Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper Issues on both my 2022 & 2023 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's when you're using auto mode that's a known issue. Up until just very recently, when you engaged autopilot auto wiper mode would be on and you couldn't turn off the wipers. You could change from auto to one of the regular speeds but you could not completely turn off the wipers.

One of the more recent updates now allows you to turn off the wipers completely when autopilot is engaged, but it is still defaulted to on when you engage autopilot.

Does anyone else have this issue.
Yes. Initially and for some time after taking delivery, the auto wipers were just stupid. So stupid as to be a hazard. Then, after an update, the issues went away and auto wipers worked perfectly for over a year. Now they are stupid again even worse than ever. They often don't even come on when needed as well as wiping when windshield is dry. Have to use manual control most of the time now. This all just recently.

For the first 10 months and 15K miles in my '23 MY, I had very few problems with the auto wipers. I had a few "phantom wipes" and sometimes the wipers wouldn't come on as soon as I would normally turn them on, but they weren't nearly as bad as what I read from others.

On February 4, 2024, I updated from 2023.44.38.8 to 2024.2.2.1.

The auto wipers worked as expected until the morning of February 21, 2024 when I experienced "phantom wipes" on a clean, dry windshield.

That evening, I updated from 2024.2.2.1 to 2024.2.7 and also cleaned the windshield (even though it was already clean) hoping that one or both would stop the phantom wipes.

Unfortunately, the phantom wipes got worse and they now happen several times on every drive - by far the worst behavior since I've owned the vehicle.

I've talked to others who have reported similar behavior on a similar timeline, so I feel pretty sure that something after 2023.44.30.8 severely degraded the performance of the auto wipers.

For almost a year, I couldn't relate to the auto wiper complaints I was reading. Now, they alone are ruining my enjoyment of this vehicle. It is so bad that I've had to turn the wipers off manually and avoid using TACC or AS since using those features turns set the wipers back to auto and I have to open the controls and turn the wipers off manually every time I engage TACC or AS and hope that I can do so.

Reactions: Cobe
I have also noticed this issue since an update a couple of months ago and it is still present after the last dot release bug fix load.

Wiper will turn on periodically when windshield is dry and completely clean.

Worse, when it does this it does one half hearted wipe and then the wipers do not stow back under the hood as they are supposed to, a few inches of the wiper arms will be protruding. Sometimes it will sort itself out and tuck the wiper later.

It's pretty annoying.

I commented to my wife that the only thing that Tesla is better at than improving the technology in the cars is breaking something new with each update.

• Informative
Reactions: zroger73
I have also noticed this issue since an update a couple of months ago and it is still present after the last dot release bug fix load.

Wiper will turn on periodically when windshield is dry and completely clean.

Worse, when it does this it does one half hearted wipe and then the wipers do not stow back under the hood as they are supposed to, a few inches of the wiper arms will be protruding. Sometimes it will sort itself out and tuck the wiper later.

It's pretty annoying.

I commented to my wife that the only thing that Tesla is better at than improving the technology in the cars is breaking something new with each update.
Yeah, something apparently changed with one of the 2024.2 updates. I get a few phantom swipes every other drive or so since one of the 2024.2 updates. At least it's always one swipe and my wiper blades are not chattering on the windshield. Hopefully they get this sorted sometime soon.

• Informative
Hello from Moe:

My windshield wipers on both my Teslas seem to start up in dry weather. Very intermittent. This just started after the last update:V11.1 Does anyone else have this issue.

Big Moe
its more about the base code, mine being 2024.2.7
although not perfect, auto wipers does work for us, 3 Ts
was driving in a lot of rain over the weekend, occasionally had to force on from auto and force off from auto, rarely
when dry out, no issue with the wipers being in the auto setting

These dry wipes are frustrating, embarrassing, and damaging to the windshield and wiper blades. Until Tesla gets this figured out (if it's even possible with the current hardware), I wish they'd allow the wipers to remain off when turned off without turning back on auto every time the cruise control is set.

These dry wipes are frustrating, embarrassing, and damaging to the windshield and wiper blades. Until Tesla gets this figured out (if it's even possible with the current hardware), I wish they'd allow the wipers to remain off when turned off without turning back on auto every time the cruise control is set.
"Cruise control?" Is that what we've devolved to? This *sugar* cost thousands of dollars you know? :eek:

• Funny
Well, I tried FSDb. It didn't work well for me.

I used to like Autosteer, but the novelty of that wore off, too.

These days, I only use TACC and I've mostly stopped using that since the wipers went stupid a few weeks ago.

Ideally, I'd like for auto wipers to work. If not, give me full manual control at all times.

I'd be okay with a "basic" cruise control, too. :)