Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck is a scam.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think of those as “features”, not “luxuries”.

Maybe I’m stuck in the past, but “luxury” speaks to me as Ricardo Montalban hawking “Finest Corinthian Leather”. Or jeweled analog clocks. Or chrome or wood or faux carbon fiber panels or surrounds. Ostentatious for the sake of being ostentatious.

But I’ve already stipulated there’s a market for such things. My ex had a thing for Jaguars, so I’ve experienced it. Just does nothing for me and I’d rather have the money going toward features and performance rather than baubles.
Luxury means special emphasis on quality interiors using upscale materials along with a particular emphasis on NVH - which has never been noteworthy on any/all Tesla models. The only Tesla model that I've driven in that has any real focus on NVH is the M3+. Over this past weekend we test drove both a M3+ LR and a MS LR and, hands down, the M3+ LR had much better NVH characteristics than the older MS. During our test drives we used the exact same routes and specifically chose roads with quite a bit of construction and bumps to get a good sense of how each vehicle performed. We used the softest comfort suspension settings on the MS just to be clear. Bumps and pavement imperfections were merely heard not felt in the M3+ - not the case with the MS. Even the MS with it's air suspension feels less like a luxury ride than the new M3+. Kudos to Tesla for finally putting out a vehicle that actually has good NVH performance. I sincerely hope that the Juniper MY gets the same treatment next year. If this ends up being the case - we may well trade up our current MY LR for a new Juniper model when that time comes.

I too am in the 'it better be really silent and smooth for >45K', and really this is something EVs should be able to accomplish easily. I know the Lyriq I drove last year both felt and sounded very luxurious, smooth and quiet.

I have an F150 Limited and it's the quietest truck that TFC has ever measured and is certainly one of the features I enjoy most about it.

But not only do Teslas sound and feel a bit cheap when driving them with the poor NVH, the lack of a proper interior is also cheap to manufacture & warranty, which is why they build them that way frankly.

I don't mind, that should just be reflected in the pricing. Your car looks cheaper than a Corolla? Well then it should cost less than a Corolla!

I too am in the 'it better be really silent and smooth for >45K', and really this is something EVs should be able to accomplish easily. I know the Lyriq I drove last year both felt and sounded very luxurious, smooth and quiet.

I have an F150 Limited and it's the quietest truck that TFC has ever measured and is certainly one of the features I enjoy most about it.

But not only do Teslas sound and feel a bit cheap when driving them with the poor NVH, the lack of a proper interior is also cheap to manufacture & warranty, which is why they build them that way frankly.

I don't mind, that should just be reflected in the pricing. Your car looks cheaper than a Corolla? Well then it should cost less than a Corolla!

You’re paying for the “tech” you know the Texh not available like lockers, AP, FSD and those Automatic Wipers that don’t know what speed they should be at

• Funny
Reactions: HitchHiker71
I don’t see CT disrupting the truck market whatsoever. It’s just too eccentric with limited value for the money. Will not be surprised to see huge price cuts with time.

They new RAM models previewed today look like a major step forward. The interior on the current limited model blows anything Tesla has out of the water for those that expect a premium interior for 90k. I wanted to purchase one in 2019 but ended up going with Ford because Ram’s v8 was anemic. Now they’ve fixed that with the TT i6 or gas electric hybrid.

I think you're right.

Pros and companies will not be likely to choose Cybertruck as a workhorse. At least not in the short-term. This is just my opinion, but I do have a background in sales and marketing as well as business ownership. Businesses will look for the most cost effective option that is easy to deploy and is reliable. Plus, they want expenditure and depreciating assets to be predicable and stable. Tesla's erratic price fluctuations make it a headache for both the company and its accountants.

If you're talking about the enthusiast market, that may be a different story. I don't have the data, but I recall seeing an article that talked about the sharp increase in truck sales and how it has become a trend in the United States. Those people would certainly consider a Cybertruck. I never owned a pick up truck, but I sure will buy the Cybertruck :)

I don’t see CT disrupting the truck market whatsoever. It’s just too eccentric with limited value for the money. Will not be surprised to see huge price cuts with time.

They new RAM models previewed today look like a major step forward. The interior on the current limited model blows anything Tesla has out of the water for those that expect a premium interior for 90k. I wanted to purchase one in 2019 but ended up going with Ford because Ram’s v8 was anemic. Now they’ve fixed that with the TT i6 or gas electric hybrid.

The more I see the CT's aft design the less I like it. In certain light and angles I see wavy imperfections on the SS back tailgate. I fear Elon jumped the shark with the CT and it likely won't be redesigned for another 4 or 5 years.

Reactions: HitchHiker71

NVH and "proper interior" (which is completely subjective) is not the only or even primary aspect of a car. Otherwise there would not be such a big spread in a car price for options for cars with exactly the same interior and NVH.

Reactions: evo9rs
I just watched a video on the Silverado (4WT) where the did a towing test against a gas truck. To counter folks who say an EV truck can't tow, the Silverado actually did quite well, managing 232 miles towing a trailer until it had to recharge. The gas truck towing the same trailer used 23.6 gallons of gas. I've seen some folks saying they can tow 500 miles with their gas trucks when trying to rag on EVs. Do they have 50+ gallon tanks? That would be pretty insane, given that a gas car might have a 15 gallon tank.

Things like the 4-wheel steering and stainless steel are cool, but bet they could have made a more traditional truck with similar range to the long range Silverado for the same price. I wonder how popular that would be compared to the current Cybertruck. I just bought an F-150 Lightning; if Tesla had made a similar truck to the Lightning but with much greater range, I probably would have gone with Tesla. I might not be a typical case though. I'm not really sure which would rate or sell better.

I just watched a video on the Silverado (4WT) where the did a towing test against a gas truck. To counter folks who say an EV truck can't tow, the Silverado actually did quite well, managing 232 miles towing a trailer until it had to recharge. The gas truck towing the same trailer used 23.6 gallons of gas. I've seen some folks saying they can tow 500 miles with their gas trucks when trying to rag on EVs. Do they have 50+ gallon tanks? That would be pretty insane, given that a gas car might have a 15 gallon tank.
Are there any full sized trucks with 15 gallon tanks?

23-26 is standard and most companies offer 30-36 gallon upgrades.

When you get into larger diesel trucks (F250, etc) they can have 40+ gallon tanks.

I had an F150 Diesel with a 36 gallon tank. I could tow my boat (around 6k lbs) 400+ miles with ease. In a CT, Rivian, F150L I wouldn't make it 120 miles going the same speeds.

The Silverado can tow because it has a massive battery (212 kWh). It still won't match or beat an ICE truck, but it's much closer.