Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Youtube resolution now locked at 360p after update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, I did open a service ticket for this issue. My communications-

D1AA40B9-D1ED-4BAB-9CA4-D69DA41538F5.jpeg
4A737E82-5F80-453A-B083-F7CFEF5556FC.jpeg

274AF1EE-A093-4D14-A2CC-F185DA61F496.jpeg

Found workaround:)

When selecting the broken resolution menu in the settings, move the leftmost steering wheel control left (IE as in switching to previous song) and I'm able to iterate through resolutions. I had to keep a finger on the resolution widget that fails to turn into a menu while doing the first "left" click

I just wanted to say that, members helping each other like this post right here is the reason I still come to TMC daily. Thanks for sharing.

It seems pretty obvious to me that Tesla intentionally lowered the resolution to save money. I don't think they have any intentions of fixing something that they already consider "fixed". The fact that it's locked to 360p even on WiFi is probably just collateral damage.
SCNR: And don't call me Shirley 😁
So what if your accusations are wrong, and Tesla did not intentionally do this to save money.
How would you the. reply to your post, if your accusations are completely wrong ?

Reactions: henderrj
So what if your accusations are wrong, and Tesla did not intentionally do this to save money.
How would you the. reply to your post, if your accusations are completely wrong ?
1) Read what you write before you post. The second line doesn't make any sense.
2) Assuming that I understand your question correctly, I would say "I stand corrected".
3) I made one point. ONE. Why are you accusing me of making accusations (plural)?
4) I made an assumption, not an accusation. I have better things to do than complain about a lowered resolution in the car's YouTube app. The image quality is still perfectly acceptable to me.

• Funny
Reactions: M109Rider
I had a problem today with my Y using BT phone key and music BT functionality. Very intermittent. So I decided to drive over to the local Tesla shop and ask about it. (keep reading, I'm getting to the YouTube res. issue next paragraph). Without an appointment, and without even a minute lof waiting time, the service tech had me do the double button reset, eliminated the old phone pairing, and re-paired from scratch. Another positive service visit! (Naperville/Lisle, BTW). We'll see if that fix sticks. I hadn't driven the car for 5 days. Perhaps the car was locking out my phone for lack of use?

Now, while I had the tech in the car, I asked about the YouTube and resolution bug. He hadn't known anything about it yet, but I explained what we have discussed so far here. We brought up some YouTube streams, and they defaulted to 480p right from the get-go, and not 360. The drop-down selector under settings worked, but pegged out at 720p.

I mentioned that in the coming days he might have some customers coming in with the stuck 360 res. issue, and I showed him the workaround method of the left button scroll wheel. That was something he never knew it could do. And it wasn't necessary to hold the res. dropdown to change the resolution - just cycle through the left scroll wheel to the left after touching the dropdown once. The range was from 144p to 720p, but not beyond that. Could have been the videos we were looking at, but at least one tech in the company now knows what the workaround is, and I'll bet it will come up and they'll begin to share that method until a fix is in sometime with a future download.

What's your main home page interface look like on YouTube? Are you using the dropdown or are you using the workaround?
Well I’ve attached some pics. Don’t judge the suggestions. My kid man. I’m on 2022.44.30.10. The pic was taken while on wifi but when I posted earlier I was on the car’s cell connectivity and same result.

The drop down is gone. The interface changed with the update. I have to click on my account icon and then select YT TV from there. I never use it for anything else so perhaps a difference with just tv. Dunno

Not using any workaround just to be clear. Hopefully you all have a different interface that will be updated soon.

Attachments

• 4AAA5C2A-34F7-4172-8BAE-A6466F5258B5.jpeg
    4AAA5C2A-34F7-4172-8BAE-A6466F5258B5.jpeg
    451.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 569159A7-ED4C-46DC-8AF3-E8F77EF5B7E0.jpeg
    569159A7-ED4C-46DC-8AF3-E8F77EF5B7E0.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Well I’ve attached some pics. Don’t judge the suggestions. My kid man. I’m on 2022.44.30.10. The pic was taken while on wifi but when I posted earlier I was on the car’s cell connectivity and same result.

The drop down is gone. The interface changed with the update. I have to click on my account icon and then select YT TV from there. I never use it for anything else so perhaps a difference with just tv. Dunno

Not using any workaround just to be clear. Hopefully you all have a different interface that will be updated soon.
Yeah, the TV interface hasn't changed.

I was able to get the YouTube resolution to go up to "4K" resolution reported as 2160 in a 2021 Model Y on 2022.44.30. The car is connected to my home wifi.

The first two videos I tried had the settings button in the upper right corner of the screen. I was able to open it and use the scroll wheel to change resolution with my finger on the resolution in the settings menu. The first video maxed out at 360 but the second one went up to at least 1080. The third one I tried (after a foray into Disney+) had the settings button on the bottom right. I was able to go up to 2160 using an on-screen resolution menu without needing to use the scroll wheel. It's possible the first video would have had higher resolutions available if I waited a couple of minutes.

I think the third video had gotten into "Theater Mode" which is available on YouTube via a browser but AFAIK not on the YouTube app. "Stats for Nerds" was also available which was cool. YouTube theater mode carried over to the browser on my computer. The button to go to Theater mode is a rectangle next to the full screen button on the bottom right.

The Disney+ app took many minutes to load. After about 5 minutes of seeing the full loading bar with no action I gave up and tried YouTube. When I went back to Disney+ it still took a couple of minutes but did finally load. The brief few seconds of video I watched looked okay but seemed to have a resolution lower than 1080. It could have been dvd resolution. A few seconds into the video the app crashed with a Disney+ error message. The "dismiss" button on the error message bubble seemed to do nothing so I gave up. Again.

Left scroll wheel click works for me! I had to go from 360p past 144p (not 1440p) and keep clicking, and eventually got to the higher resolutions.

Netflix is still pretty bad though, also looks like 360p and with significant blocking artifacts.

Or is the app just a skinned browser?
I'm sure the apps are skins of the browser. There is no way Tesla engineers would painstakingly copy all of the design elements of the interfaces in such detail. In addition, the Tesla apps mimic the web sites not the tablet/phone apps.

I found evidence last summer that the Spotify audio app might also be based on the browser. This was "fixed" in an update but last summer I was able to play music through the Spotify web site in the Tesla browser while driving. Even the left scroll wheel worked for changing songs and pause/play. AFAIK this was the only audio site that worked in the Tesla browser while driving.

Reactions: Maaz and Ratch
I'm sure the apps are skins of the browser. There is no way Tesla engineers would painstakingly copy all of the design elements of the interfaces in such detail. In addition, the Tesla apps mimic the web sites not the tablet/phone apps.

I found evidence last summer that the Spotify audio app might also be based on the browser. This was "fixed" in an update but last summer I was able to play music through the Spotify web site in the Tesla browser while driving. Even the left scroll wheel worked for changing songs and pause/play. AFAIK this was the only audio site that worked in the Tesla browser while driving.
This has been discussed here previously. Most of not all the Tesla media choices are likely webapps that refer to various pages on the specific provider's servers. I discovered this during my investigations as to why hulu wasn't working a while back. I searched around the hulu's servers and discovered various pages that made up the Tesla Hulu "app".

Reactions: BitJam and Maaz