Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows no longer roll up when cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently got a recall notification for Canada saying that the force sensor for the windows was set too high for Canadian standards so the force before the window reverses was reduced.

OK no problem, right?

Now that it is -25°C or lower the windows are no longer closing when the door is closed. The small roll down to miss the trim means that when you get out, the windows do not roll back up. They try to, then reverse. Trying to close them from the app outside the car doesn't work either. I have to get in and hold the window switch and even then sometimes it takes a few tries. Not ideal when I parked at the grocery store the other day and my window was open while it was snowing out.

I've tried lubing the window tracks with silicone spray. I will probably have to reach out to service on this. Has anyone else in Canada run into this since the recall last month? Last winter I had zero issues with the windows even at -40°.

Reactions: 94874
Sit in the drive seat with all doors closed then roll the window thats the problem fully down, then fully up, then fully down, and fully up.

I did that when my force sensor was set too low and the window will auto roll down 3" after i let go of the button. The above steps fixed my windows issue
That does work usually as a workaround for me but again today it was cold (-36) and it bounced back at the top again. I'll contact service.

Also, it's not just one window it is all windows. Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, I just started having this issue too. Any time its about 10F or colder the rear windows won't roll all the way up. First time it happened I threw my jacket in the rear seat before going into the store so I didn't have to wear it inside. It was dark out so I didn't notice and after the store I drove away and noticed it was down, because well, 10F air blowing around will be noticed quickly. But it wouldn't roll up, kept going to the top then going back down a few inches. Had to drive 15 minutes home with the damn window down.

Tonight it was -7F and I had hell of a time. Had to open the door to try rolling it up several times before it would stay all the way up, then close the door, where it would just roll back down again. Stood there for 5 min trying before it finally stayed all the way up. I'm guessing the weather stripping gets hard from the cold and won't flex out of the way so to speak as it rolls up to the top, so the pressure sensor thinks something is in the way. That and/or maybe there's some grease in the mechanism that gets too viscous causing the extra force.

I hate winter here. Want to move somewhere that below 40 is considered cold, not below 0.

It warmed up after I first had the issue and now it is -30 again so I assume it's going to be a problem now. If it happens again I will submit a service request for hopefully mobile service since I am a few hours from a service center.

Today I had a similar issue. When passenger door was opened, the window auto-cracked per usual, but then when door was closed it went up, then immediately back down. I open the Tesla app, click to close the window and it goes down further each time I press it. I was able to close it by using the driver side window control. Never had it do this before. Has been very cold lately, today's temp was a high of low 20s *F, roads still holding some ice/snow.

Today I had a similar issue. When passenger door was opened, the window auto-cracked per usual, but then when door was closed it went up, then immediately back down. I open the Tesla app, click to close the window and it goes down further each time I press it. I was able to close it by using the driver side window control. Never had it do this before. Has been very cold lately, today's temp was a high of low 20s *F, roads still holding some ice/snow.
Exactly the same issue as me then. It happened again last week when it was really cold. I haven't called for service yet though because it's warmed up now again.

I traveled this week for first time and parked car as it slightly snowed. When I went out in the morning I almost broke a window due to it not coming down upon opening door. Once I realized what happened I couldn't get any windows to roll down and was afraid to try and close the door because the window was not dropping down to close? Any suggestions?

I traveled this week for first time and parked car as it slightly snowed. When I went out in the morning I almost broke a window due to it not coming down upon opening door. Once I realized what happened I couldn't get any windows to roll down and was afraid to try and close the door because the window was not dropping down to close? Any suggestions?
Did it try to move at all if you hit the switch? If so it just means Ice had formed at the base of the window and was naming it open. Best bet is at least 15 min preheat, if not longer. I default to 30 mins, but I’ve got an X, so there’s more interior space to warm up.

Did it try to move at all if you hit the switch? If so it just means Ice had formed at the base of the window and was naming it open. Best bet is at least 15 min preheat, if not longer. I default to 30 mins, but I’ve got an X, so there’s more interior space to warm up.
Thanks. I believe you're correct but the windows would not move at all. I placed on full heat for about 15 minutes and they finally came down.

Reactions: Vawlkus