Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zappi and MYP. Stopping and starting charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seem to be getting notifications occasionally from the car that charging stopped but then starts immediately again. I have a zappi v2 with a harvi and a hub.
I have unplugged and replugged the car.
I have updated the my energi hub and zappi to the latest firmware
I have restarted the zappi (it is tethered)

As soon as I have done all of the above I get another charging stopped then started couple of notifications few mins after plugging it in again during my octopus go faster cheap time.

Any ideas on who to ask for assistance? Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20230108_215306704.jpg
    PXL_20230108_215306704.jpg
    619.5 KB · Views: 248
Best solution...turn off the "charging stopped" notifications.

During the summer if you are using excess solar and a cloud comes along you wil being notified constantly otherwise. Simpl solution (so long as the xappi and apps are doing what they said they would do

During the summer if you are using excess solar and a cloud comes along you wil being notified constantly otherwise

Would that be a concern? As I understand it frequent stop/start of charge is bad for the connectors (as distinct from dropping / raising the AMPs)

I had a Zappi fitted, having assumed that I would use its ability to divert excess solar to EV, but in practice I have found that I need an API solution because my PV generates more than 7kW so needs to start divert whilst charging PowerWall - not wait until it has finished!

Is the stopping occurring during surplus PV charging or Fast/boost charging?

If it’s during Eco+ charging, set the stop timer in the Eco+ settings to a higher time. Personally, I have mine set to 60s start and 240s stop, to avoid any unnecessary starting and stopping.

If this is happening during boost/Fast, try turning on compatibility mode and up the stop timer. This will cause the Zappi to wait longer before ending a charge session if the car momentarily stops taking a charge (which the Y may do on occasion due to battery heating?).

Thanks for the replies guys. A bit more detail;

This is happening during the evening time boost that I have from 8.30pm till 1.30am. Not during the excess solar time when it is normal to expect charging to stop and start depending on cloud cover.

Thanks for the replies guys. A bit more detail;

This is happening during the evening time boost that I have from 8.30pm till 1.30am. Not during the excess solar time when it is normal to expect charging to stop and start depending on cloud cover.
There could be an issue with the cable. The pilot wires are very thin and have been known to break, causing issues where charging stops and starts. Are you able to try charging a different EV?

I have the same "issue", but rolec charger + Ev.energy app + Octopus go.
In my case, maybe is Ev.energy app.
I have had the same issue for months with the same set up. Sometimes the car fails to charge completely, some times it will charge about 24kwh in the 4 hour window, seems to stop and restart a few times an hour. Very random, Tesla have checked over the car and no problems charging anywhere else. Been trying various "fixes" to find the offending element but no joy. Rolec won't respond at all from the techsupport contact email address.

There could be an issue with the cable. The pilot wires are very thin and have been known to break, causing issues where charging stops and starts. Are you able to try charging a different EV?
That is the plan I intend to use a friend's ev today to charge and if that stops too then it is definitely the zappi. I spoke to the my energi people and they are quite receptive and said try another ev and zappi v2 have had connection problems in the past.

I have had the same issue for months with the same set up. Sometimes the car fails to charge completely, some times it will charge about 24kwh in the 4 hour window, seems to stop and restart a few times an hour. Very random, Tesla have checked over the car and no problems charging anywhere else. Been trying various "fixes" to find the offending element but no joy. Rolec won't respond at all from the techsupport contact email address.
Have you changed your Tesla password to remove EV.energy or any other apps from the equation?

Have you changed your Tesla password to remove EV.energy or any other apps from the equation?
Hi, yes, we tried that as part of the troubleshooting with Tesla. The charge starts okay then after a random interval, it will stop momentarily then ramps back up to 7kw. This happens multiple times in a typical charging window.

I have the same "issue", but rolec charger + Ev.energy app + Octopus go.
In my case, maybe is Ev.energy app.
I have had the same issue for months with the same set up. Sometimes the car fails to charge completely, some times it will charge about 24kwh in the 4 hour window. Very random, Tesla have checked over the car and no problems charging anywhere else.

