Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter and Teslas, Global Thread, Let’s Hear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kpanda17

Oct 17, 2022
USA
Let’s hear from those living with Teslas in the extreme cold:

Norway
Sweden
Finland
Iceland <- amazing
Russia
Alaska
Yukon
Canadian Northern Territories
Etc

Looking for what life is like in extreme cold and snow with Teslas and other EVs, operating, maintaining, charging, etc

Btw and unrelated to the topic, I was just in Portugal, northern Spain and SW France and only saw Tesla EVs

My 2021 AWD model 3 is much more stable on poor roads than my 4x4 truck. I only drive the truck when the ground clearance of the model 3 is problematic or I need to do "truck stuff" like haul my trailer.

The car is never sluggish when it is cold. The electronic nannies can be a bit heavy-handed, but it's very hard to get the car to do something stupid as long as you know how to drive in winter weather. Nothing will help the morons who think rapid attitude changes and touching brakes are good ideas though.

If it's cold (cold starts about -10F/-23C) and windy (>15mph/23kph sustained), then I charge the car to 100% instead of 90% to maintain a safety margin. I did manage to get home one day last week with 8% remaining charge, so I'm glad I bumped the charge to 100%, even if I can't always get to 100% in the time I'm home on work days. If it's cold and calm, it's not a problem. The car is much more sensitive to wind than cold.

Car in "defrost mode" will deplete the battery a couple percent when plugged into a 40A circuit (32A charge rate). It'll deplete a much larger percent of the battery if you leave it on for an extended period of time while not on shore power. I think it's usually better to "defrost mode" for no more than 5 minutes, then set climate to your normal temp (72 for me). The initial blast will soften any ice well enough to come right off unless you're caught in freezing rain.

The whine of the front motor as it runs inefficiently to build heat can be annoying.

The car starts pumping out heat in about a minute. Much faster than any ICE vehicle I've had, even faster than my truck that has supplemental electric coils to defrost the windshield.

Heated steering wheel is the best thing ever. Better than heated seats. If I could only have one, I'd keep the heated wheel and give up heated seats.

Leaving climate on with car not moving, it'll take a little over 1.5% battery charge per hour at 72 degree setpoint when it's like -10F/-23C.

Freezing fog will mean scraping off headlights as those LED lights don't heat up enough to keep clear. Same thing with snow; if it's not blowing off by moving, you'll have to pay attention to diminishing light output and then clear the headlights manually. Same applies to taillights.

Blended regen braking is a must. The car behavior shifts too much without that turned on (we all get complacent).

Autopilot and TACC kind of suck in winter weather. Autopilot because it likes to wander if you're driving in the right lane like you're supposed to and have on/off ramps where the car will try to center itself in the lane where it thinks the lane is now 50% larger than it is, and it does this rather abruptly.

The stock all-season MXM4 18" tires on my LR AWD were extremely poor cold weather tires (or warm weather, or wet weather). Michelin CC2 tires are excellent on ice and snow, but will gobble about 11% of your range due to higher rolling resistance.

The driver's side windshield wiper fluid dispense is poor. I know the car wants the cameras cleared, but when I'm running the juice, it's because I need to see. My car dispenses probably 15% on driver's side and 85% on passenger side. End result is the side without the driver will be clear, and the side with the driver will have bottom half of that side smeared with salt grime.

My car doesn't have heated resting place for wipers, and that sucks as the wipers ice up. Now, to be fair, any vehicle is prone to wiper icing, but still (pretty sure this was fixed after I got my 2021).

The car does not register falling temps fast enough to prevent interior fogging. It takes the car almost 20 minutes to notice that it's not 15 degrees outside like it was in the garage, it's actually -15, and when you're going 70MPH, that means it doesn't direct enough air at the windshield in auto to keep it from fogging. On cold days, I have to put climate into manual until the car registers the actual outside air temp, then it can go back to auto and works fine. To be fair, this is not purely telsa specific either, but it is worse in the model 3 than it is in my pickup.

Those "birth control hubcaps" are worth putting on when it's below freezing for the extra few percent of efficiency you gain. Yeah, they're ugly as sin, but 3-4% is 3-4%...