Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPel, Opticoat etc. alternative for cheapos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cyclone I'm confused. Why is an older car worth wrapping fully, while a new one is worth wrapping partially?

Because the amount of paint correction my older one needs prior to coating without the benefits of the wrap. I'm only $700 more on the finalized pricing to get my car fully wrapped and coated rather than partially wrapped, corrected, and fully coated. For just a $700 difference, I might as well get all the protection. On a new car, the paint correction would be much less and I would be looking at a $2.5k difference between partial and full wrap.

That's pretty awesome logic cyclone.

Yeah. The detailer said 99% of my imperfections would disappear with a wrap since they are light. However, if I get a paint correction for the coating, the volume of the swirls, spiderwebs, etc. was going to take roughly 14 hours to address, plus 6-7 hours for applying cQuartz Finest. So my price for the pc + coating vs. coating is $1,900 vs. $400. Made more sense to go ahead and get the full wrap in my case.

Last edited:
I did optimum gloss coat on my P85D. Never done anything like it before. I was interested in Modesta but installers not conveniently located to where I live. I'm very happy. Was in a restaurant the other day with heavy rain coming down...my car was close to the door and I was able to watch the rain sheet off it compared to the other cars around mine. I did all the prep work myself including orbital polishing prior to application. Probably cost me around $200 dollars and some elbow grease. Great product.

Okay, so I just got done with the first iteration of wash/liquid glass.
Here is blootiful after 4 hours of hardwork at the beauty parlor.
Note that I have not treated the glass yet, only the paint. And that I have not given it the infrared treatment yet.
So the results are about 25% there so far. It's gonna take 4 more sittings before winters before blootiful is protected for the winter.
Also re: rockchips, in normal urban driving, with 6 car distance set on TACC, I don't see how I could get rock chips. 200 miles in zero blemishes (touch wood). Lets hope I can keep that record.

Anyway, here are some pictures of 4 hours of hardwork.

Blootiful1.png
Blootiful2.png
Blootiful3.png

Its all worth it. I supercharged tonight. Went for a pee, on the way back saw my blootiful from a distance. It looks simply amazing.
I love to see my work shine like that, even though at the end of it all, I was so damned tired. But would do it again in a heartbeat.
I have to leave mine out in the sun tomorrow for the coating to bake before I put a second coating on. I've asked the birds not to poo on it.
I wonder if I should have gone 22ple though, seems easier to apply. :)

I put 22ple XV Pro Glass Coating on mine when I got it in March of 2014, and another coat about 8 months later, and I've been really pleased with the shine, beading and easy of washing. It's super easy to apply too.

If anyone is looking for some, you can find it here (no affiliation to me) with 25% off until July 6 (using coupon code July415):

22ple | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

I've bought from them in the past since I am in Canada and they make it easy to use paypal and ship to my box in the States. Given the sale, I just ordered the new 22ple XV3 (cheaper version) to put on my Leaf. Plus, I just bought the VS1 Final Coat spray to give it a try on my Tesla after I put another coat of the Pro on. They say it last 2 years, but I doubt I'll ever find out since I figure more is always better!

Canuck, there are so many items to purchase there. What is a "tesla kit" one should buy? (basic min # of times one needs)

When I first bought, I bought a kit that came with the "rim and metal coating" but I didn't like it as much as the Pro, which worked better on the chrome and rims than the dedicated product. The "Pro 2" is a new product I've never tried but it gets poor reviews (apparently it doesn't harden on the applicator which is cause for concern). My recommendation for best value and product is the 50 ml bottle of VX Pro and three applicators (they harden and have to be thrown out after one use). I see the 50 ml bottle is out of stock but you can still buy it on sale and it says:

We're sorry, the following item in your cart is currently out of stock:

• 22ple VX Pro Glass Coating - 50 ml. Estimated Ship Date: 7/24/15. Your entire order will not ship until this item is in stock.

Then add three of these:

22ple Glass Coat Applicator (Double Sided) | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

I also read on a detailing forum that the VS1 Spray bottle (to apply after the Pro) has got really good reviews, so you may want to buy it too. 22ple Pro loses out in reviews on initial shine (but its shine outlasts other products over time). This new spray apparently adds more shine and beading.

22ple VS1 Final Coat - 250 ml | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

If you want it fast, and everything you need for one coat, including the small bottle of Pro (20ml), one applicator and 250ml spray, this is a good kit, especially at 25% off:

22ple Pro Paint Protection Kit | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

Good luck! Here's what got me onto this product:

This product is a game changer! - 22ple VX1 Pro Coating - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Don't forget to start off with doing an IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) wipe down. Use a mixture of 50% Isopropyl Alcohol with 50% distilled water in a spray bottle. After you wash and dry your car, first spray each section to be treated then wipe off with a clean microfiber cloth, making sure it is completely dry before you apply the Pro coating:

WAX-IT - Do It Yourself - 22ple VX1 PRO Application - YouTube

Last edited:
Thanks Canuck! I wonder if I can do 22ple after all the stuff I've put on the car or not .. guess I need to research.
In the meanwhile, blootiful paid her second visit to the beauty parlor. After a 4 hour sitting, and a ridiculous amount of hardwork by me, she has come out shiny as below.
10 days, 400 miles into ownership, no rock chips, no swirls, no weird scratch marks. It rained on her last night, but I think she took it quite well. The water beaded up very nicely, and when I got home, the front was already dry (wind), and I just wiped her ass with an old soft cotton tshirt.
So far the experiment seems succesful. If she looks like this next summer, I will declare victory :)
Note that so far I have done zero treatment to glass and wheels. Just the paint portion.

Pasted_Image_7_9_15__5_43_PM.png

What are you planning to do for these?

For glass, I am going to use Aquapel, and for wheels Armorall wheel protectant.

Model S defrosting is nearly not as good as an ICE. Understandable since it doesn't have heat to waste. Aquapel has the added advantage that you almost never need to use wipers with Aquapel on.
Also one of the reasons I got pano roof was because glass is easier to take care of than paint. This is a big car, by the time I am done waxing, polishing the whole thing, I am ready for a bacon cheeseburger.
I like pano roof anyway, but this was another reason.

For glass, I am going to use Aquapel, and for wheels Armorall wheel protectant.

I am thinking of putting Aquapel on my windshield. I have found that when it rains, the water is smearing/sticking to the windshield. During the day it looks like a normal water smear for untreated windshields, but at night, it makes it very difficult as street lights are glaring against the smear and making the windshield appear opaque and very difficult to drive. I wonder if I do have something on my windshield that needs to be cleaned off. Guess I have some Google searching to do.

I am thinking of putting Aquapel on my windshield. I have found that when it rains, the water is smearing/sticking to the windshield. During the day it looks like a normal water smear for untreated windshields, but at night, it makes it very difficult as street lights are glaring against the smear and making the windshield appear opaque and very difficult to drive. I wonder if I do have something on my windshield that needs to be cleaned off. Guess I have some Google searching to do.

Looking forward to what you find out :)