Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you purchase an older Tesla (2014) that has Free Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sam EE

Nov 30, 2023
UK
I am in the UK and a Model S P85 is available for 20k GBP (25K USD). Would you say it's a good deal?

Just concerned with the reliability.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks so much.

I am in the UK and a Model S P85 is available for 20k GBP (25K USD). Would you say it's a good deal?

Just concerned with the reliability.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks so much.

I would recommend contacting Tesla with the VIN to make sure the free SC will definitely transfer to you. I had a 2016 P100D with free SC. When I purchased the car, I was told the free SC would transfer to a new owner. When I sold the car about 3 years ago, I advertised the car has free unlimited SC which will transfer to the new owner.
Unfortunately, Tesla had previously changed the rules regarding free SC transfers which I wasn't aware of and the free SC did not transfer to the buyer. Even though it wasn't my fault, the buyer still bought a car that was advertised with free SC so I had to make it right which I did. The situation was super annoying.
Just do your own checking on the free SC. Cheers

Reactions: dsm363
2015 and earlier models seem to be having HV battery pack failures somewhat frequently... Especially the 85 packs from what I have seen. Perhaps represented disproportionately as everyone who has a problem asks about it versus probably thousands for every one of them without any issues.

This is a big ticket item around 15k USD depending on if you replace with a remanufactured or new pack.

Whether this is due to age or underlying design failure I do not know.

Please do familiarise yourself with the intricacies of SC01 code for free supercharging, this is a very important piece of information needed to ascertain whether you will inherit free supercharging for life or not. Additionally, Tesla is offering free supercharging transfer incentives to owners of older model S looking to purchase a new Tesla, beware of that complication as well.

If you are planning to drive the hell out of the car and supercharge all the time, the calculation may work in your favor, even if you have to replace the battery. A replacement battery will carry a 4 year / 50k warranty. Energy costs in the UK are like 3x that of most of the US. I'd run some calcuations and see if it works out for you.