Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Supercharging rate graph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cuttin

Oct 25, 2018
Nj
Has anyone seen a graph of sorts for the temp and soc and SC speed?

I had two winters in my 2017 MX 75D and now starting 3rd. It seems to be slower than I remember.

I just charged at cold temp, 30s/40s Fahrenheit about, but car was very warm. Had 45min drive and had SC in nav so battery should have been at ideal temp.
Soc was around 20percent.

It started at 55kw then SLOWLY went to 105ish then quickly dropped to 90s then 70s until I unplugged at around 45soc.

1. Shouldn't I have been at around 110-120 for most of the time?

3 of 8 chargers were full. I was NOT shared.

2. If it was a faulty SC then I should have never reached the relatively high rate of 105ish. I'm thinking.

I've been seeing similar lately, but this is my first Winter with X.
I had Model 3 last winter, it struggled with high charge rates in winter as well, but the precondition on route to supercharger was not released yet.

Model S/X does not boost heating when routed to Supercharger like Model 3 does.
But if you turn Range Mode OFF it will heat the battery while driving until you reach Full Regen (I think) (regardless of what your routing to).

I normally have Range Mode on and the only Battery Heating I see is while charging.
When range mode is off, it heats pretty fast. Not sure if it's enough to get really high Kw.
I tried it the other day and Range Mode off helped quite a bit and I think I just broke 120 Kw (V2 charger as far as I know, Max 150 kw)
Most I've seen in that charger is around 130 Kw. I'm not complaining. I super charge a lot and don't care if it's blazing fast.

If you arrive with a cold soaked battery by the time it's warm enough it's gone past the peak Kw range.

How much Regen did you have when you arrived at SuperCharger?

I've been seeing similar lately, but this is my first Winter with X.
I had Model 3 last winter, it struggled with high charge rates in winter as well, but the precondition on route to supercharger was not released yet.

Model S/X does not boost heating when routed to Supercharger like Model 3 does.
But if you turn Range Mode OFF it will heat the battery while driving until you reach Full Regen (I think) (regardless of what your routing to).

I normally have Range Mode on and the only Battery Heating I see is while charging.
When range mode is off, it heats pretty fast. Not sure if it's enough to get really high Kw.
I tried it the other day and Range Mode off helped quite a bit and I think I just broke 120 Kw (V2 charger as far as I know, Max 150 kw)
Most I've seen in that charger is around 130 Kw. I'm not complaining. I super charge a lot and don't care if it's blazing fast.

If you arrive with a cold soaked battery by the time it's warm enough it's gone past the peak Kw range.

How much Regen did you have when you arrived at SuperCharger?

I had full regen.
Battery must have been warm as I drove for about 30-40mins. Range mod off.

It seems to require higher temps now for the full speeds, the curve changed during the summer. 200 miles / 300km of normal driving does the trick..

Where do you get that info from?

200 miles is nearly all of my available range displayed.

No where near that in winter highway driving.

Isn't having full regen available an indicator of a fully warmed battery?

Where do you get that info from?

200 miles is nearly all of my available range displayed.

No where near that in winter highway driving.

Isn't having full regen available an indicator of a fully warmed battery?

No, that means you can charge at 65kW max which is the max regen rate. Also, at this point the battery is at or bit over 10degC and you need 30 for the full speeds. I can normally reach 30degC battery by running it empty if it’s -10C outside.

Data is from scan my tesla obd app.

No, that means you can charge at 65kW max which is the max regen rate. Also, at this point the battery is at or bit over 10degC and you need 30 for the full speeds. I can normally reach 30degC battery by running it empty if it’s -10C outside.

Data is from scan my tesla obd app.

That's VERY usefull info.

1. Is there a simple way of knowing ur batter temp?
2. By plugging in SC location in nav does it warm battery upto ideal temp, which ur saying is 30c?

Ive always used the regen indication as a proxy for battery temp but I guess that's not fully the picture.

3. So to clarify. When regen is fully available that only means that the battery is around 10c and you need 30c to charge at max rate?

That's VERY usefull info.

1. Is there a simple way of knowing ur batter temp?
2. By plugging in SC location in nav does it warm battery upto ideal temp, which ur saying is 30c?

Ive always used the regen indication as a proxy for battery temp but I guess that's not fully the picture.

3. So to clarify. When regen is fully available that only means that the battery is around 10c and you need 30c to charge at max rate?

1. No, unless you count obd as simple
2. S/X no ( or maybe very rarely ). 3 yes.
3. Yes.

Reactions: Cuttin