this...
You pointed the issue to SC and they couldn't/didn't want to fix it? I recently installed a 5/16" tube and it sounds like it helped a bit but the noise is not completely gone. I can't tell for sure because prior to installing the tube, I opened up one of the rear seat back panel to check for loose wires/clips and accidentally broke 2 clips. Good thing I did though because I noticed there's 2-3 clips missing. So that seat panel is currently sitting clipped on with 4 clips only and has a broken piece of a clip inside and it's causing some rattle. I'm bringing this to SC in a couple of weeks to have them fix it and also check the other rear seat panels for missing clips. Hopefully once that's fixed, I can get a better idea of how much the tube helped.

Also FYI, I watched a lot of Model Y POV videos and I turn the volume way up and paid close attention when the car goes over bumps. Most of the Model Ys in the videos make the exact same noise. Even the 2024 Ys. Hell.. I heard the same noise in a model 3 highland video as well. I'm starting to wonder if the noise is actually just from the suspension.

I’ve been away from this thread for a while. I think people are hearing different things. The subsonic noises we’ve had since Day 1 can be heard sitting still in our garage. The outside world needs to be very quiet (I tried this at midnight). Turn on the AC or the heat - when the compressor clicks on, you’ll hear/feel this disturbing extremely low rumble. If you can hear it in a video played back on your phone or tablet, you are hearing a different noise. You’d need a serious subwoofer to hear the subsonic noise that was bothering us when we got our early 2021 Y.

I’m traveling right now but will try again in 2 weeks when I get back. The problem hasn’t been bothering us for the last few years, and I’d like to try to determine if we’ve become desensitized or the problem has lessened.