Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Your Tesla's here. What will you do first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SunTek

Former Vendor
Mar 18, 2019
St Louis
Waiting for delivery means plenty of time to think, research and prepare for what you’ll do with your Tesla after its arrival.

What’s your plan? How will you customize your Tesla to help preserve its value, improve your driving experience, or change the look?

Wrap the nose, paint is very thin, it will look bad in a few years
Tint the windows and sunroof.
I have an antique, I had to buy a drop in console.
I had to buy Weathertech floor mats, I deal with beach sand and lime stone everyday. It won't come out of regular mats.
Trailer receiver for bike rack. I had to buy gold up bike
My 2 cents

Attachments

• IMG_20170820_081216.jpg
    IMG_20170820_081216.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 69
We've purchased 2 Model S and 1 Model X.

Our first Tesla was purchased in early 2013 and traded in last summer for our X, after almost 100K miles.

When we purchased our 2012 S P85, Tesla's standard mats were extremely poor quality - so we purchased Tesla's premium carpet mats - which are now included as standard. With our X, we ordered the hard mats for the front, middle and rear seats.

The only other "upgrade" to our S P85 was adding the center console, which is also now standard.

We didn't install any additional window tinting or wrapping. Even in Texas heat, the including tinting, coupled with overheat protection and pre-cooling with the smartphone app has kept the vehicle comfortable when we get in.

Other than the typical door dings, some gravel nicks on the front (which are easily fixed with a little touchup paint), and some curb rash on the rims - the exterior of the vehicle was in fantastic shape. The paint held up extremely well - and we haven't seen any paint issues with our 2017 S 100D or 2018 X 100D.

The one item we would strongly encourage, especially with the ultra white seats - getting something to cover the seats when you have dirty or wet clothes. This has protected the ultra white seats in our 2017 S & 2018 X. Since we only do this occasionally (like after exercising), rather than buying seat covers, we purchased a couple of "bath" size ultra white towels and added some inexpensive snaps to fasten the towels around the headrests. This has protected our white seats from transfers (when wet) or dirt - and the towels can be easily washed if they get dirty.

Would also recommend getting Tesla's tire pump/tire repair kit. Since there isn't a spare tire, if you get a puncture, this could allow you to resume your driving until you can make arrangements for permanent tire repair or replacement.

The other items to consider are additional adapters for the UMC. If you're planning to charge at a home using a dryer outlet, you'll need a 14-30 adapter (or possibly 10-30 for older homes).

Wrap the nose, paint is very thin, it will look bad in a few years
Tint the windows and sunroof.
I have an antique, I had to buy a drop in console.
I had to buy Weathertech floor mats, I deal with beach sand and lime stone everyday. It won't come out of regular mats.
Trailer receiver for bike rack. I had to buy gold up bike
My 2 cents

Nice! Any paint protection film needed around the area with the bike rack?

We've purchased 2 Model S and 1 Model X.

Our first Tesla was purchased in early 2013 and traded in last summer for our X, after almost 100K miles.

When we purchased our 2012 S P85, Tesla's standard mats were extremely poor quality - so we purchased Tesla's premium carpet mats - which are now included as standard. With our X, we ordered the hard mats for the front, middle and rear seats.

The only other "upgrade" to our S P85 was adding the center console, which is also now standard.

We didn't install any additional window tinting or wrapping. Even in Texas heat, the including tinting, coupled with overheat protection and pre-cooling with the smartphone app has kept the vehicle comfortable when we get in.

Other than the typical door dings, some gravel nicks on the front (which are easily fixed with a little touchup paint), and some curb rash on the rims - the exterior of the vehicle was in fantastic shape. The paint held up extremely well - and we haven't seen any paint issues with our 2017 S 100D or 2018 X 100D.

The one item we would strongly encourage, especially with the ultra white seats - getting something to cover the seats when you have dirty or wet clothes. This has protected the ultra white seats in our 2017 S & 2018 X. Since we only do this occasionally (like after exercising), rather than buying seat covers, we purchased a couple of "bath" size ultra white towels and added some inexpensive snaps to fasten the towels around the headrests. This has protected our white seats from transfers (when wet) or dirt - and the towels can be easily washed if they get dirty.

Would also recommend getting Tesla's tire pump/tire repair kit. Since there isn't a spare tire, if you get a puncture, this could allow you to resume your driving until you can make arrangements for permanent tire repair or replacement.

The other items to consider are additional adapters for the UMC. If you're planning to charge at a home using a dryer outlet, you'll need a 14-30 adapter (or possibly 10-30 for older homes).

I'm curious about the pre-cooling with the smartphone app - is that unlimited range?

Have you ever used the repair kit? It's my understanding that the stuff won't seal properly because of the foam inner liner on the OEM tires.

The biggest issue with precooling is waking the vehicle so it will accept commands. Since there is no longer any way to disable sleep mode, there can be a delay before the vehicle is awake enough to respond to the smartphone app.

Otherwise, it works great - and we've never returned to our S or X with the interior too hot or too cold...