Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Yellow borders on main screen- A new fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with a serious yellow border defect also have a Sunroof?
Just as an experiment Park the car in the sun with the roof open so that the sun shines on the mcu for a few hours and see if that helps. Take before and after photos.
I say this because mine was a mild yellowing but for the past couple months I've had the roof open often while driving and I don't see the yellow anymore.

I have mild yellowing and the sunroof. Would be a good experiment to try. Will do so when the weather permits. Even now it seems the yellowing is slightly better than it was in the beginning of the summer. (And yes I have had my sunroof open at times.)

Just noticed that the new screen has a gap between it and the bezel. See attached. Don’t remember the old having such a gap. Is the new screen slightly thinner, do they do it on purpose to avoid the screen edges from heating up and yellowing or what is just misinstalled (though the tech was great and everything else is spotless even though he took apart and put back together almost the entire dash)? Reluctant to have it addressed as the swap created no rattle or anything... Sometimes leaving well enough alone is better... Anyone else got this with their new screen?

If I understand you and the photos, the usable screen area has a black border now not a physical “gap” really. If so, maybe the new screen has a black border that covers the area that is where the adhesive is?

My husband commented recently that the slight yellowing on his MCU doesn’t look as bad as he remembered. We do have a sunroof but use the Tesla sunshade on it all the time. This is our second screen. The first one on our 3/2017 MS was very yellow and was replaced. After some time we had started to notice a yellowing on the replacement as well. Haven’t done anything and sitting it out so all this is interesting. Somewhere in this thread I seem to recall reading that maybe the screen could all be yellowed more so it wouldn’t be noticeable. A black screen border could also hide where the adhesive is. Lots of interesting theories.

Here is a link to the datasheet for the display used in the Tesla S. I have not seen the datasheet link posted here before but the link does appear in the article who's link is posted below. This link may have been posted before, if so I just haven’t seen it.
http://www.acipower.com/LCDFactoryPanel/Datasheet/G170J1-LE1.pdf

Here is an article about the choice of that particular panel. This has been posted here before. It’s well worth reading. It goes into why the panel above was chosen, and it talks about the panel being the reason for the car’s parked cabin overheat protection. I’d assumed overheat protection was a life saving safety measure solely to protect tiny children that had been unintentionally left in hot parked cars, this article says the motivation wasn’t nearly so altruistic. I’m going to try to cling to the child protection aspect. I like the idea Tesla cares about little children. I know I need to let go. I must accept that the child protection I loved so much is simply a way to protect a delicate interior component <sigh>.
Tesla's Screen Saga Shows Why Automotive Grade Matters

The link does lead to anything, it just gets a 404 page.
That is very weird... I do have to login with my Tesla account first, and then the link works for me. I've copied the actual PDF here along with the specific section that mentions 4 years limited lifetime warranty on the Touchscreen and Microcontroller.

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 10.39.28 AM.png

Attachments

• tesla-parts-accessories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf
    42.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Informative
Reactions: T-Mom