Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

X not shutting down after driver Exit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings!! i am new to this club. i have been trying to find a answer for my X which started acting weird couple of days ago. the car wont shut after i exit the car. everything stays on. even when i try to lock by FOB or app it stays on. i have to manually shut down the car every time i exit the car. did a lot of research online but no concrete answer. asked service center to help here in Indianapolis and still waiting for a reply. i would really appreciate any of you out there helping me troubleshoot this issue.

@yohaans , welcome! Some quick checks you can do:
1. Put car in 'P'ark;
2. Make sure that the climate controls are not set to "Keep Climate On", or "Dog Mode";
3. Also check the operation of "Cabin Overheat Protection", on pp. 135-136 of the Model X Owner's manual (2019.16.1.1, May 16, 2019);
4. Make sure you store your key fob far away from the car when parked at your home.

One last thing. The manual can be read from the Center Console, in a pinch. I prefer to read the PDF on my Macbook.

@yohaans , welcome! Some quick checks you can do:
1. Put car in 'P'ark;
2. Make sure that the climate controls are not set to "Keep Climate On", or "Dog Mode";
3. Also check the operation of "Cabin Overheat Protection", on pp. 135-136 of the Model X Owner's manual (2019.16.1.1, May 16, 2019);
4. Make sure you store your key fob far away from the car when parked at your home.

One last thing. The manual can be read from the Center Console, in a pinch. I prefer to read the PDF on my Macbook.

Thank you for your feedback on the same. but i dont think any of this is issue. suddenly it stopped working couple of day back and i have not changed any settings. even if the FOB is far away and climate is Off still having that issue. when i click the FOB to lock the car the mirrors dont fold and screens dont shut. i have to manually go on the main screen and poweroff the car.

@yohaans, how long have you left everything "on" with the fob far away? I'm wondering if maybe it would all be off if you checked after an hour, for instance (you'd need to not plug in to charge until after this time has passed). It has occurred to me that the weight sensor in the driver seat could be stuck in the "driver detected" position, and I'm not sure of a more direct way to verify that safely. I do know that even with the keyfob in the car, everything does shut off after you sit long enough, but I don't know how long "long enough" is or whether the key being present is relevant while a driver is detected by the seat.

I wonder if the weight on seat sensor is messed up and it still detects someone in a seat. If it does that and if the fob is relatively close my car does not "turn off".
The Instrument Cluster tends to stay awake for about 60 seconds after the car is initially plugged in. Have you tried walking away from the car, and revisiting it after that interval?

I would add, without your key near the car. Preferably 50 or more feet away in a drawer.