Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another dink in the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Calm thoughts.......

So Family wagon next to me decides to use my car as a door rest whilst loading shopping and kids in. Caught by Sentry (have viewed the footage but yet to download so don't ask yet ;)) and left a dent and mark in the paint. Have their reg pulling away. Very clear cut and unambiguous

Normally I am a bit "Mañana" about this but this comes on top of another rear bumper scrape (that Sentry missed)and a cyclist going too fast, skidding and hitting me and doing a "Bodie Body Roll" across the bonnet (he admitted liability in between gasps of pain as he caught his testicles on the crossbar!)

My question is that as I don't want a premium hike can I trace them (legally) through the reg and gently suggest (with links to the footage) they may want to give me a call to come to an arrangement?

Calm thoughts.......

So Family wagon next to me decides to use my car as a door rest whilst loading shopping and kids in. Caught by Sentry (have viewed the footage but yet to download so don't ask yet ;)) and left a dent and mark in the paint. Have their reg pulling away. Very clear cut and unambiguous

Normally I am a bit "Mañana" about this but this comes on top of another rear bumper scrape (that Sentry missed)and a cyclist going too fast, skidding and hitting me and doing a "Bodie Body Roll" across the bonnet (he admitted liability in between gasps of pain as he caught his testicles on the crossbar!)

My question is that as I don't want a premium hike can I trace them (legally) through the reg and gently suggest (with links to the footage) they may want to give me a call to come to an arrangement?

Legally trace their reg? Nope unless you involve the rozzers as a hit and run.

Turn it in to your insurance with the video and let them chase. Alas you'll also have to fight a rate hike.

Parking in the wrong place can be expensive :(

This corroborates the statement: https://assets.publishing.service.g...lease-of-information-from-dvlas-registers.pdf

To the OP. Get a quote for a smart repair if possible and then go from there / decide what to do. If you never called the DVLA be prepared deal with arrogance and telling them how to suck eggs depending on who you get for starters.

You have my sentiments. Personally, I dont like to go to the supermarket for this reason. When I do as a last resort, I try to keep it to off peak times, be mindful of what im parking next to and not take to long in there....just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you!

You can use "just cause" to obtain the keepership details of the car from the DVLA, then contact the guilty party and inform him that if he does not fund the full cost of a satisfactory repair, you will sue him for it in the small claims track of the County Court.

From Honest John in The Telegraph

Reactions: M3noob
From the above file

Circumstances that have been judged to meet the reasonable cause criteria include, but are not limited to, safety recalls by manufacturers, minor hit and run incidents not warranting a full police investigation

As said above perfectly legitimate to request a RK details from DVLA as the consequence of a hit and run.

I don’t park in regular spaces wherever possible, even if it means driving around for a bit, or walking further. I’m currently a singleton though, so the only person I’m inconveniencing is myself.

I’d gently message them to say you have video evidence and see where you get, but don’t be surprised if they don’t respond or tell you to jog on.

Not sure how your local law enforcement is fixed BUT I have had some success with ours when I have had similar incidents.

To be honest I was embarrassed how eager they were to trace AND prosecute the culprit.

Suffice to say they paid up pronto once the police had contacted them.

Would it be worth giving them a call to see how they see it and I usually ask for an incident number just to be sure.