Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you join the Elon's Robo-Taxi Fleet with your Tesla?

Would you place your Tesla in Elon's Robo-Taxi Fleet to earn $$$?

• Yes

• No... never

• Maybe... I'll explain the circumstances in the thread below.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan to if parts availability/repair durations decline to days not weeks, because being in the network will increase accident/damage frequency vs only my use, and for it to make sense to put my car in the network I need it in use, not waiting months for parts like it would wait today (all too often). Also I'd need the ability to only dispatch my car to family/friends. Zero chance I'll subject it to the general public.

The whole notion of the network, in my mind, is to increase rideshare capability so that the overall quantity of vehicles in a given geography is reduced. This will contribute importantly to energy reduction by fewer vehicles being produced, stored, idled, and so forth. I'll do my part in that journey, if I can constrain access as described above, and if Tesla can turn around injured vehicles faster than today.

THIS is exactly why I’m concerned about the Tesla Network. The potential for an amazing and world-changing service is absolutely there, but Tesla’s constrained resources make me think that there will be far too many potholes in the road. You need a veritable army to do this right, providing a seamless experience for both riders and owners and giving everyone the personal protections they expect (and this is separate and apart from getting FSD to work reliably!).
Look at how large Uber and Lyft and Airbnb are - you would need a similarly sized division within Tesla to do this with any success. Otherwise it will remain a poorly functioning and underutilized parlor trick, kind of like Autopark.

Look, I LOVE the Company, what it stands for and it’s mission, but let’s be honest...managerially at least right now, Tesla is super week with regards to policies, consistency, follow-up, communication, refunds, etc. In short, basically everything you’d need to successfully pull off the Tesla Network in a way that would not shaft Tesla owners the Company is terrible at...

Look, I LOVE the Company, what it stands for and it’s mission, but let’s be honest...managerially at least right now, Tesla is super week with regards to policies, consistency, follow-up, communication, refunds, etc. In short, basically everything you’d need to successfully pull off the Tesla Network in a way that would not shaft Tesla owners the Company is terrible at...

I kind of see Elon underestimating the effort needed to do all of that stuff right. Could see him thinking "If we get FSD working, the rest will be gravy." It's true that the self-driving part is the obvious key, but Waymo and Uber are probably much better equipped for the rideshare program part of the equation. I could even see Tesla winning the self-driving race only to fumble the rideshare part terribly.

I like the idea of buying the car now and enjoying it personally for 3-5 years and then letting it enter the Robo-Taxi Fleet to make $10,000+ or more per year. Perhaps a good investment, that as an 'appreciating asset", will pay for its replacment. This may be the best way to way to finance my Model Y down the line. The real question is if it makes more sense to "Trade In" your Tesla in 3 years or keep it and enter the Robo-Taxi Fleet and use those $10,000/yr proceeds to finance your next Tesla... ???

I'm with you 100%. Right now, nah. But in a few years, sure. I like the idea of sitting at work while my car makes me money....to buy another Tesla. haha

Reactions: APotatoGod
how many doors will be damaged by this?

I have to show every person how to open the doors. The general public will just bash on the doors lol. Then once they get in, they'll be like... how the fk do i get out!

This is very true, however, my 75 yo mother was able to figure it out by herself. Besides, I'm sure Tesla will be able to show an image of how to open/close the doors for first-time users of the network on their app.

Tesla's stated depreciation/mile for Model S is $1. That is lower than what they offered me in trade, which was $1.10/mile loss of value over four years. This is the Achilles heel. If I allow a new Tesla to be rented out, not only does the mileage rate have to be above $1.10/mile, but it needs to cover insurance, tires, and normal wear/tear. Keep in mind that the renters will be doing jack rabbit starts just for the fun of it and basically eat up a set of tires every 15k miles. Add those items up plus the need to be constantly cleaning it, and I think the value proposition puts the rental rate/mile in the $2.50 range in order to be both profitable and 'worth it', meaning 20% profit margin. Since Uber is at $2/mile at the upper end, this is not a competitive market model for the average Tesla owner. Conversely, Tesla Motors would be renting used cars, i.e. lower depreciation, and it may be that the lower entry price of a Model 3 will change the depreciation cost structure. But until my Model S is has a market value of less than $20k, I am not sure it is in my best interest to loan it out.

I would not with my S or X but I might consider buying the cheapest Model 3 with to use in the network and sell a few years later just to see how it goes. I have had a 3rd spare for many years and sold that one when we sent 100% EV but definitely would think about a 3rd spare car that could also earn some $$ instead of staying parked in the garage.

Reactions: HyperionMark
I voted "maybe" because it depends entirely on how the Tesla Network will work. if I get to be in the car when it picks people up, sure. If I can use it to pick up family and friends sure. But just sending my beloved "Flash" off on its own where who knows what strangers might do to it while I am away, heck NO!
You named your car Flash too? :) I spell mine differently though. It’s FLAshhh.

• Funny
It will depend on how much you can make and what the “insurance” is like. I hear people saying you could charge a lot less than Uber. Well, why not more? No driver to assault you, more privacy, hopefully better driving, and it’s a Tesla. If Tesla can take care of reparing damage as part of their side of the bargain I could see doing it (since they have all the parts that would get scratched if you are OCD about your car). I ABB my house, and I no longer worry about it (10+ years). There is nothing in the house I can’t fix though. A Tesla, not so much.

• Informative
Yes, I did. I am a big fan of the Flash character. My Model 3 is red like the Flash's costume. And since Teslas are known to be fast, like the Flash, I figured it would be a good name. :)
Yeah, I have the Flash theme song on my Amazon play list. I wish it would play it on start up, at least the “Flash, Ah-ah, he’s the savior of the universe”. Not sure how long that would take to get old, maybe never though. Mine is red too.

THIS is exactly why I’m concerned about the Tesla Network. The potential for an amazing and world-changing service is absolutely there, but Tesla’s constrained resources make me think that there will be far too many potholes in the road. You need a veritable army to do this right, providing a seamless experience for both riders and owners and giving everyone the personal protections they expect (and this is separate and apart from getting FSD to work reliably!).
Look at how large Uber and Lyft and Airbnb are - you would need a similarly sized division within Tesla to do this with any success. Otherwise it will remain a poorly functioning and underutilized parlor trick, kind of like Autopark.

Bingo.

People are struggling to get Tesla to be responsive when they are trying to buy a $50,000 product from them, now imagine how Tesla service & support are going to handle 100's of thousands of privately owned Teslas operating in some kind of ride share arrangement.

GIF--laughing-funny-LOL-haha-hehe-hilarious-fun-happy-laugh-Ron-Swanson-Nick-Offerman-Parks-and-Recreation-GIF.gif

Reactions: Perry and pipestem