Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C turning on when car is parked and interior temp just 77 F

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I often complete work inside my car and have been doing in a Tesla for 5+ years. Today, the AC seems to be turning on randomly. It shouldn't be due to cabin overheat protection - overcast day, exterior temperature 60 and interior temp 77. I even turned off overheat protection, even though it is normally on. The app doesn't show the climate as being on even with the fan blowing and everything shuts off when I open the door, but then randomly turns on again a few minutes later after the door is shut. Any thoughts?

I am used to sitting in the car with noises that are probably have been the battery management system, but I've not had air blowing on me before, that is what is surprising. It just turned on again, so about 5-6 minutes after the door shuts. Maybe it's just a software thing with the current version (2024.3.20). I'll have to see if it continues after the next update.

It shouldn't be due to cabin overheat protection - overcast day, exterior temperature 60 and interior temp 77.

Why cant it be Cabin overheat protection? An outside temperature of 77 with a car having all rolled up windows will easily push the temperature inside the car past 100.

edit...

Wait.. I think I overlooked something.. are you sitting INSIDE the car with everything off?

Why cant it be Cabin overheat protection? An outside temperature of 77 with a car having all rolled up windows will easily push the temperature inside the car past 100.

edit...

Wait.. I think I overlooked something.. are you sitting INSIDE the car with everything off?
You are definitely correct that a sunny day can shoot the interior temp up even if it is cool outside (we get that a lot in Upstate NY). however, that was not the case this day and I was inside the car and knew it wasn't sweltering inside (and the Tesla app interior temp agreed). I have a service request in and will update when I hear back from the service team.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
If it's doing it only when you're inside the car, it could be a safety feature based on the seat occupancy sensor or some interior camera processing, ensuring that the air doesn't get too stale for whomever remains in the vehicle. Just guessing, but I also don't read every software update notice, so maybe that was recently introduced?

If it's doing it only when you're inside the car, it could be a safety feature based on the seat occupancy sensor or some interior camera processing, ensuring that the air doesn't get too stale for whomever remains in the vehicle. Just guessing, but I also don't read every software update notice, so maybe that was recently introduced?
That’s an interesting idea, it did seem to come on at the same time interval after closing the door. I’ll let you know what they tell me.

Reactions: KevinT3141