Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People have been telling Elon about this for years, but he must be too busy over at X. If the people who are actually working on it can't get it right, then hire smarter people! We should get what we paid for and it shouldn't take a decade to fix. But do you even need auto wipers? We can manually use them in set speeds or on an intermittent setting, why is that so difficult?! Everything doesn't have to always be automatic or we will end up being a lump of flesh sitting on a seat, not knowing how to do anything.
My main problem is when I drove ice cars I could alter the windshield wipers with a flick of the left steering wheel knob. Now I have to look down at the screen to adjust from 1 2 3 or 4-speed. Today I thought I'd take a break driving home and put it on auto I was cruising along at 50 miles an hour in heavy rain and suddenly the wipers just decided to turn off. Now it's a joke when they turn on (which mine do frequently in auto) when it's dry out but it's a extremely dangerous situation when I'm cruising along in heavy rain with wipers that are needed and they stop working and I can't see where the freak I'm going! And then I have to look down or press the steering wheel right button and hope that the car understands my request which it often doesn't. I can't believe they set us up to basically have accidents because they just can't get a simple Auto wiper to work. I've used auto wipers in many ice cars and it was never a freaking problem! Honestly pretty pissed off right now. I'm beginning to regret ever buying this car I feel like I got sold a bill of goods and it's just been one thing after another for the last year

Reactions: Resist
My main problem is when I drove ice cars I could alter the windshield wipers with a flick of the left steering wheel knob. Now I have to look down at the screen to adjust from 1 2 3 or 4-speed. Today I thought I'd take a break driving home and put it on auto I was cruising along at 50 miles an hour in heavy rain and suddenly the wipers just decided to turn off. Now it's a joke when they turn on (which mine do frequently in auto) when it's dry out but it's a extremely dangerous situation when I'm cruising along in heavy rain with wipers that are needed and they stop working and I can't see where the freak I'm going! And then I have to look down or press the steering wheel right button and hope that the car understands my request which it often doesn't. I can't believe they set us up to basically have accidents because they just can't get a simple Auto wiper to work. I've used auto wipers in many ice cars and it was never a freaking problem! Honestly pretty pissed off right now. I'm beginning to regret ever buying this car I feel like I got sold a bill of goods and it's just been one thing after another for the last year
After tapping the windshield wiper button on the left stalk you can use the left steering wheel scroll wheel (push left and right like skipping to the next track on a song) to alter the 1-4 speeds of the windshield wipers. Takes a minute to get used to it, but a very easy way to adjust windshield wiper speed without having to tap the screen.

Reactions: Kupe and fsb1
After tapping the windshield wiper button on the left stalk you can use the left steering wheel scroll wheel (push left and right like skipping to the next track on a song) to alter the 1-4 speeds of the windshield wipers. Takes a minute to get used to it, but a very easy way to adjust windshield wiper speed without having to tap the screen.
Didn't know that. Helpful. Thanks.

Reactions: dbarrycoyle
Agreed with all the above here. I'm on my 2nd model 3 and the wipers have just gotten worse. Now I find just using I or II setting, or manually tapping the stalk when needed in low rain. When autopilot is on, they're completely random. My old '93 Ranger had the best feature. Analog collar on the right stalk, 1 click in the rotation turned them on, and this was slowest rate: say, 1 wipe every 6-8 sec. Then as you slower turned the collar (clockwise?) the period increased. Max speed prior to next click was about every 2-3 sec. This click was slow, next click, fast. So easy!!! Why not do that? Have a slider on the screen for wipe rate??????? Nobody wants "auto" as it's never what you want. =-D

But do you even need auto wipers? We can manually use them in set speeds or on an intermittent setting, why is that so difficult?! Everything doesn't have to always be automatic or we will end up being a lump of flesh sitting on a seat, not knowing how to do anything.
This comment .

No we dont NEED it, but for me, i have had autowipers that just worked in multiple cars in the last 10 years. I am now accustomed to auto wipers, that until i got the Tesla just worked more or less flawlessly.

So no i dont NEED it, but i am used to it and it just works.

If we look at it, there are a lot of "nice to have" features in a car, that we dont NEED, but now that we have them, they are harder to live without.

I also dont NEED automatic climate control, my first car with A/C only had a button and some knobs to manually control the temperature in the car, this worked as well, but today i would not want to not have it being automatic, adjusting itself, but i totally COULD live without it if i had to.

Reactions: Royal27 and Resist