Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wonder how many people are going to flip their Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It comes down to intent. The IRS regulation says the car cannot be intended for resale to be eligible for the rebate. There is a big difference between keeping it for several months and then selling it. On the other hand if you purchased it, took delivery and the next day sold, it IRS could probably ligitably say you intended to sell you when you purchased it. Also the new buyer is not eligible for the rebate because the rebate are only available if you purchased it directly from the dealer/manufacturer. Because most state have a 6-8 percent sales tax you have to figure that into your flipping equation. There were several who purchaded Model X's to resale who were never able to sell it as Tesla is turning around orders for loaded cars very fast.
Very important part which negates the flipping potential. I'd figure most people who'd want the 3 desperately enough to pay an all-in premium of 20% on top of retail would've already reserved as early as possible. And most people with early reservations because they waited in line or already own Teslas probably wouldn't let it go for a small premium. There might be a small handful of wacko East coasters who can't wait the extra 6-9 months, but I doubt it would be common.

It comes down to intent. The IRS regulation says the car cannot be intended for resale to be eligible for the rebate. There is a big difference between keeping it for several months and then selling it. On the other hand if you purchased it, took delivery and the next day sold, it IRS could probably ligitably say you intended to sell you when you purchased it. Also the new buyer is not eligible for the rebate because the rebate are only available if you purchased it directly from the dealer/manufacturer. Because most state have a 6-8 percent sales tax you have to figure that into your flipping equation. There were several who purchaded Model X's to resale who were never able to sell it as Tesla is turning around orders for loaded cars very fast.

If it comes down to intent, then lots of luck to the IRS!

If the IRS can demonstrate that no one ever changed their mind about a car purchase after they bought it, whether it was after a month, a week or a day, and they can prove that they know what a person was thinking when they purchased the car, they MAY have a case.

There are 9 Model X on eBay right now with very low miles and in one case selling at MSRP with 88 miles. So it isn't as if people don't change their minds about a purchase.

Besides, I haven't looked at the forms recently, how would they even know that you sold it or when you sold it?

Of course the new owner doesn't get the tax rebate - but they get a car that they would otherwise have to wait for several months if not longer for.

Not all States have sales tax.

The point is, there is

If it comes down to intent, then lots of luck to the IRS!
Just from seeing cases about reporting mileage, actually it would be best of luck to the owner. The burden of proof is typically on the owner, not the IRS, esp. when we are talking about deductions. The IRS doesn't have to demonstrate that there are no false positives, only that it is extremely plausible that you bought the car to resell (and selling off the next day for a sizable profit would be a very good sign).

For the mileage example, there are cases where it is extremely clear that the owner did use a personal vehicle for business (basically it would be impossible for them to have done the business without using their own vehicle at least occasionally), but because they didn't have the records to prove it, the entire deduction was voided. The court still sided with the IRS.

Besides, I haven't looked at the forms recently, how would they even know that you sold it or when you sold it?
They would know when you report a capital gain from the sale (which you would have a gain if you are a flipper). If you are just selling off, you most likely would not have a gain (or would have a loss). Then if they ever do an audit, they would catch it something like this.

Disclaimer: I am not a tax professional, I just happened to have looked at some of these things recently because of tax season.

If the production ramp up is slow, I'm sure there is a chance that the first few thousand owners, most likely in California, could find buyers who would pay a lot over MSRP to have the new flashly Tesla. But by the time most of us start receiving cars, production rates will probably have increased dramatically, and the desire for people to pay a lot over MSRP will drop substantially. I'm planning on a $55k price for my Mode l3, and I have to pay 9% sales tax where I live. It's not worth my time or effort to flip unless I was at least getting $15-$20k over MSRP. And even then I would still probably keep the car.

I would think that if someone was able to get their car with the full rebate. Then the rebates went away and the wait time for a car was 2-3 years. Then they could totally sell it for a close to 10k profit (not including the rebate). But really only if they didn't need the car anymore. I mean if you really like your car then knowing what it's worth and how long you don't have to wait makes you happier to have it. Selling the would be more out of necessity for most who would do it. But I wouldn't really call that a flip. That's just my 2¢

Hopefully all this discussion doesn't apply to title transfer? for ex if I reserved for my brother who was out of the country, then when the vehicles are delivered we go to the DMV and have a title transfer for $0 (excluding fees), that's not totally abominable right?

• Disagree
Reactions: Drivin
Hopefully all this discussion doesn't apply to title transfer? for ex if I reserved for my brother who was out of the country, then when the vehicles are delivered we go to the DMV and have a title transfer for $0 (excluding fees), that's not totally abominable right?

I would try to get it titled in his name when it is delivered, otherwise that seems like a $0 sale to me.

It isn't a judgement call (abominable). But according to these definitions, neither you or your brother would be allowed the tax credit.
You bought the car WITH the intention of reselling it. Reselling does NOT require a profit to occur.

Is it reselling it if his brother is the first to register it? Or did he simply reserve it for his brother and his brother is the purchaser by registering it in his name first.

It isn't a judgement call (abominable). But according to these definitions, neither you or your brother would be allowed the tax credit.
You bought the car WITH the intention of reselling it. Reselling does NOT require a profit to occur.

Flipping something does not actual require a profit.
Most definitions of it mention profit:
"DEFINITION of 'Flipping'
A type of real estate investment strategy in which an investor purchases properties with the goal of reselling them for a profit."
Flipping Definition | Investopedia
"Flipping is a term used primarily in the United States to describe purchasing a revenue-generating asset and quickly reselling (or "flipping") it for profit."
Flipping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While presumably a "flipper" may sometimes acquire a property and overestimate its value and end up not making a profit, the situation described by sports4eva115 clearly does not fall under this.

Bad news: Besides not getting the tax rebate, In California, when you transfer the title, you brother will have to pay sales tax on the purchase. So you will be paying taxes twice.
Good news: California needs all the tax money it can get!