I collected my new Y on May 1st and that night the charge failed. I had my Zappi 2 for three years, charging my e-Niro without issue. I reported the issue to Tesla support and since then the ball has been tossed back and forth between Myenergi and Tesla. Finally Myenergi replaced my charger with a brand new one and sadly that night the issue was still there. Charging is just as discussed already and as said before there is no issue with any public chargers. I am now convinced that this is a Tesla problem and have told them so. I am now waiting for a service appointment but obviously it must be a home visit. I tried the granny cable and had no issue. So I suspect that the Tesla charging plug and socket is not fully in compliance with the standard. Tonight I plan to use the supplied Tesla cable as an extension to my tethered Zappi cable to see if that makes a difference as it may be that the Tesla to Tesla cable connection is somehow different. Update. My cunning plan failed. The cables seem to connect but clearly I am being stupid as there is no handshake between them.

Last edited:
Tonight I plan to use the supplied Tesla cable as an extension to my tethered Zappi cable to see if that makes a difference as it may be that the Tesla to Tesla cable connection is somehow different. Update. My cunning plan failed. The cables seem to connect but clearly I am being stupid as there is no handshake between them.
Yes, as you discovered ... Type 2 cables are specifically designed not to allow extensions - for safety reasons. Could you describe the detail of your Zappi scenario? (I have a Zappi and could try and replicate your settings.)

Yes, as you discovered ... Type 2 cables are specifically designed not to allow extensions - for safety reasons. Could you describe the detail of your Zappi scenario? (I have a Zappi and could try and replicate your settings.)
Hi. My three year old Zappi 2 was flawless with my previous Kia but has frequently failed since getting a Model Y in May 23. I usually do an overnight charge but now it can not be depended on. Usually it fails after an hour or two and sometimes restarts. Other times I have to unplug it and start again. Not funny when I have a early morning start. Tesla blames the charger but Myenergi very kindly supplied and fitted a brand new one last Thursday but the problem remained. I have a solar energy system and storage batteries. The Zappi is tethered. For the overnight charge I always set it to Fast mode. Obviously my Zappi is on the latest V5 firmware, as was my previous one. I notified Tesla Support again after the latest failure and they very arrogantly advised me that it is not their problem. Many thanks for you help. I should have said that the Granny lead works ok as does all public chargers.

Attachments

• IMG-3392.jpg
    IMG-3392.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-3391.jpg
    IMG-3391.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-3390.jpg
    IMG-3390.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG-3389.jpg
    IMG-3389.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG-3388.jpg
    IMG-3388.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG-3387.jpg
    IMG-3387.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-3386.jpg
    IMG-3386.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-3385.jpg
    IMG-3385.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-3398.jpg
    IMG-3398.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
...the Zappi is tethered. For the overnight charge I always set it to Fast mode.
Since 2020 I've a used Zappi with both Model 3 & Model Y.

Eco+ for daytime solar or for setting an overnight schedule with the Myenergi app (not Fast mode, this is only used when enabling an Intelligent Octopus charge). In all cases I don't have any charge settings in the Tesla app, merely the target SOC needed.

I seem to recall reading previously about random issues with the latest Myenergi firmware (is that V5?) so I haven't updated mine since much earlier this year as it has always worked without issue and I see no reason to change that. Sorry if this is of no use to you - I'm not sure if it's possible to go back to a previous firmware level but worth a call to Myenergi tech support to ask (Darren has always been extremely helpful if I needed anything).

Hi. My three year old Zappi 2 was flawless with my previous Kia but has frequently failed since getting a Model Y in May 23. I usually do an overnight charge but now it can not be depended on. Usually it fails after an hour or two and sometimes restarts. Other times I have to unplug it and start again. Not funny when I have a early morning start. Tesla blames the charger but Myenergi very kindly supplied and fitted a brand new one last Thursday but the problem remained. I have a solar energy system and storage batteries. The Zappi is tethered. For the overnight charge I always set it to Fast mode. Obviously my Zappi is on the latest V5 firmware, as was my previous one. I notified Tesla Support again after the latest failure and they very arrogantly advised me that it is not their problem. Many thanks for you help. I should have said that the Granny lead works ok as does all public chargers.

Having the Zappi in Default FAST mode would appear to rule out some of the potential communication issues when setting the Zappi for timed charging so you would certainly expect it to be straight forward. I presume that, like me, you simply set a maximum percentage and start time with the Tesla. Something that does add confusion to charges starting is the randomised delay on the newer models of Zappi. The car is expecting a charge and, of course, the Zappi nowadays waits anything from a few seconds to 10 minutes before starting to supply charge.

Have you looked at the fault notifications list that the car retains? Also the Zappi retains a list of dated faults and voltage peaks.

The problem I have when trying to track down my own charging issues is that we are in a very rural location with a questionable supply from a rusty transformer up a pole! The voltage fluctuations out here result in the car and/or the Zappi moving the current availability up/down over the period of the charge. However, I can't remember having a charge actually fail in recent times. Though I have seen Tessie app note an occasional interruption for a few minutes with the charge continuing thereafter. (Tessie app has a free trial so could be useful in gathering some data.)

For info my M3 is on software 2023.32.6

I should comment that despite the great reputation that the Zappi has they are most definitely not infallible ... I'm on my third unit since September 2019 ... with 2 free replacements of faulty units having been supplied by MyEnergi. The first one had unexplained crashes and charge failures and my second eventually cooked some internal connections ... I now have the newer version with the built in Hub and Wifi (oh, I also had a failed Myenergi Hub unit prior to this). I give Myenergi full marks for readily and promptly coming up with the free replacements. Combine this with the V5 software problems and we have to remain open to charging issues coming from the charge point side of things even though your history of charging another vehicle suggests otherwise.

Having the Zappi in Default FAST mode would appear to rule out some of the potential communication issues when setting the Zappi for timed charging so you would certainly expect it to be straight forward. I presume that, like me, you simply set a maximum percentage and start time with the Tesla. Something that does add confusion to charges starting is the randomised delay on the newer models of Zappi. The car is expecting a charge and, of course, the Zappi nowadays waits anything from a few seconds to 10 minutes before starting to supply charge.

Have you looked at the fault notifications list that the car retains? Also the Zappi retains a list of dated faults and voltage peaks.

The problem I have when trying to track down my own charging issues is that we are in a very rural location with a questionable supply from a rusty transformer up a pole! The voltage fluctuations out here result in the car and/or the Zappi moving the current availability up/down over the period of the charge. However, I can't remember having a charge actually fail in recent times. Though I have seen Tessie app note an occasional interruption for a few minutes with the charge continuing thereafter. (Tessie app has a free trial so could be useful in gathering some data.)

For info my M3 is on software 2023.32.6

I should comment that despite the great reputation that the Zappi has they are most definitely not infallible ... I'm on my third unit since September 2019 ... with 2 free replacements of faulty units having been supplied by MyEnergi. The first one had unexplained crashes and charge failures and my second eventually cooked some internal connections ... I now have the newer version with the built in Hub and Wifi (oh, I also had a failed Myenergi Hub unit prior to this). I give Myenergi full marks for readily and promptly coming up with the free replacements. Combine this with the V5 software problems and we have to remain open to charging issues coming from the charge point side of things even though your history of charging another vehicle suggests otherwise.

Hi. It's interesting to hear that you too have had your zappi replaced more than once. My previous Zappi from 2020 was still running the original firmware as I had no hub, but It had never missed a beat until day one with Tesla. Myenergi replaced it with the latest version even though the warranty was marginal. It was installed in January 2020 but my first EV was delivered in July of that year. The Model Y arrived on May 1st 23 and charging failed that same night. Now I got stroppy with Tesla and they have offered me a service visit on Nov 6th but I fully expect them to pass the buck. I found on Myenergi a Tesla owner with similar issues. The problem turned out to be an incorrectly fitted port on the car. It seems to have been spaced slightly too far back. A dodgy control cable contact would explain all this. Back on charge tonight after an easy week. I will report back.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado